Quantcast

Eutectic Mixture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zelman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You ever put salt on an icy sidewalk? Same thing.

Reactions: 1 users

Rouelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A pure crystalline solid typically has a sharp melting point (1-3° range from when melting is first observed to when the last crystal melts). When one mixes 2 crystalline solids, the melting point is usually lower than that of either individual component and the melting point range is broadened (8-10° or more, maybe much more). However at a specific ratio of the two components, one can get a mixture that has a well-defined, sharp melting point. At that ratio, you have a eutectic mixture. In this way the homogeneous mixture exhibits the same property (sharp MP) as a pure compound.

Reactions: 1 users

RxPreceptor

Pharm Druggist
5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Also used in "green" chemistry as a means of cutting down use of solvents...
    Go read a book, Martin's (seriously). Self improvement/studying things you should go over in school is no excuse for lazy posts asking to explain things

Reactions: 4 users

radio frequency

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Also used in "green" chemistry as a means of cutting down use of solvents...
    Go read a book, Martin's (seriously). Self improvement/studying things you should go over in school is no excuse for lazy posts asking to explain things
    I back this post, especially as I specifically remember the Martin’s section on eutectic mixtures being especially good. You might have to read it more than once (I’m certain I did), but the information is there, and explained better than we can.

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    The melting point of an impure solid is lower than the melting point of a pure solid.

The most common is salt and ice.

The most common pharmacy EM is menthol and camphor. Mix the two solids together and they turn to liquid.......

Reactions: 1 user

PharmtoCS

10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Ask your professor.

After all, you are paying six figures of tuition to your pharmacy school. You should make sure they put that money to good use and teach you.

Reactions: 2 users