Event coverage with COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deluxedeluxe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m applying for a sports medicine fellowship next year, but I’m having difficulty with covering a mass event and continuity of team coverage. I have a few games, but nothing consistent due to COVID. Many mass events aren’t happening or they aren’t taking on residents. Therefore, I have no mass events despite contacting many different events. I was at luckily able to secure an elective. I’ve done presentations, research, etc, but not a ton of events. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue due to COVID and how this might impact applications/applicant review?

Members don't see this ad.

Events are good to have. Even a few games should be fine, given COVID, but really what did you do covering games? Stand around? Maybe see 1-2 injuries? It's good to have some sideline experience but that will come aplenty in fellowship. I think MSK exposure, whether in clinic or in the training room is more beneficial, but that's just my opinion!

Events are good to have. Even a few games should be fine, given COVID, but really what did you do covering games? Stand around? Maybe see 1-2 injuries? It's good to have some sideline experience but that will come aplenty in fellowship. I think MSK exposure, whether in clinic or in the training room is more beneficial, but that's just my opinion!
I appreciate your reply. I have plenty of exposure in clinic and within my elective rotation. I’ve just read everywhere about the need for event coverage when applying, so I wasn’t sure what that might look like for those applying with limited opportunities. I’m happy to hear that might not be held against me as an applicant.

Reactions: 1 user