EU vs. non-EU fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misspiggy28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation...

I'm an EU citizen but I'm considered a non-EU applicant because I'm not a resident. Now, since I'm going to be in Ireland for the next 5 years, I was wondering if I'd be able to get EU tuition rates after 3 years living in Ireland??? I'm sure it doesn't work that way but I thought I'd ask anyway. :)

Members don't see this ad.

misspiggy28 said:
So here's my situation...

I'm an EU citizen but I'm considered a non-EU applicant because I'm not a resident. Now, since I'm going to be in Ireland for the next 5 years, I was wondering if I'd be able to get EU tuition rates after 3 years living in Ireland??? I'm sure it doesn't work that way but I thought I'd ask anyway. :)

Heheh. Don't mean to laugh but the answer is a big NO. I'm in the exact same situation as you. Since certain spots are dedicated for EU and non-EU students, so are the entrance requirements. You pay less, it's harder to get in, you pay more, it's easier. Pretty much that simple. This was reinforced by a recent Irish court ruling.

But, watch the European courts, it's being appealed from what I've heard. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
dirtymac42 said:
This was reinforced by a recent Irish court ruling.

But, watch the European courts, it's being appealed from what I've heard. ;)

Interesting. Any chance of more information on the case? As I guess I'm officially an expat I don't keep up on Irish news as much as I'd like to.

dr strangelove said:
I don't keep up on Irish news as much as I'd like to.

Don't worry. This never made news, i just know the girl who launched the case. I'll keep you all posted.