EVMS vs Liberty Med Master's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alllpallll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
———————

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey @alllpallll

I'm here in Virginia Beach as well and I have a question for you. Have you heard anything about the contemporary human anatomy masters offered by EVMS. SDN doesn't offer any information on it that i can find.

As for your question, i'd look into a number of things including what school you want to attend for medical school, matriculation rates, location, and cost. Let's work backwards..

Liberty (osteopathic), Assuming MS biomedical science
  • 2017-2018 Tuition: $605 per credit hour (~$23,000)
  • Lynchburg, VA (cost of living is lower, but also much less to do)
  • Doesn't offer matriculation rates readily online or info on post completion interview ( I inquired about info and will update upon a response)
  • 1 year program. You should be studying for the mcat now so you can take it early and apply this cycle 2017-2018 to avoid a glide year
EVMS (Allopathic) Assuming MS medical science

• $52,937 for both years
  • Norfolk,VA (excluding Ghent the cost of living is lower than va beach and plenty to do even if you commute)
  • 88% of the Class of 2015 has been accepted into either a MD or DO school. (One Pharmacy School Acceptance as well). 78% of the Class of 2016 has been accepted into either a MD or DO school. The site also says every student from 2014-2016 classes have been given an interview at EVMS.
  • 2 year program, includes MCAT preperation, Shadowing, and interview skills.
I asked them about the lower acceptance rate in 2016, and was told that she updates it every year for 5 years as students are accepted into med school.

notable differences. Two years vs one and the cost associated. (23k/yr vs 25k/yr x 2). Location. MD vs DO

just a bump on my question at the beginning of the post.

I haven't heard anything about that other master's program you mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you heard anything about the contemporary human anatomy program? I was recently accepted and was wondering if anyone else had any information on the program or students getting into any health professional school after the program. I can't find a thread about the program on here and since it's still new there's not much information on the school's website about student success.

Hey @alllpallll

I'm here in Virginia Beach as well and I have a question for you. Have you heard anything about the contemporary human anatomy masters offered by EVMS. SDN doesn't offer any information on it that i can find.

As for your question, i'd look into a number of things including what school you want to attend for medical school, matriculation rates, location, and cost. Let's work backwards..

Liberty (osteopathic), Assuming MS biomedical science
  • 2017-2018 Tuition: $605 per credit hour (~$23,000)
  • Lynchburg, VA (cost of living is lower, but also much less to do)
  • Doesn't offer matriculation rates readily online or info on post completion interview ( I inquired about info and will update upon a response)
  • 1 year program. You should be studying for the mcat now so you can take it early and apply this cycle 2017-2018 to avoid a glide year
EVMS (Allopathic) Assuming MS medical science

• $52,937 for both years
  • Norfolk,VA (excluding Ghent the cost of living is lower than va beach and plenty to do even if you commute)
  • 88% of the Class of 2015 has been accepted into either a MD or DO school. (One Pharmacy School Acceptance as well). 78% of the Class of 2016 has been accepted into either a MD or DO school. The site also says every student from 2014-2016 classes have been given an interview at EVMS.
  • 2 year program, includes MCAT preperation, Shadowing, and interview skills.
I asked them about the lower acceptance rate in 2016, and was told that she updates it every year for 5 years as students are accepted into med school.

notable differences. Two years vs one and the cost associated. (23k/yr vs 25k/yr x 2). Location. MD vs DO

just a bump on my question at the beginning of the post.

If I'm not incorrect, I think CHAP was just established and its first class just graduated. I am (or should I say was, as we have recently graduated) a 1-year medical master and we got to learn from the CHAP students since their program begins in the summer and they have a crash-course of anatomy. I don't know if they end up learning anatomy to the same depth as we do, but they learn it in a very short amount of time and become well-versed enough to help us with identifying structures. They focus less on conceptual material that is found in M1/MM1 anatomy, however. CHAP students are TAs and tutors (making $) for the med masters though.

It is my understanding that the program is very intensive in the beginning; I know that there are multiple dissections a week on a donor and these can consume many summer hours. Afterwards, you take some medical school classes with current M1s and med masters during the fall, but I don't think that's the case for the second semester.

Anyways, I know it is not the desire of some of the CHAP students to become a physician. I know at least one pre-PA one, and there are a few attempting to enter medical school but I don't know of any CHAP students that have been accepted into EVMS (yet, anyways). If you're looking for linkage into EVMS MD program, I would go for the 1 year med masters program. However, the program is changing every year and I would reach out and speak to the medical masters staff and director (they are super, super nice!) about any questions you have.

Reactions: 1 user