Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misspiggy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if all EVMS interviews are group interviews with other applicants. How big are the groups usually? Just wondering. I read the interview feedback site but just wanted some clarification on "group interview." It seems like people generally had relaxed, laid back interviews here. Thanks for any insight! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, misspiggy, I interviewed at EVMS in September, and I must say that it was my hardest interview (I also interviewed at MCV and UVA). My interviews at MCV and UVA were extremely conversational and relaxed. They basically just asked about my background, my family, and really wanted to learn about me. At EVMS, however, the interview room had 4 people in it - an M.D., a Ph.D., a current medical student, and me. The 3 interviewers rotated around the table asking me questions. The questions were not conversational at all. They would go from questions about my background, to an ethics question, and then back to my background. The interview was quite stressful when we were discussing ethcis, b/c the questions did not have right and wrong answers. They just wanted to see if I knew something about ethical dilemmas that a doctor may face and also make sure that I had an opinion on the matter. However, every answer I gave the interviewer truned back around on me and I had to change my stand on the topic. It was annoying. Anyway, sorry I scared you. When I came out of the interview I didn't know if I had totally bombed it or what. The interviewers had poker faces throughout the entire 1 hour interview. But, they must have liked me because I got in! Good luck with your interview.

I interviewed at EVMS in October and I must have got lucky(?). I had two interviewers - a family practice physician and a 4th year medical student. Each had my file with comments and highlighting written all over it. Their questions were pretty standard (why medicine?why evms?tell me about yourself - strengths, weaknesses, what have your learned from...) but my ethical question was pretty difficult. It was about releasing information about a medical mistake from a year before that could have saved a now terminal cancer patient. They challenged my answer in several different ways. But ultimately it wasn't too bad. The only thing that made me nervous was that one interviewer was writting on his evaluation sheet throughout the entire interview. Just be yourself and think before you speak. Good luck - I really loved EVMS and the children's hospital is fabulous. I haven't heard back from then yet (it's been two weeks). I guess once I hear back from them--then I can really tell you whether this was a good interview or not.