EVMS Medical Masters 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Approximately how many hours a day do you need to study in order to do well (top 50%)?

I have no idea which GPA they look at, but I can confidently say that how you do in the program is weighted more than what you had coming in.

In reply to the above, how long you need to study is going to vary a lot. Start with a system and learn to evaluate yourself with questions to see if you’re happy with where you are. You won’t know how you stack up to others until you see test averages. Repetition, not total hours, is key. Full disclosure I definitely didn’t study more than 4-6 hours a day. Some people studied almost 12.
 
I’m a past MedMasters student and current EVMS medical student what questions do you guys have?
I'm currently in my last semester of college, definite upward trend but finishing with a 2.7ish including repeats. I'm currently looking into SMP's and wonder if I get a solid MCAT is there a solid chance of getting in? I'm afraid that even though it says it accepts 2.75 or higher, I'll just end up getting rejected by those who have literally anything higher since I know my gpa is that low. Thanks in advance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Abraxas65 What was your GPA during the MedMasters program? Was there anything else you did that you think helped you get into their Medical School?
 
@Abraxas65 What was your GPA during the MedMasters program? Was there anything else you did that you think helped you get into their Medical School?


My gpa was ~3.6 the few things I had going for me was being moderately involved on campus (I was a member of two small clubs and a course rep) and being pleasant. I came into the program with some research experience (no publications but a few posters) several years in the past and a lot of healthcare experience which helped. Honestly if you get accepted into the program you should already have a lot of the boxes checked that you need for medical school the program is really there to show that you can handle the workload. So the best thing you can do is do well on your classes and not pissing anybody off also you would think the last bit wouldn’t need to be mentioned but you would be surprised.
 
What exactly do you mean by pissing people off? Like can you give some examples?

One of the most important things to remember in the program is to present yourself in a professional manner at all times. The faculty is watching (yes, Orwellian in some aspects) to ensure that the students in the program are good fits for medical school. Recently we had one of our professors mention to us that some of us had been complained about and noticed due to complaints or unprofessional behaviour, and she warned us that it was of paramount importance to be professional at all times.
 
What exactly do you mean by pissing people off? Like can you give some examples?

Arguing with professors (not talking/questioning but straight up arguing), speaking poorly/disparagingly about other students/professors in very public spaces (ex. s**t talking about professors with friends while eating lunch in the student lounge where you are surrounded by 20-40 other people), sending unprofessional emails (this is a minor issue and likely wont result in an official complaint but seriously learn how to write a professional email its an important skill to have and its really not that hard) and generally just being an ass.

This is so concerning? Will they tell us if we have been complained about?

Its actually a really big deal because one of the most likely reasons medical students/residents/attendings will run into problems throughout there education/career has to do with unprofessional acts so the school takes it very seriously. My experience has been that they do not let students know official complaints have been made to them but its also likely that the few who do get told they have complaints just dont talk about it.

Honestly its actually really really f*cking easy to go through this program and never having any professionalisms issues, the vast majority of students do so without a problem. There is usually only few people a year who have problems with professionalism and while they themselves might not realize they have professionalism issues most of their classmates if asked could easily point out the people in class that are getting complained about this s**t is usually very apparent to everyone else. Simply act like you would at a job you actually care about and you will be fine.

A few big tips that can help are
  • Learning to write professionally (as I stated above) something as simple as googling "how to be professional in an email" and following the very few rules you find there can pretty much guarantee you will be fine.
  • Use your class representatives for general questions/concerns/complaints, if you need to you can email professors individually but if you are sending an email to them a week or more then you need to either start using your class reps, have an in person meeting or figure out why you need so much extra help/explanation when compared to your peers. A single email a week isn't much but when you have a class size of 200+ and they all send these emails it can very quickly become overwhelming.
  • Take responsibility for your screw ups. If you forget something or miss a mandatory class reach out to the professor and explain what happened taking full responsibility for the fact that you screwed up and explain how you will make sure it doesn't happen again. This approach will get you far further than trying to skirt responsibility for the fact that you forgot to do something or didn't take the time to figure out when and where you were supposed to be.
 
@Abraxas65 Also, I had some questions about the housing arrangements. Can we live on campus in a dorm or do we have to live offcampus? If we have to live off campus, approx how much do the apartments cost for studio or 1 bedroom and how do we find a roommate before moving in?
 
Is the financial aid for the medical masters program good? Do they give lots of scholarships and grants, or do we just take out 60k in loans if we're out of state?
 
@Abraxas65 Also, I had some questions about the housing arrangements. Can we live on campus in a dorm or do we have to live offcampus? If we have to live off campus, approx how much do the apartments cost for studio or 1 bedroom and how do we find a roommate before moving in?

EVMS doesn’t have an undergraduate program so there are no dorms. Everyone for the most part lives in Ghent which is the neighborhood right around the school. Can’t really give an estimate on cost because I’m married and my wife and I rent a larger house with 3+ bedrooms for <$2000/month.

Once you get accepted and put a deposit down you will be invited to the class Facebook group and a lot of people find roommates there and there is usually an excel sheet with people looking for roommates.

Is the financial aid for the medical masters program good? Do they give lots of scholarships and grants, or do we just take out 60k in loans if we're out of state?

You aren’t going to find any SMP in the country that offers significant amounts of grants/scholarships, unless your family can help expect to pull out the full amount of student loans.
 
@Abraxas65 Do you know anyone who did really well in the program like > 3.7 GPA, but still didnt get into the EVMS med school?
 
@Abraxas65 Do you know anyone who did really well in the program like > 3.7 GPA, but still didnt get into the EVMS med school?

3.7 and above no but I do know of someone who got around 3.6 and didn’t get in. But let’s just say they had personality issues that everyone but them could see. Like really blatant you should probably not say things like that in a professional setting kind of personality issues.
 
Question for those who were accepted- i know the school likes service-did you have lots of volunteering? I have a bit of clinical expereince and a lot of nonclinical but it's not at one location. I'm heavily involved with a local club so we volunteer all over the city but we do "repeats" every semester. is that okay or is it mroe beneficial to start getting some hours at one place?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question for those who were accepted- i know the school likes service-did you have lots of volunteering? I have a bit of clinical expereince and a lot of nonclinical but it's not at one location. I'm heavily involved with a local club so we volunteer all over the city but we do "repeats" every semester. is that okay or is it mroe beneficial to start getting some hours at one place?
Total number of hours is important
 
Just got accepted today! Can someone clarify the laptop requirements? I got a confusing email saying Macs dont work for NBME exams or something....
 
Last edited:
Just got accepted today! Can someone clarify the laptop requirements? I got a confusing email saying Macs dont work for NBME exams or something....

Dont worry about the laptop requirement that school now makes all exams be done on their computers. Plenty of people rocking macs (I dont know why!) in both the MD and MM program.
 
EVMS doesn’t have an undergraduate program so there are no dorms. Everyone for the most part lives in Ghent which is the neighborhood right around the school. Can’t really give an estimate on cost because I’m married and my wife and I rent a larger house with 3+ bedrooms for <$2000/month.

Once you get accepted and put a deposit down you will be invited to the class Facebook group and a lot of people find roommates there and there is usually an excel sheet with people looking for roommates.



You aren’t going to find any SMP in the country that offers significant amounts of grants/scholarships, unless your family can help expect to pull out the full amount of student loans.

Has there been a Facebook group created? I was accepted and paid a deposit but I was not invited to a Facebook group. Would love to find roommates and figure out my housing situation for next year.
 
Has there been a Facebook group created? I was accepted and paid a deposit but I was not invited to a Facebook group. Would love to find roommates and figure out my housing situation for next year.

The facebook group is created by the school. You can try searching for it the name is usually some combo of EVMS MM one year than the year. I was directly invited if I remember correct.