EVMS Waitlist Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunnerMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently interviewed at EVMS and am convinced this is the perfect school for me! I LOVED it! I found out a few days ago, however, that I'm on the middle 1/3 of the waitlist--is this good/bad/a little of both? I've heard that most people from the top 1/3 are offered an acceptance, but what about the middle 1/3? Any idea on the odds of obtaining an acceptance from the middle 1/3? Thanks in advance! I look forward to hearing from you!

Members don't see this ad.

RunnerMD said:
Hi everyone!

I recently interviewed at EVMS and am convinced this is the perfect school for me! I LOVED it! I found out a few days ago, however, that I'm on the middle 1/3 of the waitlist--is this good/bad/a little of both? I've heard that most people from the top 1/3 are offered an acceptance, but what about the middle 1/3? Any idea on the odds of obtaining an acceptance from the middle 1/3? Thanks in advance! I look forward to hearing from you!

from what i understand you still have a chance if you're in the middle 1/3rd. though u'll probably need to be at the very top (of the middle 1/3rd).

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't tell you what your chances of being pulled off of the middle third are. From what I can gather on here, the top of the top 1/3 received invitations to the preview weekend, which suggests the school is assuming they'll take those people. This is based on the fact that a lot of people on SDN who were told they are in the top 1/3 didn't get invites to preview weekend. Some people have been pulled off of the waitlist already (at least 1 person claims to have been taken off on SDN). The general consensus is that generally the top 1/3 or so get in eventually.

I called the admissions office and pulled the following information out of the woman with whom I spoke. The waitlist is, of course, broken down into thirds. While applicants in each third aren't ranked, they are pulled off according to their interview score. This didn't jibe with what I'd heard about the "top of the top 1/3" above, so I pushed her a little more and she was able to tell me roughly how my interview score stood relative to the other people in my third.

I guess the moral of the story is that EVMS is a lot more open with their information and your file than are most people. If you have questions, it can't hurt to call them.

-dope-

i called the office a couple weeks ago to verify that i was still in the top 1/3 [note - did not receive the weekend invite, so i wanted to see if i had fallen] anyway, the woman i spoke to said that when they started pulling people, its not only based on interview score but also the demographics of who has declined their acceptance -- i.e. i would need a white, out of state, female to decline her spot to be offered one... has anyone else heard this? ive never heard of this system, but thats what the woman on the phone said...

She is basically refering to in-state vs. out-of-state waitlists. This is not uncommon

On that note, does one waitlist typically move faster? Out-of-state v. in-state? It'd make sense to me that the out-of-state would move quicker due to higher tuition costs, but at the same time, in-state students have a greater number of slots....any ideas?

I would think that the in-state waitlist would move faster because there are a few times more people to leave. I dunno though.

Ames980 said:
i called the office a couple weeks ago to verify that i was still in the top 1/3 [note - did not receive the weekend invite, so i wanted to see if i had fallen] anyway, the woman i spoke to said that when they started pulling people, its not only based on interview score but also the demographics of who has declined their acceptance -- i.e. i would need a white, out of state, female to decline her spot to be offered one... has anyone else heard this? ive never heard of this system, but thats what the woman on the phone said...

This is very similar to what the lady in the admissions office told me when I called a few weeks ago. She said that resident status and gender does play a part in who gets offered admission off the waitlist (i.e., it doesn't go in exact rank order). It seems that out of a class of 110, they are looking to fill 55 spots with Virginians and offer 45 to out-of-staters. I gathered that they try to keep the male/female ratio at about 50% as well. She did not mention anything about ethnicity, so I am not sure how much an applicant's race would play a part in their admissions process.

RunnerMD,

Do a search for NGemie and read under her post "miracles do happen." She is at EVMS now and is one of my favorite waitlist stories.

Good Luck!
McP

I second MCP on that one. "Just wanted to get my foot in the door", Classic. Nicole wasn't even the last one. Two student got in the Friday of white coat ceremony. This is the end of a three day orientation. One was doing research at Dartmouth in New Hampshire. He has turned out to be one of the better students in our class. It really doesn't matter when or how you get in, noone cares in the end.