everyone PLEASE read - I'm begging here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EclecticMind

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a very unique and yet unfortunate situation. I'll spare you the details, but to make a long story short, I am in a situation where I'm not going to have very much time at all preparing for step 1. I'd prefer not to reveal just how much time I do have (or don't have) because if I did, I know that every one of you would respond with "DON'T take the test with just that much preparation".... which would only discourage me that much more and I definitely don't need anymore of that.

I'm pretty down about this whole thing, b/c I know that I could really do well on the boards if I an adequate amount of time studying. My only option is to delay starting 3rd year by one rotation.

If I did, I know that one plus would be that I would surely have a much better step 1 score. But what I don't know is how this could adversely affect me down the road.

I would really appreciate any advice you could offer me. I will be SINCERELY appreciated! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

postpone one rotation if you feel like you can ace it with that time off. you may want to see if it is required to take the boards to advance to the 3rd year or if you just have to take them before you graduate or something. maybe you could even take it after your medicine rotation.

good luck

This is an anonymous forum. Why spare the details??

I studied 3.5 weeks for it. I had just finished finals in path and pharm, then began studying 1st yr material and then reviewed 2nd year. By that time, I was forgetting the 1st year stuff I had reviewed, so I'd recommend waiting until last to do that. Concentrate more on knowing the why behind path and pharm and phys. Do as many Qbank as possible. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
EclecticMind said:
If I did, I know that one plus would be that I would surely have a much better step 1 score. But what I don't know is how this could adversely affect me down the road.

What does that mean: adversely affect me down the road? What other adverse affect is going to be longer-lasting than a low Step 1 score? It's possible that score COULD affect the next 20 years of your life by eliminating possible career paths you might want to explore. I'd be interested to hear what you think the adverse effects are of starting rotations a month later and comparing that to the possibility of a low Step I score. Based on the information you gave, when you compare starting rotations late vs. a low score, the choice seems simple to me: take your own pulse, do the best you can on the test, and start rotations later.

EclecticMind-

I put off my first clerkship in order to have more time to study for step one. It was a decision that put my stomach into knots at the time, however, I don't have any regrets that I did so. The deans of my school informed us of the disadvantages (i.e.residency directors in PARTICULAR specialties looking down upon postponing step one) versus advantages (i.e.getting a higher step one score).

The rationale driving my decision was based on the fact that I did not feel like taking a test when I felt that I would not have adequate time to prepare for it- especially since I had some trouble during first year (biochem! :mad: ). Once again, I do NOT regret my decision. Also, I do feel that I needed the time off since I was seriously burnt from second year (I studied my arse off and did do very well overall, with the exception of one blemish). In the end, I would much rather pass, or hopefully do reasonably well on step one, then to fail step one. Failing step one is a hell of a bigger red flag on your ERAS than taking time off and passing step one (IMHO of course).

My best advice to you is to take one of the 'for pay' NBME assessments to figure where you are in the game since the NBME tests seem to have the greatest correlation with your step one scores. If you do reasonably well, then think about not taking time off. Conversely, take time off if your score isn't too hot.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. :luck: