EVMS Class of 2010 - Off-topic and shooting the breeze

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thediamondmaker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings to all my fellow upcoming classmates! This thread is being created for the purpose of significantly off-topic discussions. The primary thread for the EVMS entering Class of 2010 is a veritable treasure trove for those of us attempting to figure things out and get situated in Norfolk, whereas this thread is more of a get-to-know-each-other and socialize type scenario.

The primary EVMS Class of 2010 thread can be found at:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=256320

All discussions of the uber-competitive medical specialties such as the Alien Autopsy residency and the UFO/ government cover-up fellowships will be welcomed here, as well as any similarly interesting discussions on life, the universe, and everything.

TheDiamondMaker

Members don't see this ad.

thediamondmaker said:
Greetings to all my fellow upcoming classmates! This thread is being created for the purpose of significantly off-topic discussions. The primary thread for the EVMS entering Class of 2010 is a veritable treasure trove for those of us attempting to figure things out and get situated in Norfolk, whereas this thread is more of a get-to-know-each-other and socialize type scenario.

The primary EVMS Class of 2010 thread can be found at:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=256320

All discussions of the uber-competitive medical specialties such as the Alien Autopsy residency and the UFO/ government cover-up fellowships will be welcomed here, as well as any similarly interesting discussions on life, the universe, and everything.

TheDiamondMaker

Alien Autopsy residency... I was undecided about a specialty but now I think I've found my calling. Do you know if EVMS's residency is very competitive. :laugh:

thediamondmaker said:

I mentioned this on the previous board but I PMed DM about this too while asking to borrow his DVDs. I realized this board was necessary when I started skimming other 2010 threads and none of them were nearly as interesting (or off-topic) as ours. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are nuts! DP disagrees with my book choice, DM asking about Alien Research?

I'm not one to criticize. Somehow I picked the slightly uncool book. Although I did read some of that other guy's articles from the NYer and was impressed.

About the alien and government research fellowships, the military or government is probably the most direct route. I was an Army officer and saw enough weird crap in my 4+ years that would qualify as a mildly interesting X-file, or maybe a funnier West Wing.

Pathology or IM must be the most useful for this kind of thing. Military pathologists go to cool places and see interesting medical cases.

sparkyur said:
You guys are nuts! DP disagrees with my book choice, DM asking about Alien Research?

I'm not one to criticize. Somehow I picked the slightly uncool book. Although I did read some of that other guy's articles from the NYer and was impressed.

About the alien and government research fellowships, the military or government is probably the most direct route. I was an Army officer and saw enough weird crap in my 4+ years that would qualify as a mildly interesting X-file, or maybe a funnier West Wing.

Pathology or IM must be the most useful for this kind of thing. Military pathologists go to cool places and see interesting medical cases.

West Wing- Great Show

sparkyur said:

Okay, it's not that you picked the uncool book, I'm uncool in my prudishness in disapproving of the occasional sex scenes in the on-call room and not getting over that to recognize the erudite references to Catch 22 and other postmodern literature that permeate the House of God. I am a dork for even mentioning that. :)

I like the West Wing too. Only I've only seen up to the end of season 2, so nobody mention any plot points after that, you'll ruin the surprise! :rolleyes:

Don't Panic said:
Okay, it's not that you picked the uncool book, I'm uncool in my prudishness in disapproving of the occasional sex scenes in the on-call room and not getting over that to recognize the erudite references to Catch 22 and other postmodern literature that permeate the House of God. I am a dork for even mentioning that. :)

I like the West Wing too. Only I've only seen up to the end of season 2, so nobody mention any plot points after that, you'll ruin the surprise! :rolleyes:

What? Like the time President Bartlett totally Nailed Donna in the cloak room of the Smithsonian?

Depakote said:
What? Like the time President Bartlett totally Nailed Donna in the cloak room of the Smithsonian?

That had better not be true. :laugh:

Depakote said:

I can't believe you gave that away! Now why should I even bother watching?

sparkyur said:

An Army man, eh? Well done. I would totally do the Army thing if there was some sure way to get in on the black-ops research stuff. Problem is, you have to get lucky. And by even mentioning the words "alien autopsy" in an online forum, I have probably disqualified myself for the position. Pity.

Depakote said:
:laugh: I never could get into the West Wing. But that X-Files was totally awesome, I loved that show back in the day. I don't remember a lot from it now, but it used to be my favorite. I need to rent those seasons and re-watch them. I still think the cigarette smoking man was the creepiest character of any show ever.

ghostchild said:
:laugh: I never could get into the West Wing. But that X-Files was totally awesome, I loved that show back in the day. I don't remember a lot from it now, but it used to be my favorite. I need to rent those seasons and re-watch them. I still think the cigarette smoking man was the creepiest character of any show ever.

Ok, I'm just going to show a bit of nerddom.

In the past few years I've had minor addictions to:
Stargate SG1 (have fallen out of touch after season 5 or so)
Buffy
Angel

Depakote said:
Ok, I'm just going to show a bit of nerddom.

In the past few years I've had minor addictions to:
Stargate SG1 (have fallen out of touch after season 5 or so)
Buffy
Angel
Indeed .... (Teal'C)

I really like SG-1 as well. I've actually got all 7 seasons on DVD (and season 1 of Stargate Atlantis). I use to love it, but now that they're fighting the Priors, it's all gotten very unrealistic and I don't watch it as religiously as I use to. That was the main catch that got me, a sci-fi show that's taking place now that the gov't is covering up. And what was awesome about the first 7 seasons is that you could really envision Gods of the ancient worlds actually being visitors from other worlds because of all these PBS documentries on how the ancient civilizations never could have built the pyramids, etc. so it was a lot of fun. O'Neil is also gone so it's not as funny anymore. But I still can't find anything better on tv most of the time so I'll try to catch it if I'm at home on Friday night or tape it and watch it sometime during the week.
Stargate Atlantis isn't that bad. It's kind of out there but the Wraith look cool!

:laugh: I'm such a nerd! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
ghostchild said:
Indeed .... (Teal'C)

I really like SG-1 as well. I've actually got all 7 seasons on DVD (and season 1 of Stargate Atlantis). I use to love it, but now that they're fighting the Priors, it's all gotten very unrealistic and I don't watch it as religiously as I use to. That was the main catch that got me, a sci-fi show that's taking place now that the gov't is covering up. And what was awesome about the first 7 seasons is that you could really envision Gods of the ancient worlds actually being visitors from other worlds because of all these PBS documentries on how the ancient civilizations never could have built the pyramids, etc. so it was a lot of fun. O'Neil is also gone so it's not as funny anymore. But I still can't find anything better on tv most of the time so I'll try to catch it if I'm at home on Friday night or tape it and watch it sometime during the week.
Stargate Atlantis isn't that bad. It's kind of out there but the Wraith look cool!

:laugh: I'm such a nerd! :eek:

I've been meaning to start in on Stargate ever since they cancelled Star Trek Enterprise, which freaking rocked. I've got to get my sci-fi fix somewhere! If you haven't watched Firefly yet, it is a must see too. You can knock out all the episodes in a weekend.

Does Norfolk have a dollar theater? I live right by one currently, they show all the movies right before they come out on DVD, for a buck. It lets you get the full theater experience on a poorman's budget - If there's no cheap theater then I'll have to start Redboxing it at McD's.

thediamondmaker said:
Does Norfolk have a dollar theater? I live right by one currently, they show all the movies right before they come out on DVD, for a buck. It lets you get the full theater experience on a poorman's budget - If there's no cheap theater then 'll have to start Redboxing it at McD's.

there is a theatre in ghent that plays lots of independent/foreign movies that is pretty cool. doesn't appear to be any cheaper than the norm though.

http://narocinema.com/index.php

Depakote said:
So what kind of music is everyone into?

I'm a big Dead Head... (as if the avatar didn't give that away)

but I'm in a Hendrix/Allman Brothers funk at the moment.

I was going through a rap phase until recently, when my wife pointed out that since I started I have been getting angry about little things that would not usually bother me. So I laid off, went back to the Beatles, Third Eye Blind,and a little Justin Timberlake, and I am feeling great! Irritants bounce off me like water on a duck's back. I do miss my friends Kanye West and Marshall Mathers, though...no one understands my youthful rage like they do.

ps- Just kidding about Justin Timberlake there....most of the time :)

thediamondmaker said:
If you haven't watched Firefly yet, it is a must see too. You can knock out all the episodes in a weekend.

I'll second that My fiancee and I watched the entire series in no time, we just couldn't stop.

As a side note we saw serenity first. We had no idea that it used to be a show. :)

Depakote said:
So what kind of music is everyone into?

I'm a big Dead Head... (as if the avatar didn't give that away)

but I'm in a Hendrix/Allman Brothers funk at the moment.

I saw Allman Brothers last sept. down in Austin and they were the ****. I propose a class trip down to Austin City Limits this year. Anyone else down? Probably not very realistic but fun to think about regardless.

http://www.aclfestival.com/lineup.aspx

I like pretty much everyone on the line-up...that i have heard of at least.

xraygray said:
I saw Allman Brothers last sept. down in Austin and they were the ****. I propose a class trip down to Austin City Limits this year. Anyone else down? Probably not very realistic but fun to think about regardless.

http://www.aclfestival.com/lineup.aspx

I like pretty much everyone on the line-up...that i have heard of at least.

Ok. You get me in and I'll go.

>_>

<_<

xraygray said:
I saw Allman Brothers last sept. down in Austin and they were the ****. I propose a class trip down to Austin City Limits this year. Anyone else down?

I am so in! :laugh: It really is pipe dreaming but it would be super cool.

Anyone here married? How about kids? I've got a 3 and a 1 year old. My wife and I thought it would be a crime to keep our genes all to ourselves....thus the kids.

thediamondmaker said:
Anyone here married? How about kids? I've got a 3 and a 1 year old. My wife and I thought it would be a crime to keep our genes all to ourselves....thus the kids.

Which one is named Dana? :)

thediamondmaker said:

Not married now, but I will be by the time I meet all of you. :) no kids yet though

thediamondmaker said:

No kids yet, my genes are on lockdown for a while.

Depakote said:
I'm betting there's a "Mal" in there too...
:D
Oh, there would have been a Mal, if I had only known how awesome the show was then...but I only discovered Firefly 6 months ago.

Hmm, perhaps it would make an appropriate nickname, though- Of course, Mal is the latin for bad, isn't it, and I wouldn't want my boy to feel like he was overly free to rebel when he turns fifteen.

Don't Panic said:
Which one is named Dana? :)
We actually named her Gillian, to be subtle. (Dana Scully is played by Gillian Anderson, though you probably knew that, as any X-phile worth his salt would.)

thediamondmaker said:
We actually named her Gillian, to be subtle. (Dana Scully is played by Gillian Anderson, though you probably knew that, as any X-phile worth his salt would.)

OF COURSE we know that! :)

Is Gillian the 3 year old or the 1 year old? You must have your hands full at those ages. Are they both girls?

On another topic:
Does anyone have a favorite X-files season or episode? I'm only up to season three and could describe my favorite episodes ad nauseum, but won't try your patience unless other people have favorites. :p

And what is this Firefly show? I've never even heard of it before.

Don't Panic said:
OF COURSE we know that! :)

Is Gillian the 3 year old or the 1 year old? You must have your hands full at those ages. Are they both girls?

On another topic:
Does anyone have a favorite X-files season or episode? I'm only up to season three and could describe my favorite episodes ad nauseum, but won't try your patience unless other people have favorites. :p

And what is this Firefly show? I've never even heard of it before.

"Jose Chung's From Outer Space", hands down. I think it is in Season 3. And "Bad Blood", from Season 5 is spectacular.

Gillian is 1 year old, her big bro is 3. We call him Kuya, which is Filipino for big brother. And yes, we definitely have our hands full, though now that my wife has finished law school things have gotten easier. This summer is the eye of the storm, getting ready for the med school plunge.

thediamondmaker said:
"Jose Chung's From Outer Space", hands down. I think it is in Season 3. And "Bad Blood", from Season 5 is spectacular.

Ok, I will watch From Outer Space asap... I haven't finished season 3 yet.

As for me, I love Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose. But there are so many good episodes. I am looking forward to borrowing your DVD collection when we all are settled in Norfolk. :D

Don't Panic said:
Ok, I will watch From Outer Space asap... I haven't finished season 3 yet.

As for me, I love Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose. But there are so many good episodes. I am looking forward to borrowing your DVD collection when we all are settled in Norfolk. :D
Yes, my wife calls me a DVD pimp because I am always pushing movies on people. Let me know how you enjoy From Outer Space.

Depakote said:
If no one else does I'll hook you up with Firefly/Serenity... (assuming all goes well)

yea the fiancee and I have a pretty massive dvd collection (serenity, firefly, scrubs, arrested development, the office, etc, plus tons of movies). anyone is free to borrow them so long as they sign a non-disclosure agreement if you catch my meaning ;)

murphomatic said:
yea the fiancee and I have a pretty massive dvd collection (serenity, firefly, scrubs, arrested development, the office, etc, plus tons of movies). anyone is free to borrow them so long as they sign a non-disclosure agreement if you catch my meaning ;)
Arrested Development is probably the most upper-level comedy ever written. I love it.

thediamondmaker said:
Arrested Development is probably the most upper-level comedy ever written. I love it.

yea, for the brief time it was on the air it was the most clever/funny show on TV

murphomatic said:
yea, for the brief time it was on the air it was the most clever/funny show on TV

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the older sitcoms are way funnier than anything on tv today. Seinfeld still has to be one of my favorites. I'll still watch an old Saved by the Bell when they come on TBS every now and then. That Danny Tanner is hilarious too! :laugh: :oops: Although House, The Office, and My Name is Earl are starting to grow on me.

On second thought, just ignore this post, it's way too embarrassing! :oops:

ghostchild said:
Yeah, it seems like a lot of the older sitcoms are way funnier than anything on tv today. Seinfeld still has to be one of my favorites. I'll still watch an old Saved by the Bell when they come on TBS every now and then. That Danny Tanner is hilarious too! :laugh: :oops: Although House, The Office, and My Name is Earl are starting to grow on me.

On second thought, just ignore this post, it's way too embarrassing! :oops:

Saved by the Bell !!??!!??

I'm sorry but I can't ignore that :laugh: :laugh:

I don't mean to tease, but I have strong feelings about that show as my hair looks exactly like Screach's if I let it get to the right length.

Ohh what the heck I'll admit it. If it weren't for the fiancee I would still watch Zach and the Gang every chance I got. :scared: Be nice

For you X-philes.

Saw this on the news this morning...

2837152my.jpg

Duck swallows alien?

murphomatic said:
Saved by the Bell !!??!!??

I'm sorry but I can't ignore that :laugh: :laugh:

I don't mean to tease, but I have strong feelings about that show as my hair looks exactly like Screach's if I let it get to the right length.
What can I say, I guess we've all got skeletons in the closet :oops:
If I could grow Screech's hair, I don't think I'd ever cut it! But really, the high school years were a lot better than the college years! :laugh:

Depakote said:
For you X-philes.

Saw this on the news this morning...

2837152my.jpg

Duck swallows alien?
Wow, that is bizarre - what is it? nothing looks right there, not even the adult skeleton - the joints look wrong, there is too much curvature in the humerus, and what is going on with the pelvis? Not to mention the baby/alien/3 year-old kid thing going on? Is this even a real x-ray? Thanks for the enigma. It is good to stretch the old brain.

Here is an interesting peruvian skull on display at one of their museums. Another medical mystery. At first people thought it was a result of skull binding, a way of manipulating the shape of the skull in infants, practiced by some of the ancient Egyptians. However, binding does not affect the volume of the brain cavity. The brain volumes of the Peruvian conehead skulls are over 1/4 larger than average, a significant deviation. Could you imagine meeting this guy and his possey on the street? There is a whole series of these skulls on display in Peru, and nobody knows anything about them.

Attachments

• Conehead Skull 2b resized.jpg
    Conehead Skull 2b resized.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 197
thediamondmaker said:
Wow, that is bizarre - what is it? nothing looks right there, not even the adult skeleton - the joints look wrong, there is too much curvature in the humerus, and what is going on with the pelvis? Not to mention the baby/alien/3 year-old kid thing going on? Is this even a real x-ray? Thanks for the enigma. It is good to stretch the old brain.

Here is an interesting peruvian skull on display at one of their museums. Another medical mystery. At first people thought it was a result of skull binding, a way of manipulating the shape of the skull in infants, practiced by some of the ancient Egyptians. However, binding does not affect the volume of the brain cavity. The brain volumes of the Peruvian conehead skulls are over 1/4 larger than average, a significant deviation. Could you imagine meeting this guy and his possey on the street? There is a whole series of these skulls on display in Peru, and nobody knows anything about them.

It's an x-ray of a duck.

thediamondmaker said:
Wow, that is bizarre - what is it?

Ha ha! Here is the actual story, which is much less cryptic than Depakote's caption: :)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/26/DUCK.TMP

Speaking of bizarre, I watched Jose Chung's From Outer Space episode of the X-files and I have to say it is really awesome. I LOVED it... all of the characters in that episode were hysterical, especially Jesse Ventura as one of the Men in Black.

I also loved the 50-page manifesto written on three-hole punch notebook paper. When I was a receptionist on Capitol Hill crazy people used to come to the office with weird theories about Russian conspiracies written on paper napkins. These people totally made my day when they were not scaring the crap out of me. Ah, memories... :laugh:

And yes the skulls are weird.

i first saw this movie about 2 months ago. It is now my favorite. I bought a copy for my lil sisters/bro and they love it too.
I've never bought a tv series on DVD b4 -- but im thinking of buying the firefly series.

My favorite scene: a close up of one of the reavers doing a battle cry... and is then punched by River. Here is a sound clip. i absolutely love it.

kylahs said:
i first saw this movie about 2 months ago. It is now my favorite. I bought a copy for my lil sisters/bro and they love it too.
I've never bought a tv series on DVD b4 -- but im thinking of buying the firefly series.

My favorite scene: a close up of one of the reavers doing a battle cry... and is then punched by River. Here is a sound clip. i absolutely love it.

It's totally worth buying. The scene with the dinosours made me laugh so hard I nearly passed out. :laugh:

P.S. if you can wait until august I can lend you my copy