LSU NOLA vs Quinnipiac Frank Netter vs Morehouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressed_latinamed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone I have been lucky and blessed to count with three acceptances to MD schools. I am super indecisive and have to make a decision by April 30th! So thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this!

LSU-NOLA
Pros:​
  • Close to family
  • Early clinical exposure by volunteering at student run clinics available, one which focuses on Spanish speaking populations
  • Familiar with NOLA
  • Latino Health Scholars Program (unique imo)
  • MD/MPH option available
  • Diverse student body (even if it still is LA, at least they have LMSA, SNMA, etc)
  • Cheaper tuition (32K) - COA cheaper to (60K) -
  • Already connected with some students, alumni and Director of Diversity
Cons​
  • 2 years preclinical
  • Not much dedicated study time for Step 1
  • Not P/F (Honors, HP, P, F- however I heard from students that they are working to do P/F)
  • Quartile rankings
  • Most match in state (looking for out state for residency)
Frank Netter
  • Close to Yale and New England area
  • P/F
  • Good match rates with the few class it has
  • Small class
  • Scholarly concentration
  • Early clinical exposure with MESH
  • Scholarship (30K per year)
  • Bobcat free clinic
Cons​
  • Far from family
  • Suburban environment
  • Weather (i am an island girl)
  • Not very diverse surroundings or faculty
  • No affiliated hospital, which means a lot of driving arround CT
  • COA ($91,586 - 30K scholarship = $61,586)
  • Newer school (5 graduating classes)
  • NO MD/MPH option
Morehouse
  • Mission- community involvement
  • Diverse student body
  • ATL is not too far from home, urban environment
  • Grady hospital is amazing (i've heard)
  • Close to Emory and CDC
  • Good HBCU rep
  • MD/MPH option
  • Student Run Free Clinic
Cons​
  • No scholarships
  • Most expensive COA of options ($$$)
  • No LMSA organization
  • Unknow work with Spanish speaking populations
  • Not P/F (Honors, P, F)
I think I am leaning towards LSU more since I am familiar with the school and have some good connections in the city. However, I am not still 100% convinced, I feel I am missing something, or maybe I am just scared/overthinking it lol. For more context, I am currently waitlisted at Tulane, UCLA and USF Morsani. Also, I am interested in Neurology, PM&R or Derm (last one is a low-key interest), but I am really open to explore everything. Any advice is extremely valuable at this time and thank y'all for the attention!

Members don't see this ad.

LSU NOLA from the schools you currently have acceptances to. I don’t see a significant reason to leave the state.

Reactions: 1 user
I like that Frank Netter is P/F which would def make your life a lot easier, and you'd have more options for out of state residencies I think. It's very close to a lot of major cities, so I think the fact that it's in a rich suburb shouldn't be too big of a deal. i am from the northeast, but my friends who are from warmer places were able to adjust pretty quickly to northeast weather and came to really appreciate the different seasons. but i totally get the whole far from family thing – i myself am trying to figure out if I should go across the country for school :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I like that Frank Netter is P/F which would def make your life a lot easier, and you'd have more options for out of state residencies I think. It's very close to a lot of major cities, so I think the fact that it's in a rich suburb shouldn't be too big of a deal. i am from the northeast, but my friends who are from warmer places were able to adjust pretty quickly to northeast weather and came to really appreciate the different seasons. but i totally get the whole far from family thing – i myself am trying to figure out if I should go across the country for school :/
All these are part of my debate ughh! But, thank you so much for the insight! I hope you get clarity to make your decision as well! :)

• Care
Quinnipaic with its P/F is very enticing!

I go to netter so i have some thoughts there specifically

Frank Netter

Pros:
  • Close to Yale and New England area - not allowed to work with yale unless you win a lottery, ignore this if youre looking at yale as a place to do research
  • P/F - this is a plus
  • Good match rates with the few class it has - if youre looking at plastics/derm etc as "good matches" know that these people get there in spite of the school, not because of it
  • Scholarly concentration - doesn't matter
  • Early clinical exposure with MESH - doesnt matter (maybe im biased because i didnt like mesh)
  • Scholarship (30K per year) - great
  • Bobcat free clinic - i imagine most places have a free clinic you could get involved with
Cons
  • Far from family - HUGE negative if youre close to family. support is enormous in med school.
  • No affiliated hospital, which means a lot of driving arround CT - this is extremely annoying. My drives were from 30-50 mins for rotations, meaning i got up at 330 every day for my surgery rotation; also you REALLY want to have affiliated residency programs
  • COA ($91,586 - 30K scholarship = $61,586) - this COA seems too high, i dont think you need to spend 30k on living expenses each year

Does LSU have affiliated residency programs in your specialties of interest? If it does, its close to home, you want to stay there, and its the cheapest, it seems like the most no brainer choice of all of the above.

I go to netter so i have some thoughts there specifically

Frank Netter

Pros:
  • Close to Yale and New England area - not allowed to work with yale unless you win a lottery, ignore this if youre looking at yale as a place to do research
  • P/F - this is a plus
  • Good match rates with the few class it has - if youre looking at plastics/derm etc as "good matches" know that these people get there in spite of the school, not because of it
  • Scholarly concentration - doesn't matter
  • Early clinical exposure with MESH - doesnt matter (maybe im biased because i didnt like mesh)
  • Scholarship (30K per year) - great
  • Bobcat free clinic - i imagine most places have a free clinic you could get involved with
Cons
  • Far from family - HUGE negative if youre close to family. support is enormous in med school.
  • No affiliated hospital, which means a lot of driving arround CT - this is extremely annoying. My drives were from 30-50 mins for rotations, meaning i got up at 330 every day for my surgery rotation; also you REALLY want to have affiliated residency programs
  • COA ($91,586 - 30K scholarship = $61,586) - this COA seems too high, i dont think you need to spend 30k on living expenses each year

Does LSU have affiliated residency programs in your specialties of interest? If it does, its close to home, you want to stay there, and its the cheapest, it seems like the most no brainer choice of all of the above.
Thank you so much for breaking it down and bringing your perspective into this! This was really helpful! Yes, they do have residencies in the specialties I am interested in. would you mind explaining why having affiliated residency programs is a plus? Thank you

Thank you so much for breaking it down and bringing your perspective into this! This was really helpful! Yes, they do have residencies in the specialties I am interested in. would you mind explaining why having affiliated residency programs is a plus? Thank you

Happy to help! It probably matters less so if you're not interested in competitive specialties, but I think its really beneficial to have a home program where you can make yourself known and get exposure and do research etc. Obviously people from Netter match and do fine but honestly it feels a little weird to not have any residencies, I feel kind of like a rando applying whereas most other med students have programs that can sometimes be seen as their "back up"

A lot of doctors that I've encountered/shadowed/worked under told me the best advice they could give is to go to the cheapest medical school haha. LSU! But I'm biased 😄 The community is great, classmates are stellar! Would you go to any of your waitlisted schools??

Happy to help! It probably matters less so if you're not interested in competitive specialties, but I think its really beneficial to have a home program where you can make yourself known and get exposure and do research etc. Obviously people from Netter match and do fine but honestly it feels a little weird to not have any residencies, I feel kind of like a rando applying whereas most other med students have programs that can sometimes be seen as their "back up"
Ohhhh, I understand what you are trying to say! It helps to expand those connexions and get yourself out there! Again, thank you so much for the explanation, I will keep this in mind.

A lot of doctors that I've encountered/shadowed/worked under told me the best advice they could give is to go to the cheapest medical school haha. LSU! But I'm biased 😄 The community is great, classmates are stellar! Would you go to any of your waitlisted schools??
Yes, I have heard the same from my mentors and PCP as well 😭 Thank you for the feedback on LSU! I think I am very tempted by Tulane if an A comes, but I have to see who gives me a good offer.