Ever heard of Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! My school offer this cool degree that I don't often hear. Once I am done this degree, I can take the certified exam and become med lab tech. if i choose to. It seems like a good degree to pursue cuz it's medically oriented, and if for some reason i fail to pursue med schools, I can use it as a backup profession. It's rated as one of top 20 list of best jobs :eek: Check it out here http://www.csmls.org/english/career/index.htm

What do u think about this degree? worth it a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

i think it's a great idea. go for it! it's not a crime to have a plan b, especially with something as competitive as med school admissions.

Smooth Operater said:
Hello guys! My school offer this cool degree that I don't often hear. Once I am done this degree, I can take the certified exam and become med lab tech. if i choose to. It seems like a good degree to pursue cuz it's medically oriented, and if for some reason i fail to pursue med schools, I can use it as a backup profession. It's rated as one of top 20 list of best jobs :eek: Check it out here http://www.csmls.org/english/career/index.htm

What do u think about this degree? worth it a shot?

Isn't Lab Science just a buzz word for analytical chemistry?

Members don't see this ad :)
No from what I gather from the med lab sci program at my school it is med lab technician type stuff. By this I mean they look at bacterial pathogens, blood work, urine, etc etc. I am an Immunology and Infection major and some of my classes are half immunology students and half med lab sci students. I think it sounds like a great program to be in and I know a few ppl in med school now that are from that background.

nop, it's not a fancy chemistry degree. Once I get in, I have to take load of Phathology courses.

I don't think you can do much with the degree unelss u pass an certified exam. My school website mentioned most grad. end up working in medical field - about half of them become technician, and other pursue dentistry/medician/health regulation..etc...

My school offers this program. It's designed to prepare students for a career as a medical lab technition (IE growing cultures, running immuno assays, etc). The students take a lot of tough courses with regular bio majors (micro, immuno, biochem, to name a few) as well as take additional classes that are specific to the program. They also have to complete a fair amount of clinical lab training in hospital/clinic labs.

All in all it's my understanding that these programs do send a good number of students onto professional school. On top of that, it's a very marketable degree if your plans change.

If the program fits with your personal interest, then it would probably be great for a premed.

Good luck,
S

it seems like a hidden jewel in my course, not many ppl actually know about it. Only 40 ppl applied and 25 got in.