EVMS vs Quinnipiac Netter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Funnel Cakes

Reaction score
Incredibly grateful and fortunate enough to have two acceptances after a nightmarish reapplication, and I have to make a decision in just a few days. Both schools are similar in stats and COA is roughly the same

EVMS

Pros:

• P/F
  • Associated main teaching hospital and residencies
  • Dedicated ultrasound and standardized patient program from week 1
  • Close to the beach
  • Excellent match list with competitive specialities
  • Nearby friends established in the area
Cons:

• Lower faculty: student ratio
  • Have never lived in southern Virginia
  • Slightly higher cost of living

Quinnipiac Netter

Pros:

• P/F as well
  • Vibed with current students and faculty
  • Recorded lectures and new facilities
  • Higher faculty: student ratio and smaller class size
  • When I asked students about leave of absences for students who experienced family emergencies during the school year, they mentioned admin was really supportive and kind
Cons:

• 45 minute drive to MeSH and some clinical rotations
  • Less established/newer school
  • Fewer research opportunities

I grew up in the mountains of Cali where it used to snow in June lol, so I'm used to less-than-ideal weather. As a side note both schools went out of their way to make any LGBTQ applicants feel welcomed and have dedicated programs for outreach which is a big plus. Thoughts on how to make a decision or insights from current medical students?

Thanks much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

EVMS sounds like it would be an easier transition since you don’t have to drive and you have friends in nearby areas. It is in a good sized city while Netter is not. Having a teaching hospital also is a big help.

Reactions: 1 users
I think if you are interested in research EVMS is a better option and would be an easier transition

Reactions: 1 user