Ever have a final letter grade wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swamprat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took a physiology class this past semester and while I was expecting an A or an A- .. the lowest I figured could be an A- I just found that i got a B+. The math doesn't add up and I emailed the professor regarding it. Even if they raised the cut-offs for the grades I still think that I had enough points above the A-/B+ cut-off to get the B+. I just asked the professor for my grade breakdown, there has to be an error. Has this ever happened to you before? And yes I know the difference is very minor, I'm a junior and the class is 3 credits BUT an A- looks a lot better than a B+ and its physiology, i mean c'mon.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I got a C+ in a class and was like wtf??? Turns out they didn't count my entire final exam worth 40% of my grade!! I ended up with an A =)

Yes. I got a C+ in a class and was like wtf??? Turns out they didn't count my entire final exam worth 40% of my grade!! I ended up with an A =)

Same here. Scared me to death!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, my organic chemistry final grade was wrong. I emailed the professor and apparently I wasn't the only one. He responded and said he would address all the grade concerns after the new year. I emailed him again after school started to remind him and he fixed it. It's not that big a deal; if as you claim, the math is on your side. Just be professional and make sure you save all the emails about it, in case the professor becomes unreasonable and you have to go to the department head.

Yes my first semester I was in a required theater course... I did theatre through high school so I know the subject matter well. When I calculated my final grade I had a 98.7- well on my transcript the teacher gave me a B- I flipped out emailed her for over a week and never heard back (would have gone to her office but she as adjunct)...

so I went to the chair of the department with all my work and explained the situation- he was shocked that a person who had perfect scores on all reports could have a B

turns out the department got her excel file and she had a HUGE error making everyones' grade 1 letter lower than they earned; she was fired and I got my A. I just can't believe that since you have to manually enter the grades for each student into the system she was crazy enough not to realize she hadn't given out a single A!

I was exactly at the cutoff for an A, but my professor gave me an A-. I just said **** it and never got around to emailing him about it. He was my PI too :laugh:

Yes my first semester I was in a required theater course... I did theatre through high school so I know the subject matter well. When I calculated my final grade I had a 98.7- well on my transcript the teacher gave me a B- I flipped out emailed her for over a week and never heard back (would have gone to her office but she as adjunct)...

so I went to the chair of the department with all my work and explained the situation- he was shocked that a person who had perfect scores on all reports could have a B

turns out the department got her excel file and she had a HUGE error making everyones' grade 1 letter lower than they earned; she was fired and I got my A. I just can't believe that since you have to manually enter the grades for each student into the system she was crazy enough not to realize she hadn't given out a single A!

Yeah thats what I'm thinking could have been the problem. I just spoke to my friend who like me also did very well on all the exams and he got a B+ too. Hopefully I'll get some answers Monday, if not I'm making some phone calls. I can def see an error might have occurred because they decided to regrade our last exam b4 the final w a different key. So my 23/25 for that exam obviously didn't stand but I don't know what my new grade was .. it couldn't have been that much lower. If I just knew all the damn #'s it would put my mind at ease ... its the fact that their could and most likely is a mistake that bothers me, I want the grade I earned and if it's a legitamate B+ that sucks oh well, but I don't think it is and thats whats getting to me.

Actually, that exact thing happened to me this quarter. I got a B+ in my Molecular Bio class, but my prof emailed me a day later saying that she got it wrong and will change it to an A-. I think she has to write up some form and send it to the school to get it fixed. You never know where the cutoffs eventually land (unless they tell you), and if you do know what the cutoff is, and have the math to prove that you're above the cutoff, then print out your grade report and at least ask your prof... the chance is small there is an error, but there is a chance.