evaluation- biased ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karlstorz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So heres the deal....
I am a second year resident and do well on all counts
Except that one of my attendings keeps giving me bad evals ..no matter what
How does this affect my future life?
Will this remain confidential or will my future job people go by this one persons opinion?
Everyone else loves me .........
:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

You should talk to that attending. Set up a meeting with them or talk to them when you happen to be on call together or something. Explain your concerns. Tell them you would like to be a better resident and have I identified 'A, B, C' that need improvement. Explain that you want to be able to handle any clinical challenge when you leave residency, and would appreciate feedback in those particular areas. It is difficult to improve if you only get feedback once every 6 months. From now on, every time you work with that attending (and others) you should elicit feedback by saying "Do you have any suggestions for improvement?" That way you won't have to find out months later. This is a very hard to do for fear of the answer....but worth the extra effort.

Lastly, none of this is personal so do not take it as such. It does not matter if these folks like you, but rather that you have attained all ncessary tools to be a competent physician after residency.

I hope this helps!

I had an attending like that. Nothing he ever said to me was constructive, and I couldn't figure out why it seemed like he just didn't like me.

And after the worst evaluation, I just gave up with him. I had tried to talk to him about it, but I was so insulted by what he wrote that I just wrote him off. There are some people that you will never please and some people that just won't like you (as well as people that you just won't like). The rest of my evaluations were great, so this one stood out like a sore thumb. I had talked to my program director and my advisor about it and they both told me to not worry about it. So I just worked hard to take good care of patients and whenever possible, stayed out of this attending's way.

I'll be graduating in two weeks. One single person's opinion isn't going to make that much of a difference in the long run.

All residencies are required to assign you a faculty advisor/mentor. These are the type of problems you should address with your advisor, if you don't get anywhere after talking with the faculty member in question.
These evaluations can affect you in the future, as most groups will call your program director or Department Chairman to get the "inside scoop" on you. Most of the time, they will not need to pull your evaluations since they will know you very well. However, every so often, they will need to rely on these evaluations to "remember" how you performed as a resident (especially if you have a new PD/chairman or if you have been gone from the program for some time).