European Pharmacy student looking to work in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Footystar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My cousin is finishing up her pharmacy degree in Belgium and looking to see if she can work in the United States. She will graduate with a master's degree in pharmacy. I understand that in the US, Pharmacy students graduate with a doctorate degree in pharmacy. Would she be able to use the master's degree and work as a pharmacist in the US? What else would she have to do to in terms of taking exams or more classes? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
My cousin is finishing up her pharmacy degree in Belgium and looking to see if she can work in the United States. She will graduate with a master's degree in pharmacy. I understand that in the US, Pharmacy students graduate with a doctorate degree in pharmacy. Would she be able to use the master's degree and work as a pharmacist in the US? What else would she have to do to in terms of taking exams or more classes? Thanks!
I am far from an expert in this area - but I believe you have to have a PharmD in order to sit for the NAPLEX if you are a foreign grab

Reactions: 1 user
She would need to be a practicing pharmacist in Belgium in order to apply to take the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination and get Certification. You could call the FPGEC committee to make sure her degree counts. From there it would depend on the state Laws of other requirements in order to get a pharmacist license. for example, most states have additional intern hour requirements as well as state tests and the national test (NAPLEX)

Here is the bulletin: http://www.nabp.net/system/rich/ric...iginal/fpgec-application-bulletin-1132016.pdf and a quatation below

Qualifications for the FPGEC Certification Program To be considered as a candidate for the FPGEC Certification Program, you must have graduated from a recognized or accredited school of pharmacy in a non-US country or jurisdiction. Specifically, the school of pharmacy must be accredited by a competent organization that accredits or certifies professional degree programs in pharmacy or the school must be regionally recognized, meaning nations in the geographical region of the school must recognize the professional degree program of the school as meeting regionally adopted standards. The FPGEC requires that if you graduated prior to January 1, 2003, you must have completed at least a four-year pharmacy curriculum at the time of graduation. If you graduated on or after January 1, 2003, you must have completed at least a five-year pharmacy curriculum at the time of graduation. The change from a four-year to five-year educational curriculum requirement has enabled the FPGEC Certification Program to be consistent with the revised standards of US pharmacy school curriculum. See “Official Transcript(s)” and “Minimum Curriculum Length” on pages 18 and 19 for important information about submitting your qualifications. Licensure All candidates must also provide documentation that they are licensed and/or registered for the unrestricted practice of pharmacy in a foreign country or jurisdiction. Please refer to page 18 for complete details on providing documentation.