EVMS Medical Masters 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted (!!!), and am currently deciding on whether to attend... I have a few questions though for any current students on this feed - how many students go through the AMCAS/AACOMAS application processes during the program? And how many schools do people typically apply to with this program (and MD, DO or both)? I see that the first semester of the one year program is 17 credits, and am kinda concerned with how to manage interviews and traveling for them...
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got accepted (!!!), and am currently deciding on whether to attend... I have a few questions though for any current students on this feed - how many students go through the AMCAS/AACOMAS application processes during the program? And how many schools do people typically apply to with this program (and MD, DO or both)? I see that the first semester of the one year program is 17 credits, and am kinda concerned with how to manage interviews and traveling for them...
Thanks in advance!
How did you do on your MCAT, if you don't mind me asking! I'm just curious to see my chances of getting accepted into the one-year program with applying so late and not having my MCAT scores yet.

I'm confused on whether we're supposed to be uploading documents (essays, recommendation letters, resumes) on the EVMS supplemental site or on POSTBACCAS? I know it asks for a photo of yourself to be sent to the supplemental site but is that all?
Yeah pretty much just the photo I mean I put my essay there as well just in case but it will still let you submit without all that. No need to request LORs on there either if you've done them already

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all I got accepted into the 2 year program today and if anyone who has done or is currently in the 2 year track could speak on their experience that would be greatly appreciated! Or any alum of the MS program who might have some insight on some questions:
Is working during the 2yr track a possibility since it's more spread out?
How difficult is it studying for the MCAT during the first year? When do people typically take it?
Is the average gpa considered for acceptance to the med school feasible? Any lower or higher than the 1yr track?
Also is there a Facebook page for the 2yr?!

CONGRATS!!!!! I'm applying to 2 year track as well but anxiously still waiting for letter of recommendations to come through. Do you know how long it took for them to review your app once it was completed for the 2 year track?

It appears from talking with 1 Year MM students that the two year track includes MCAT study course as part of credits so you'll have plenty of time to study during the Spring Semester. People take it during spring time; someone I talked to who was in 2 year MM took it during May.

Found the two year fb group! Type in EVMS MM Two-Year C/O 2020 on fb :) (sorry SDN is not allowing me to post link right now)
Thanks I'll look into it! I submitted PostBacCAS on 5/28, was verified the next day (I already had all the components submitted for a while by then though) and I submitted the secondary app like 1-2 days after that. On 6/5 they emailed me saying they were going to review my app on Thursday which is also the day I heard back, so all in all it was pretty quick! Good luck with your app and hope you get in as well!

How did you do on your MCAT, if you don't mind me asking! I'm just curious to see my chances of getting accepted into the one-year program with applying so late and not having my MCAT scores yet.
Hey, no problem! PM me and I'll be happy to tell you!

Just got accepted to the one-year program!!! Now to deal with financial aid and housing and and and....

Former Med Master here; incoming MD student. The courseload is heavy, and material is released one week at a time generally. Any way you slice it, it is very involving. The first semester you will spend a lot of time in the Anatomy lab if you want to be successful, and the second semester dives into the details of each system (Skin, Bone, Muscle & GI). As far as EC's it completely depends on how much time you're hoping to devote to other things. You can do that if you manage your time, but it's tough. Don't worry about the gpa average. Instead worry about not getting any B's and trying to stay above the test average that is typically released after each exam. Contrary to what everyone will tell you, grades are not the only factor that is considered. You should strive to be professional, display a positive attitude and willingness to work, integrate yourself into the wider community, and attenuate whatever your weaknesses are. Be a strong, well rounded candidate. Lastly, understand that as long as you are successful in the program, you will become very competitive for a large number of schools upon completing your degree.
Does mcat performance make a difference in terms of who links, or is it just performance within the program?

Does mcat performance make a difference in terms of who links, or is it just performance within the program?

MCAT matters but far less than how you do in the program. If your MCAT is a concern for you reach out to the admin staff and ask their opinion on whether or not you need to retake.

Hey everyone! I'm about to submit my application for the 2 year option but I wanted to know if I have a shot?? Im so scared of getting rejected!! 2.8 overall and 478 MCAT. Life issues got in the way and it reflected on my grades

Hey everyone! I'm about to submit my application for the 2 year option but I wanted to know if I have a shot?? Im so scared of getting rejected!! 2.8 overall and 478 MCAT. Life issues got in the way and it reflected on my grades
Honestly, I think it's late in the cycle and the spots for the 2 year are significantly smaller so they might be filled up. EVMS is very receptive to calls so your best bet is to call and ask tomorrow.

They unfortunately have a recommended minimum of 496 for the 2 yr. I would say study very hard and retake the MCAT and kill it:) You can also still apply to some gpa recovery postbacc programs that dont require an MCAT, such as UPenn. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have any suggestions as far as laptops for this program/medical school?

From the Facebook group:

Parth Patel said:
Hey guys!

I feel like I keep seeing questions about this so just figured I would share as a post. The computing requirements for EVMS are not strict at all. I used a five year old MacBook Air all year just fine. Just don’t bring in a potato to your first day of classes.

As always, feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Seems pretty lenient. I hear of people using an iPad for general notetaking, that's what I'll probably use for the program.

From the Facebook group:

Seems pretty lenient. I hear of people using an iPad for general notetaking, that's what I'll probably use for the program.

Yo, you can’t use an iPad; it’s gotta be a laptop. There are tech requirements that you will find on your portal when you log into the EVMS website. Carry on.

EDIT: I used an HP Spectre, which is awesome because it converts into tablet form.

I sent in my applications. But one college is taking forever to send in transcripts. Does anyone know ignorance EVMS sends out conditional acceptance spending transcript retrieval? Apparently they can view my application even though PostBacCAS hasn’t verified it.

I sent in my applications. But one college is taking forever to send in transcripts. Does anyone know ignorance EVMS sends out conditional acceptance spending transcript retrieval? Apparently they can view my application even though PostBacCAS hasn’t verified it.
Call the office of admission for the MM program. They are very receptive to phone calls.

Yo, you can’t use an iPad; it’s gotta be a laptop. There are tech requirements that you will find on your portal when you log into the EVMS website. Carry on.

EDIT: I used an HP Spectre, which is awesome because it converts into tablet form.

I'm going to be using an Apple Macbook in conjunction with my iPad; using the iPad gives me the benefits of handwriting with none of the paper mess

So I checked on the secondary portal and it says I was offered a position on Monday (I can also pay the $300 deposit on the portal) and I got an email telling me the tech requirements but I still haven't officially heard?

So I checked on the secondary portal and it says I was offered a position on Monday (I can also pay the $300 deposit on the portal) and I got an email telling me the tech requirements but I still haven't officially heard?
Check spam folder in email

Question for previous or current students: do we need to have a vehicle while doing the 1-year course? I wont be able to bring my car down there and was wondering if I can rely on public transport. I will be living at the on campus housing. Are places like gym, groceries, etc close enough to walk? Thanks!

Question for previous or current students: do we need to have a vehicle while doing the 1-year course? I wont be able to bring my car down there and was wondering if I can rely on public transport. I will be living at the on campus housing. Are places like gym, groceries, etc close enough to walk? Thanks!

Hey! So you do not need a vehicle, especially with where you will be living. I brought my car up, and as the year wore on it became very difficult to keep the battery charged because I was walking and using public transport so often. Your miles may vary. Sans car, the only thing you might have to carpool for is buying groceries (Harris Teeter’s is a few miles away). Otherwise you will be fine with walking to class and using HRT public transit (especially the light rail) which takes you from EVMC all the way into down town. It is super convenient and keeps time very well. As far as gyms go, most people either use the YMCA (one light rail stop from EVMS and also within walking distance) or OneLife Fitness.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm reading in the EVMS MM1 year handbook that:

"Medical Master’s students will receive a waitlist letter after their interview and compete for slots in the entering class from the regular medical school waitlist. It must be understood that Medical Master’s students are not guaranteed admission to the EVMS MD Program. Medical Master’s students who are accepted to EVMS will be formally notified of acceptance after graduation. Although this process of offering acceptances from the waitlist usually occurs within 1-3 weeks after graduation, some students may receive their notices very late in the summer."

So does this mean we are competing against other non-EVMS MM candidates for spots in the MD class while on the waitlist? When have most people heard back about their acceptances?

Also how strict is the dresscode and is it block scheduling or no?

I’ll try to answer your questions, but I admit to being confused by what you’re asking. What do you mean by “other non-EVMS MM candidates?” You will be competing with other 1-years and the second year of the 2-year program (usually about 70 people) for 30 or so guaranteed slots. BTW, nobody hears anything until after mandatory graduation ceremony. The medical school then ranks and wait lists the remaining candidates, meaning that at that point within a week of the graduation ceremony finishing anyone who has not received an acceptance is competing with the general MD admissions. Typically, total MM acceptance can be as high as 35, but if you’re one of those 5 that makes it off the waitlist you might not know until the end of the summer.

Although it’s true that you’re all competing, I would urge you not to behave like it’s a competition. That kind of attitude will end your medical career before it starts. EVMS is not very tolerant of saboteurs and cutthroat gunners. You will get a reputation very quickly if you seem like you’re unwilling to help your peers -and even if you have a 4.0, you will not get in if you clearly display negative personality traits.

You are required to wear full scrubs and closed toed shoes to anatomy lab. Dress code is otherwise not strict, but people are watching. My advice is to dress like you deserve to be in medical school. Treat every day like it’s a mini interview. I know that sounds a little stressful but you don’t have to go overboard. All I’m trying to say is don’t dress like some of the med students dress. They are already in school; you on the other hand are trying to make an impression. The rule I personally used was that I always dressed up for guest speakers, or in situations where I was representing the class or the school.

In undergrad, your peers are your classmates. In medical school, your peers are your future colleagues. Think about that. Resist any urge to die your hair a neon color every 2 months. If you have tattoos, hopefully they aren’t on your face or neck (sorry Post). If you have a septum ring, consider wearing a more conservative stud. And for the love of God, don’t wear tank tops or clothes advertising alcohol/marijuana to class. I promise none of the labs will require shotgunning beer.

The scheduling isn’t block, per se, but if you rephrase your question to be more specific I can tell you more about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your very detailed reply! You answered all of my questions. The first one was about competing against other MD candidates on the waitlist who didn’t do the medical masters program. It is a little scary that only 30 seats in total are reserved for both programs but that’s a lot more than other SMPs/ Postbacs.

Also, how many people interview for the 30 slots? Is it ~50?

Do we need to purchase our own scrubs for anatomy lab?

The dresscode I am a little concerned about. Are leggings/ warm weather clothes ok? Or should it mainly be business casual clothes that one would wear to work?

By block scheduling I meant how some schools have only 1 unit at a time. For example would we be taking all 3 of the fall sem classes at the same time or is it one class everyday for the first 5 weeks then the next and then the last?

Thank you for answering all these questions, I hope I was more clear this time!
From my understanding, spring semester is block scheduling. So one class at a time. In the fall we are going to be taking anatomy and foundational science at the same time

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your very detailed reply! You answered all of my questions. The first one was about competing against other MD candidates on the waitlist who didn’t do the medical masters program. It is a little scary that only 30 seats in total are reserved for both programs but that’s a lot more than other SMPs/ Postbacs.

Also, how many people interview for the 30 slots? Is it ~50?

Do we need to purchase our own scrubs for anatomy lab?

The dresscode I am a little concerned about. Are leggings/ warm weather clothes ok? Or should it mainly be business casual clothes that one would wear to work?

By block scheduling I meant how some schools have only 1 unit at a time. For example would we be taking all 3 of the fall sem classes at the same time or is it one class everyday for the first 5 weeks then the next and then the last?

Thank you for answering all these questions, I hope I was more clear this time!

Definitely! I’m happy to provide some clarity.

1) Every member of your class will get an interview, barring something serious like an academic probation. This is because it would be both unfair and very stressful. You’re paying a lot for this program and not having the added consideration that an interview affords would unfairly disadvantage some people before the final bell, so to speak.

2) Yes, you will have to have at least 2 pairs of scrubs. My advice is to go to a medical supply store or shop online right now, that way if you need any alterations made you can get those out of the way before class.

3) Really, don’t worry too much about the dress code. I think I got a little carried away thinking about mishaps I’ve seen and trying to inject some humor, but day to day your dress will probably become one of the last things on your mind. Nobody will call you out for wearing leggings in non-mandatory class, but then again there aren’t that many mandatory classes. If you’re just in the library or something you can wear whatever (within reason). Business casual, or just dressing smartly and looking like you didn’t roll out of bed -even if you did b/c we’ve all been there -is important sometimes. The ones that come to mind include: Current issues in healthcare/public policy class (forgot the actual name, but this is the class we had once a week 1st semester), mandatory classes (usually mandatory because they’re important or there is a guest speaker, visits to the patient simulation lab, and ceremonies/meetings where you confer some degree of representation for EVMS.

4) For the last question, the answer is you are exactly correct. It is both.
The first semester you take 3 classes at once, and the second semester you take 3 classes one at a time for ~5 or 6 weeks each. I think the consensus is that the second semester was harder, but if you’re diligent right out of the gate, you will be at an immense advantage. Most people suffer from slow start. Take advantage of the fact that FS is one of the easier yet more weighted classes you will have and try to get a std dev above the mean on those first couple of tests. You will appreciate that cushion towards the end.
It also makes sense because the only material that won’t come back full circle in the second semester is heavy anatomy stuff. I saw the same question on tests for 3 different classes, just to illustrate my point.

Other advice I have: get an anatomy tutor. Do it early on, as soon as possible. You may not need a tutor in any other class, but get an anatomy tutor so you can make the best use of your time in the lab. Some of my classmates are incredible resources and it would be foolish not to use them to your benefit. If you don’t, others will, and they’ll kick your butt in anatomy.

Enjoy your summer. I didn’t do any pre-studying last summer. And if I had to do it again I would do the same thing. If anything, just compile any relevant notes from undergrad and bring them in case you need to look back on a topic. Recall is faster with familiar notes.

Don’t nag professors for points back; don’t go rogue. It never works. You will have great representation through your student course reps -use them or TAs for specific concerns.

Practice questions. They’re gorgeous, beautiful even. I recommend UWORLD, BRS (for FS) and Grey’s Anatomy/Anatomy Guy.
Despite containing the word “First,” never use First Aid to make a first pass at the material. It’s way too broad. Stick to what’s covered in the power points. Rabbit holes are low yield unless they add something basic to your understanding.

You will do this. You are stronger than you realize. Take the risks that might pay off. Stay in control of your life (eat, sleep, enjoy being in Norfolk).

Reactions: 2 users
For those that have been accepted. Were you notified by mail or email?

For those that have been accepted. Were you notified by mail or email?

I was notified via an email that said that my acceptance had expired and they asked if I'd like to extend the acceptance for a week.

Is anyone else somewhat panicking about the fact that there's less than a month to orientation (and that are still looking for housing eek!)

Hey
Is anyone looking for roommates? Where do most of the students live ?

Thanks in advance!!

Hey
Is anyone looking for roommates? Where do most of the students live ?

Thanks in advance!!

The campus-managed apartments are full up now, if you go on the fb page you should find a google spreadsheet with people frantically searching for roommates.

Hello, guys! I have a question regarding the 2-year program.

My scores meet the minimum requirement for the 1-year program, but I really like how the 2-year program has volunteer and shadowing opportunities included in the curriculum. As I was originally a pre-dental student, my volunteer experience in hospitals and physician shadowing hours are close to none, so this is quite appealing to me. I'm just not sure if it's worth going with the longer route...

Would it be better to get these experiences on my own prior to applying to the 1-year program or should I just go with the 2-year program? I know it's more of a personal question, but I just wanted to hear people's opinion.

Thank you!

My scores meet the minimum requirement for the 1-year program, but I really like how the 2-year program has volunteer and shadowing opportunities included in the curriculum. As I was originally a pre-dental student, my volunteer experience in hospitals and physician shadowing hours are close to none, so this is quite appealing to me. I'm just not sure if it's worth going with the longer route...

Would it be better to get these experiences on my own prior to applying to the 1-year program or should I just go with the 2-year program? I know it's more of a personal question, but I just wanted to hear people's opinion.

Thank you!
I think from a purely financial perspective it would be to your benefit to attempt to keep it to just one year.

Thank you!

Contact the MM program directly and ask them they will have a much better idea of which cohort you would fit in to best.

Thank you!

Can you elaborate a bit? What are your concerns/priorities? For example, is it the additional costs, or are you worried that it will be more difficult to get in as a 2-year candidate?

I was not a 2-year student, but they speak very highly of the additional opportunities, and it’s never a bad idea to get some face time with clinicians at the school you hope to attend!

Not to mention, if you don’t have clinical experience it will in all likelihood come out during your interview, and potentially impede you.

On the other hand, speaking just from my personal compiled statistics, I can say that even with accounting for the smaller class size, there was a lower number of 2-year students admitted by proportion this past cycle. Obviously this may not be representative of an overall trend, but if you go that route (and I think it is a great idea) you should definitely be prepared to work very hard that second year. As a returning student there is a tendency to let down your guard. Don’t become apathetic or get lulled into a false sense of security.

It looks like the schedule will be pretty busy from week 1; have past 1 year MMs been able to complete med school apps after the program started or did most people just finish before school?

Do absolutely everything you can to finish them before hand! Seriously don’t wait so them now.

I finished most, but I'm going on a trip from tomorrow till the day before orientation. Is the first week of classes/orientation weekend busy too?

Yes but less so than later in the semester (it’s more being overwhelmed with everything than having tons of material to get through). It’s not that it’s the end of the world if you don’t get them all done but your life is going to be far less stressful once you get all of your secondaries done.

Does anyone have any suggestions for jobs that I could get during the program? Work-study is not available for MM students and my parents are hounding me to find one for the program (or if anyone has a link to where they recommend against work during the program that would be appreciated).

Well after asking my parents about the place where it says explicitly that it's highly recommended against, my parents said that they're sure I'm not going to be the only one getting a job. So anyone have any good suggestions or hookups?

Last edited:
Does anyone have any suggestions for jobs that I could get during the program? Work-study is not available for MM students and my parents are hounding me to find one for the program (or if anyone has a link to where they recommend against work during the program that would be appreciated).

Well after asking my parents about the place where it says explicitly that it's highly recommended against, my parents said that they're sure I'm not going to be the only one getting a job. So anyone have any good suggestions or hookups?

This is a common question. Take out student loans if you need to. That’s what they’re for, and it’s what most people do. The reality is that very few actually try to work because the program itself is like a full time job.

Here’s the thing: how badly do you want to get into medical school? If you do really well this year and get in, you can consider working during your M1/M2 years (when your neck isn’t on the line). If you try to have it all and don’t get in, prolonging the start of your career is going to cost you more in the long run. This year will require your full focus, and if you aren’t willing to make that sacrifice then you’ve already handicapped yourself.

Tell your parents that there will be ample opportunities to make money when you are accepted into the med program (which is true), and that you really need this year to prove yourself so that you can progress further in your career goals.

This is a common question. Take out student loans if you need to. That’s what they’re for, and it’s what most people do. The reality is that very few actually try to work because the program itself is like a full time job.

Here’s the thing: how badly do you want to get into medical school? If you do really well this year and get in, you can consider working during your M1/M2 years (when your neck isn’t on the line). If you try to have it all and don’t get in, prolonging the start of your career is going to cost you more in the long run. This year will require your full focus, and if you aren’t willing to make that sacrifice then you’ve already handicapped yourself.

Tell your parents that there will be ample opportunities to make money when you are accepted into the med program (which is true), and that you really need this year to prove yourself so that you can progress further in your career goals.

@SherlockSHolmes please take the above to heart do not get a job. Hell if your parents really give you **** about this talk to some of your upperclassman who are former MMs. Everyone of the, will recommend against working. **** I’ll tell your parents myself if you need me to.

Do you know what they did differently than the other 35 that didn't get in? Like did they get above a 3.7 during MM or something else?

No, I can’t claim to have any knowledge about that specifically. The school uses a complex rubric that takes into account not only your grades, involvement, and previous experiences, but also things like demographics (they accept a certain number of males/females, in-state/out-of-state students, etc). There aren’t any cheat codes or surefire ways to get in other than focusing on being a well-rounded candidate, having your face seen around the MM office from time to time, and consistently being in the top ~45% of the class grades-wise.

Life is a lot like that though. From here on out you’ll find that rarely is anything ever guaranteed. You have to take risks, and work to see things long-term, as opposed to grading periods. Don’t rely on just one avenue to get you there, unless you’re confident you can stand out in that one particular area. If you plan to live in the library and do nothing but work out and study, you’d better have the grades (~3.9) to show for it.

Are all the classes hard as medical school classes and much harder than the undergraduate classes? And are A's only 93+?

Are all the classes hard as medical school classes and much harder than the undergraduate classes? And are A's only 93+?

As per their website: "Our program offers a rigorous medical curriculum, with five of seven courses taken with first-year medical students" So yes 5/7 classes are actually medical school classes.

Approximately how many hours a day do you need to study in order to do well (top 50%)?

Also, does anyone know what GPA they look at during admissions to Medical Masters? Do they just look at your undergrad GPA on your college transcript or do they calculate it the same way that AMCAAS does it?