EVMS Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ghostchild said:
Any new news on the EVMS front?

Nope. Not here anyway.

I think they send out the second look invites pretty soon though. Apparently they send them to people at the top of the waitlist too, so if you get one, that's a good sign.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there 2/8... I'm hoping for a position on waitlist, higher the better of course. How long till I might hear from them about where i stand?

DrewFromVA said:
I interviewed there 2/8... I'm hoping for a position on waitlist, higher the better of course. How long till I might here from them about where i stand?

I interviewed on the 8th too.... are you the guy from ODU?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll be dropping my acceptance. i just haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet.

tacrum43 said:
Nope. Not here anyway.

I think they send out the second look invites pretty soon though. Apparently they send them to people at the top of the waitlist too, so if you get one, that's a good sign.

WOAHHHHHHH......what's a second look invite?????????????????????????????
is this only an EVMS thing? i want a second look invite....is it another interview? in which case, i'll just take a plain acceptance

SpeedRacer said:
i'll be dropping my acceptance. i just haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet.

where are you going?

DrewFromVA said:
I interviewed there 2/8... I'm hoping for a position on waitlist, higher the better of course. How long till I might hear from them about where i stand?

I interviewed on Jan. 27 and got a waitlist letter Feb. 9. Stay tuned....

WTF is a "second look invite?" I've never heard of those before. Lord, I hope I don't have to fly to VA for another interview.

a second look is a weekend specifically set up by the med school when prospective students get to look at the school again .. 9that's what i hear at least) I am guessing they have a few socials and lectures about housing and what not so that you can get to know the school and students better and decide if that is the school for you.

someone jump in if i am way off.....

ladyVA said:
a second look is a weekend specifically set up by the med school when prospective students get to look at the school again .. 9that's what i hear at least) I am guessing they have a few socials and lectures about housing and what not so that you can get to know the school and students better and decide if that is the school for you.

someone jump in if i am way off.....

is this something that all prospective students are invited to, and in other words, anyone who is waitlisted should definitely go to in order to show their continued interest?

C.P. Jones said:
is this something that all prospective students are invited to, and in other words, anyone who is waitlisted should definitely go to in order to show their continued interest?

As I understand it, they send invites to people who have been accepted, and people who are near the top of the waitlist (maybe the top 1/2 of the top 1/3 or so?). However, I've heard if you call and ask to attend even if you aren't invited, they will let you come if they have space. (This info is all from an old thread that I read when I was searching out info before my EVMS interview). I think it's mostly a social thing where you can talk with current students and meet some potential classmates.

Does anyone have any idea when the second look invites go out?

interviewed late Jan
waitlisted on feb 6

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear EVMS starts pulling from the wait list in mid May. The lady in the admission office tells me that they also have the demographic replacement program. So if an African-American gal turns down an acceptance, an acceptance will be offered to an African-American gal on the wait list.

I guess I'll work on developing ulcers until May...

Got special email from one of the interviewer today. They want me to work for one of their special simulation/modeling lab and do MD there (I'm engineer).

Dont know what to do. Awesome clinical facilities, but dont know if I can expand upon my research interests.

InternationlDoc said:
Got special email from one of the interviewer today. They want me to work for one of their special simulation/modeling lab and do MD there (I'm engineer).

Dont know what to do. Awesome clinical facilities, but dont know if I can expand upon my research interests.

Hey..

Thats great. I am also an engineer (Electrical). What kind of simulation/modeling are you gonna be doing. That would be a great opportunity for you.

I have been meaning to ask - Is it possible and realistic to do some part-time work while attending med school? Working in the area of some simulation or modeling would be pretty good. I do that now in my job - although not related to human body.

I would love to do some part-time work in a research lab or something..but I don't want to compromise with my classes though. That is IF I get in somewhere !

Best wishes all..

LusuR said:
I hear EVMS starts pulling from the wait list in mid May. The lady in the admission office tells me that they also have the demographic replacement program. So if an African-American gal turns down an acceptance, an acceptance will be offered to an African-American gal on the wait list.

I guess I'll work on developing ulcers until May...

some people got accepted off the waitlist in feb/march last year..I dont know if theyre doing that again this yr

For those of you looking at cheap condos in Norfolk...be careful. Norfolk is a city in which you can be in a good neighborhood, drive a block or two away, and pop out in a very bad part of the city.

AlternateSome1 said:
For those of you looking at cheap condos in Norfolk...be careful. Norfolk is a city in which you can be in a good neighborhood, drive a block or two away, and pop out in a very bad part of the city.

If you are from Norfolk, could you give us a bit more idea about housing. I have a family. If accepted, I will need to find a 2 bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood near a decent school (kindergarten/elementary). Please let me know if you have any info about cost of 2 bedroom apt, safety around norfolk etc..

Thank you.

Not from Norfolk, but I have close family friends that work in Sentera Hospital and Kings Daughters.

They told me that most EVMS students live in Ghent (sp?). It's supposed to be affordable and a pretty nice area.

2DEG said:
If you are from Norfolk, could you give us a bit more idea about housing. I have a family. If accepted, I will need to find a 2 bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood near a decent school (kindergarten/elementary). Please let me know if you have any info about cost of 2 bedroom apt, safety around norfolk etc..

Thank you.

If you're willing to drive a bit, the schools in Va Beach and Chesapeake are much better than those in Norfolk. My parents live in Chesapeake and are about 25 minutes from EVMS.

Em1 said:
If you're willing to drive a bit, the schools in Va Beach and Chesapeake are much better than those in Norfolk. My parents live in Chesapeake and are about 25 minutes from EVMS.

Hey..thanks! I appreciate it. I will do some research on housing in that area then.

Depakote said:
Not from Norfolk, but I have close family friends that work in Sentera Hospital and Kings Daughters.

They told me that most EVMS students live in Ghent (sp?). It's supposed to be affordable and a pretty nice area.

I searched an old thread on SDN and found something about a Hague Club as a place for student housing too. Do many students live there or is there a huge waiting list?

And I read that old thread from last year regarding the second look weekend. Seems like the invites started arriving on Feb 24 last year so that isn't too long away if they do that again this year.

InternationlDoc said:

In case you're still reading this it's probably a question that is much better suited to just ask the school. It is true that they have a clinician focus. But there have been rumors in some of the Hampton Roads papers that the school will be devoting much more $$$ to research in the future. If this is true, it might be the best possible place for you to go.

ghostchild said:
In case you're still reading this it's probably a question that is much better suited to just ask the school. It is true that they have a clinician focus. But there have been rumors in some of the Hampton Roads papers that the school will be devoting much more $$$ to research in the future. If this is true, it might be the best possible place for you to go.

You are correct. They are opening a new 'cardiac center'. I visited their SP patient building (lol...i was late on my interview becuz of this, but they liked the fact I went there to check it out!) and it was nice.

EVMS looked like a peaceful community. That much peace, I haven't had in my life. May be I'll go. And yes, $$$ are being devoted there, but essentially they DO NOT have any dual program in research. I would love to go there, but I was thinking about doing engineering PhD on the side.

The research opportunity they speak of is technical and exciting ...man, this is a tough one.

I called EVMS yesterday (Feb 23rd) and was told I was accepted! :) The director of admissions got on the phone to talk to me about some paperwork they need from me, and I asked her if the acceptance was to the waitlist (as I presumed)... She said no, that it was an out-right acceptance. Of course I am extremely excited! I thought best case scenario for me was a lengthy wait on the waitlist, and all the stress that goes along with that. BTW, I interviewed there Feb 8th.

DrewFromVA said:
I called EVMS yesterday (Feb 23rd) and was told I was accepted! :) The director of admissions got on the phone to talk to me about some paperwork they need from me, and I asked her if the acceptance was to the waitlist (as I presumed)... She said no, that it was an out-right acceptance. Of course I am extremely excited! I thought best case scenario for me was a lengthy wait on the waitlist, and all the stress that goes along with that. BTW, I interviewed there Feb 8th.

Congrats Drew from Va!! i wish I was Vizsla from Va....

DrewFromVA said:

Congrats! :thumbup: It looked to me like it was a great school and unlike most other schools, it would actually be a little fun to be there. I'm sure it's also a relief to many people to hear that they are still accepting. Is that definitely where you're going?

Thanks Viz and Ghost! EVMS was my first choice and I will definitely accept their acceptance :)

DrewFromVA said:
Thanks Viz and Ghost! EVMS was my first choice and I will definitely accept their acceptance :)

Congrats Drew! Maybe I should call them on Monday...

I called them today... I'm in! (I also interviewed on the 8th)

Wow!! That is awesome :) Congratulations!

Em1 said:
I called them today... I'm in! (I also interviewed on the 8th)

Hey Em1

Are you in-state for EVMS? I have been put on the waitlist there. I am from NC.
Congratulations.. are you gonna go to EVMS? or do you have other offers?

Best wishes.

2DEG said:
Hey Em1

Are you in-state for EVMS? I have been put on the waitlist there. I am from NC.
Congratulations.. are you gonna go to EVMS? or do you have other offers?

Best wishes.

I am in-state... not sure where I'm gonna go though. I'd be happy with EVMS, but it's my first acceptance- I'm waiting to hear back from other schools.

Hi,
I just called EVMS today and found out I was waitlisted in the middle 1/3. I interviewd on Feb. 10. I'll be sending letter of intent out to them next month since I'm still waiting to hear from 2 more schools. Do you think I should mention that I was accepted to their Medical Master program in the letter? Good luck to everyone.
BTW: I'm oos.

confuse said:
Hi,
I just called EVMS today and found out I was waitlisted in the middle 1/3. I interviewd on Feb. 10. I'll be sending letter of intent out to them next month since I'm still waiting to hear from 2 more schools. Do you think I should mention that I was accepted to their Medical Master program in the letter? Good luck to everyone.
BTW: I'm oos.

I don't see that it would hurt to mention it. It shows that you like their school that much that you've applied to another one of their programs. (they probably already know you're in anyway)

Anybody have any idea if EVMS has stopped interviewing?

With the preview weekend coming up I would think they must be pretty close.

do they begin choosing off the waitlist immediately after they stop interviewing?

Depakote said:
I believe I saw someone in the Wall of Fame Thread that said they had been pulled from the Waitlist already...

It makes sense that the interviews have ended and everybody has been evaluated before having the preview weekend so they would know exactly who to invite. I would think that this thread might be used over the next few weeks as people begin to get pulled in off the waitlist to fill the remaining spots and any possible withdrawals. That was why I originally asked, I think it's about time to expect waitlist movement because probably nobody else remains to be evaluated by the Adcom. Hear that Tacrum??? Good luck to all waiting. Can't wait to hear all the success stories ;). Hope you all hear good news real soon! :thumbup: EVMS will be a great place to be come August!

ghostchild said:
It makes sense that the interviews have ended and everybody has been evaluated before having the preview weekend so they would know exactly who to invite. I would think that this thread might be used over the next few weeks as people begin to get pulled in off the waitlist to fill the remaining spots and any possible withdrawals. That was why I originally asked, I think it's about time to expect waitlist movement because probably nobody else remains to be evaluated by the Adcom. Hear that Tacrum??? Good luck to all waiting. Can't wait to hear all the success stories ;). Hope you all hear good news real soon! :thumbup: EVMS will be a great place to be come August!

God, I hope I hear soon. *crosses fingers*

Anyway, see you guys at preview weekend.

Depakote said:
God, I hope I hear soon. *crosses fingers*

Anyway, see you guys at preview weekend.

Your signature link is funny. I feel the same way.

I'm new to posting on SDN but a reader over the past few weeks, I'm on the EVMS waitlist and wandering if there's anything I can do to improve my chances. I'm in the middle third last time I checked but really loved the school and the area. I've been reading SDN for a while though. I applied to EVMS really late, like 2 weeks before the deadline and it's my own fault because I was planning on taking a year off. But now that I'm here, would a LOI help me out at all at this point in the year or is it too late for it to help? I would rather be at EVMS than anywhere else so it would be sincere but I can't help but thinking it might be too late for an LOI to do anything.

UFO said:
I'm new to posting on SDN but a reader over the past few weeks, I'm on the EVMS waitlist and wandering if there's anything I can do to improve my chances. I'm in the middle third last time I checked but really loved the school and the area. I've been reading SDN for a while though. I applied to EVMS really late, like 2 weeks before the deadline and it's my own fault because I was planning on taking a year off. But now that I'm here, would a LOI help me out at all at this point in the year or is it too late for it to help? I would rather be at EVMS than anywhere else so it would be sincere but I can't help but thinking it might be too late for an LOI to do anything.

Well, I don't think a LOI can hurt you.

Depakote said:
Well, I don't think a LOI can hurt you.

That was what I was thinking but I can't help feeling bad about the whole process because I don't like my chances. I was kind of questioning the point of even doing it. Sorry to go on and vent about it. I will go ahead and write one and send it in. I'll let you all know if it helps to get me into the top 1/3 or if anything happens. Thanks for your help.

UFO said:
That was what I was thinking but I can't help feeling bad about the whole process because I don't like my chances. I was kind of questioning the point of even doing it. Sorry to go on and vent about it. I will go ahead and write one and send it in. I'll let you all know if it helps to get me into the top 1/3 or if anything happens. Thanks for your help.

I would go ahead and send it. Especially if you're oos I would think you've got a reasonably good shot.

Depakote, you were in the top 1/3 weren't you? I would think that you'll get an acceptance letter here before too long so try not to worry too much. The problem is people holding multiple acceptances at this point and I don't think EVMS overbooks. You should at least get some kind of reward for answering all the questions about EVMS that have been on this thread! :laugh: See you all at preview weekend in another week and a day!

called yesterday 8/22 told i was waitlisted in the middle 1/3. any advice? btw i'm caucasian male, IS, 3.4, 32Q. good luck to all.

bikedoc1021 said:
called yesterday 8/22 told i was waitlisted in the middle 1/3. any advice? btw i'm caucasian male, IS, 3.4, 32Q. good luck to all.

Well, welcome to the thread but 8/22 was about 7 months ago. But I'll just assume you meant 3/22!! :laugh:

I'm not sure how much help I'll be but I wanted to say good luck. :luck:
EVMS appeared to me to be a school where it would greatly help you out to keep in touch with the school. Send a brief update letter every couple months and phone in every few weeks to check your position on the waitlist. Just be interested in the school and when it gets to middle June, if a spot opens up and they know that you'll take the spot it will be tempting for them to call you instead of somebody else they've not heard from in 6 months. You're right at and maybe a little above their average numbers so I would think you'd have a good shot if that makes you feel any better. Also, if it's your top choice, a Letter of Intent wouldn't hurt either. Not sure how much help any of my advice will be but I don't think it could hurt. Good luck again and welcome to the thread.