Event coverage with COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

deluxedeluxe

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m applying for a sports medicine fellowship next year, but I’m having difficulty with covering a mass event and continuity of team coverage. I have a few games, but nothing consistent due to COVID. Many mass events aren’t happening or they aren’t taking on residents. Therefore, I have no mass events despite contacting many different events. I was at luckily able to secure an elective. I’ve done presentations, research, etc, but not a ton of events. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue due to COVID and how this might impact applications/applicant review?
 
Events are good to have. Even a few games should be fine, given COVID, but really what did you do covering games? Stand around? Maybe see 1-2 injuries? It's good to have some sideline experience but that will come aplenty in fellowship. I think MSK exposure, whether in clinic or in the training room is more beneficial, but that's just my opinion!
 
Events are good to have. Even a few games should be fine, given COVID, but really what did you do covering games? Stand around? Maybe see 1-2 injuries? It's good to have some sideline experience but that will come aplenty in fellowship. I think MSK exposure, whether in clinic or in the training room is more beneficial, but that's just my opinion!
I appreciate your reply. I have plenty of exposure in clinic and within my elective rotation. I’ve just read everywhere about the need for event coverage when applying, so I wasn’t sure what that might look like for those applying with limited opportunities. I’m happy to hear that might not be held against me as an applicant.