Eu Citizen, US Psych PhD - Practice in Europe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ash12

Reaction score
I am midway through my accredited clinical psychology PhD program in the US. I have dual citizenship (EU/USA) and am curious about practicing in Europe once I finish my schooling and clinical training. Do people have insight into which European countries may be easiest to practice in or have experience practicing abroad and have insight into the pros/cons or intricacies of practicing outside of the US with a US degree?

Members don't see this ad.

I am midway through my accredited clinical psychology PhD program in the US. I have dual citizenship (EU/USA) and am curious about practicing in Europe once I finish my schooling and clinical training. Do people have insight into which European countries may be easiest to practice in or have experience practicing abroad and have insight into the pros/cons or intricacies of practicing outside of the US with a US degree?
Do you speak the languages of any EU countries other than English? There may be some market for English-language services, but most licensing boards are going to want at least working proficiency, if not fluency, in the local language, and most people are going to want therapy in their native language.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you speak the languages of any EU countries other than English? There may be some market for English-language services, but most licensing boards are going to want at least working proficiency, if not fluency, in the local language, and most people are going to want therapy in their native language.
Ireland could be a decent bet back when I was researching this, as going out of the country was something I want access too in my career (which to my surprise clin psych can provide fairly well). Ireland is English speaking and from my preliminary research it doesn't seem to hard to transfer your license.

I'm sure the poster and you know but make sure to become fully licensed in the US before leaving, just as a safety net. Some countries also do want you to have an independent license in the US before they'll allow you to get a license there, all the more reason to finish your licensing in the US.

More food for thought that's relevant to Ireland, but most places to practice as a clinical psychologist it's a master's level profession. You can still make up the pay difference by applying for principle/consultant psychologist positions with a PHD right off the bat, but it's something to consider during your job hunt that you likely have far more training (especially in research) compared to the average clinical psychologist in most other countries.

Edit: Another option that could be of interest is college counseling centers. There's a lot of US exchange programs so universities overseas will hire US psychs to deliver services to said English speaking students. So if college counseling centers is up your alley that could be a unique way to practice in a non-English speaking nation. Obviously this is case by case and YMMV.

Double Edit: Also look into DHA positions on USAJobs. They're not that competitive and you can usually get to the nation of your choice fairly quick on the GS scale.

Last edited:
1) It is MUCH easier, if you FIRST get licensed in any US state.
2) Most EU countries will require equivalence in degrees.
3) Some require you to get a service to "certify" the degree (i.e., they want to ensure this is a real degree, and not part of some scam like that Indian scam in the UK a decade ago). This is almost easy, UNLESS you're dealing with the Austrians, Danes, Fins, German, or Swedes.
4) The Nordic countries require you to pass a language test. They are super conservative about it because of the recent refugee thing.
5) Pay is MUCH lower in the EU.
6) Here is some free legal advice that I paid a lot of money for: Move to the EU FIRST, then apply for licensure. If you do it the other way, it will skeeve out many countries.

Reactions: 2 users