Everyday Pharm Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCKS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are all familiar with robitussin DM. The active agent in regular robitussin is Guafesin, which adds more water to your mucous to make it less viscous. My question is why is DXM, used. I realize that it is a central cough supressant, but isn't the supression of the cough reflex contra-indicated due to more sputum being produced? We had a professor a few days ago that dodged this question, anyone have an answer?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you use an anti-inflammatory when inflamation is obviously natural and therefore a good thing? Same reason. The cough, bothers people and often hurts. The opiate attenuates the cough and makes us feel better. I bet the fact that it also tickles our mu receptors figures into it's appeal a bit too. Though, I'm sure your pharm prof would totally avoid that angle as well.

CCKS said:
We are all familiar with robitussin DM. The active agent in regular robitussin is Guafesin, which adds more water to your mucous to make it less viscous. My question is why is DXM, used. I realize that it is a central cough supressant, but isn't the supression of the cough reflex contra-indicated due to more sputum being produced? We had a professor a few days ago that dodged this question, anyone have an answer?

It's called making people FEEL better. Fever is a natural response to an infection that serves to reduce or eliminate reproduction of the organism, yet, almost everyone who has a fever takes Tylenol. Why? Because having a fever makes you feel like crap. Same reasonong with cough.

CCKS said:

More sputum is not being produced----it is simply less viscous.

The purpose of OTC medications is alleviation of symptoms. This does that.

The involuntary cough is suppressed, but you are still able to initiate coughing as the phlegm loosens.