2025-2026 East Virginia (EVMS)

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chilly_md

Full Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2025-2026 EVMS Secondary Prompts

2000 character limit for each response

1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.
2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician?
3. What do you think you will like least about being a physician?
4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to VHS-EVMS at ODU.

Next ones are optional, also 2000 character limit:
6. VHS-EVMS at ODU is dedicated to inclusivity and supporting patients and students from diverse backgrounds. Feel free to share your personal experience or ties to communities from diverse backgrounds. If you wish to respond, please explain in detail. Some examples include but are not limited to race/ethnicity, culture, LGBTQ+, differently-abled/disabled, etc.

7. If you would like to discuss how your individual background, perspective, or experience, including any societal or other barriers, have affected your life, through discrimination, inspiration or otherwise, feel free to share your experiences, obstacles overcome, and how this impacted your education and road to applying to medical school.


Good luck to all applying!

Interview Feedback:

 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@chilly_md

+1 OOS Secondary

2000 character limit for each response
1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.
2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician?
3. What do you think you will like least about being a physician?
4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to VHS-EVMS at ODU.

Next ones are optional, also 2000 character limit:
6. VHS-EVMS at ODU is dedicated to inclusivity and supporting patients and students from diverse backgrounds. Feel free to share your personal experience or ties to communities from diverse backgrounds. If you wish to respond, please explain in detail. Some examples include but are not limited to race/ethnicity, culture, LGBTQ+, differently-abled/disabled, etc.
7. If you would like to discuss how your individual background, perspective, or experience, including any societal or other barriers, have affected your life, through discrimination, inspiration or otherwise, feel free to share your experiences, obstacles overcome, and how this impacted your education and road to applying to medical school.
 
Hi! I am having the same problem - @TK1121 @ninstonbiller were either of you able to resolve this? I am freaking out just a teensy bit haha! I'm wondering if it's appropriate to call the school. Thank you.
Double check if you entered a response to the LOR requirement for if you participated in a graduate program. I was not able to submit at first because I did not notice it was mandatory and not optional.
 
Ah I see! I answered both 🙁 thank you though!!
I was able to submit once I said N/A for the letter writers and graduate letter (even though I said yes to a packet, looks like the letter writer 1, 2, 3 space is mandatory / same with graduate letter) Did you enter something in the space or just select no?
 
Hi! I am having the same problem - @TK1121 @ninstonbiller were either of you able to resolve this? I am freaking out just a teensy bit haha! I'm wondering if it's appropriate to call the school. Thank you.
Hey! I just made sure EVERYHTING was filled out like if u reread the email they sent with the invite link it says everything needs to be answered even with a n/a
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! I just made sure EVERYHTING was filled out like if u reread the email they sent with the invite link it says everything needs to be answered even with a n/a
Yeahhh for some reason I filled everything out and still couldn't submit. What ended up working was putting each letter writer's name as "N/A" even though that section is marked as optional for me. Not sure why it came up as optional but hey at least I can submit. Thank you so much!!!
 
I was able to submit once I said N/A for the letter writers and graduate letter (even though I said yes to a packet, looks like the letter writer 1, 2, 3 space is mandatory / same with graduate letter) Did you enter something in the space or just select no?
Yes I had to add N/A for the letter writers and that fixed it!!! thank you!!
 
Does anyone know if the lab prerequisites need to be a full year also? I only have one semester of lab for one of the subjects because that's what was offered at my school, and was wondering if this is fine or not
 
Why is the LOR requirement for this school so strict… I spent so much time on their secondary essays just to realize I don’t meet their LOR requirement 🙁
 
Yes Submitted on 7/12 received completed email 7/14
Dear First Name:

We have received all the materials required to complete your application. If you are selected for a virtual interview, you will be contacted via email with further instructions.

Interviews are conducted from September through the end of March.

Please note:
We do not send routine status updates. You will only be notified if you are invited to interview or once the admissions cycle concludes after April.

You are welcome to send updates to your grades or experiences to [email protected]. Be sure to include your AMCAS ID number with all correspondence.

Thank you for applying to Macon & Joan Brock Eastern Virginia Medical School at Old Dominion University. We wish you the very best in this application cycle.

Warm regards,

Admissions and Enrollment Team
Macon & Joan Brock Virginia Health Sciences
Eastern Virginia Medical School at Old Dominion University
 
I submitted last Monday, but I still have not gotten any verification/confirmation email. Is this the case for anyone else?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody else receive this email titled “Prerequisite Course Discrepancies”? Can’t tell if it was a blast email or specifically for me.

“As stated in the Macon & Joan Brock Virginia Health Sciences Eastern Virginia Medical School at Old Dominion University supplemental application, applicants are required to complete the following prerequisite coursework to be eligible for admission:

· Biology – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· General Chemistry – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· Physics – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· Organic Chemistry – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

Note on Biochemistry Substitution:

Biochemistry may be used in place of one semester of Organic Chemistry, but only if the biochemistry course includes a lab component. A Biochemistry course without a lab will not fulfill the full requirement.

Please also note that Research and/or Independent Study courses do not fulfill prerequisite course requirements.”
 
Anybody else receive this email titled “Prerequisite Course Discrepancies”? Can’t tell if it was a blast email or specifically for me.

“As stated in the Macon & Joan Brock Virginia Health Sciences Eastern Virginia Medical School at Old Dominion University supplemental application, applicants are required to complete the following prerequisite coursework to be eligible for admission:

· Biology – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· General Chemistry – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· Physics – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· Organic Chemistry – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

Note on Biochemistry Substitution:

Biochemistry may be used in place of one semester of Organic Chemistry, but only if the biochemistry course includes a lab component. A Biochemistry course without a lab will not fulfill the full requirement.

Please also note that Research and/or Independent Study courses do not fulfill prerequisite course requirements.”
I did not get this email.
 
Anybody else receive this email titled “Prerequisite Course Discrepancies”? Can’t tell if it was a blast email or specifically for me.

“As stated in the Macon & Joan Brock Virginia Health Sciences Eastern Virginia Medical School at Old Dominion University supplemental application, applicants are required to complete the following prerequisite coursework to be eligible for admission:

· Biology – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· General Chemistry – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· Physics – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· Organic Chemistry – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

Note on Biochemistry Substitution:

Biochemistry may be used in place of one semester of Organic Chemistry, but only if the biochemistry course includes a lab component. A Biochemistry course without a lab will not fulfill the full requirement.

Please also note that Research and/or Independent Study courses do not fulfill prerequisite course requirements.”
I got this email, am also confused because it doesn't say that I've made any specific mistake on the application.
 
Anybody else receive this email titled “Prerequisite Course Discrepancies”? Can’t tell if it was a blast email or specifically for me.

“As stated in the Macon & Joan Brock Virginia Health Sciences Eastern Virginia Medical School at Old Dominion University supplemental application, applicants are required to complete the following prerequisite coursework to be eligible for admission:

· Biology – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· General Chemistry – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· Physics – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

· Organic Chemistry – 2 semesters (or 3 quarters), including lecture and lab

Note on Biochemistry Substitution:

Biochemistry may be used in place of one semester of Organic Chemistry, but only if the biochemistry course includes a lab component. A Biochemistry course without a lab will not fulfill the full requirement.

Please also note that Research and/or Independent Study courses do not fulfill prerequisite course requirements.”
Just to follow up on this.

I emailed them this: Thank you for reaching out. My biochemistry course did not include a lab component. Would it be acceptable to take a biochemistry laboratory course prior to matriculation (either this upcoming Fall 2025 or Spring 2026)? Or will I not be considered unless I have completed the requirement?

And they responded with this:
Yes, you may take a biochemistry lab course before August 1, 2026. Please send us the institution, course title & number in order to verify it and move you forward for review.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dang, got verified beginning of june and haven't received a secondary... anyone in the same boat? should i just give up on this school
I would reach out to see what's holding up the process. Could be a mistake or maybe there is a requirement you didn't meet.
 
I sent my secondary two weeks ago today, 7/21, and I called up the admission office today since I still have not received any verification/confirmation. They were really nice but said they couldn't say much. I gave them my AMCAS ID, and they confirmed that they received my application and to just be patient with them. They also said they will contact me directly if I am missing any requirements or if they need additional information. So I guess that eases my nerves.
 
Got verified middle of July and still haven't received a secondary or confirmation that they received my application. Does it take time for them to send out secondaries?