Evolution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premed:)

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I didn't know where to post this, so I'll just post it here.

I'm sure you all know about evolution and how man has evolved and diverged from a common ancestor that we shared with chimps. My question is, how many of you take this as 100% fact? I myself have a hard time believing that we used to swim in water, slither like a lizard, and walk on all fours and then all of a sudden, (millions of years) poof! We develop critical thinking skills, language skills that even 2 year olds and younger can pick up. I find that amazing how infants can pick up basic grammar skills like confusing "he swam" and he "swimmed" but still being able to use the past tense of verbs without even being taught the word swimmed.

To make this question more relevant to where I'm posting, what is the correlation between people who believe in evolution to people who are accepted into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your argument? That you do not understand how the language centers of the brain developed?

Reread the post lol...

Your post is all over the place and lacks a coherent structure or thesis. You seem to dwell most on the human ability to acquire spoken language, but quickly switch to another topic.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm 100% sure this is a troll post but I'll bite.

The past tense of "to swim" is swam. The past participle is "swum". There is no "he swimmed".

Edit: jk misread your post and I see what you mean about making up the past tense for verbs they have not learned. Very simple linguistic explanation. They know at least one past tense. They could have picked it up in any form of speech. Their brain uses that evidence to build a framework that then creates new ideas a la "swimmed" even though they might be incorrect. Once she learns that the correct past tense is "swam" that evidence reorganizes the existing framework in the child's mind and now that framework will be used to make sense of the world in the future until it is further revised.

It's an interesting mechanism and the mechanism I just described is only a theory, mostly based on some work by psychologists and a few neuroscientists but interesting nonetheless.

Evolution is fine with that though. A lot can happen in a sudden "poof" if that poof is hundreds of millions of years.

Last edited:
I'm impressed you can navigate the interwebs

Reactions: 1 user
OK this thread completely backfired. I only wanted to know how many of you took evolution as 100% fact... Not a troll I promise.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK this thread completely backfired. I only wanted to know how many of you took evolution as 100% fact... Not a troll I promise.

And your reasoning if you take evolution as 100% fact or don't

To answer the actual question, yes, I believe in evolution. I'm not going to say it's 100% fact, but I will say I'm like 99.99% sure based on the evidence. Just to make room for that tiny possibility of like... being in the Matrix or some other metaphysical solipsistic nonsense.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm 100% sure this is a troll post but I'll bite.

The past tense of "to swim" is swam. The past participle is "swum". There is no "he swimmed".

Edit: jk misread your post and I see what you mean about making up the past tense for verbs they have not learned. Very simple linguistic explanation. They know at least one past tense. They could have picked it up in any form of speech. Their brain uses that evidence to build a framework that then creates new ideas a la "swimmed" even though they might be incorrect. Once she learns that the correct past tense is "swam" that evidence reorganizes the existing framework in the child's mind and now that framework will be used to make sense of the world in the future until it is further revised.

It's an interesting mechanism and the mechanism I just described is only a theory, mostly based on some work by psychologists and a few neuroscientists but interesting nonetheless.

Evolution is fine with that though. A lot can happen in a sudden "poof" if that poof is hundreds of millions of years.

Thanks for the input :)

Its not 100% fact... its 99.9999% fact. Making an A in biology 1 does not mean anything about your comprehension of evolution. You seem to lack a basic understanding, and I can't work with that. I don't know, maybe some other brave soul here can..."All of a sudden"- ha!

And your reasoning if you take evolution as 100% fact or don't

Yes.

Because all available fossil and biochemical evidence supports the theory, while none disputes it.

Reactions: 3 users
Its not 100% fact... its 99.9999% fact. Making an A in biology 1 does not mean anything about your comprehension of evolution. You seem to lack a basic understanding, and I can't work with that. I don't know, maybe some other brave soul here can..."All of a sudden"- ha!

You seem to lack the basic comprehension of the question itself... what makes you think that I lack the understanding of evolution? Because I don't take it as fact?

Pirates_914b4c_2434400.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Ben Carson, a world renowned NEUROSURGEON denounced evolution saying “complexity of the human brain” as proof that evolution is a myth: “Somebody says that came from a slime pit full of promiscuous biochemicals? I don’t think so.”

The world is roughly six thousand years old, and was created by the Almighty in a period of six days. Humans were created in the divine image of our Creator.

It is known.

53532811.jpg

The world is roughly six thousand years old, and was created by the Almighty in a period of six days. Humans were created in the divine image of our Creator.

It is known.

53532811.jpg

Ha! Im not a christian so I dont believe the world 6000 years old, I believe the universe is over 13B years old

An argument from incredulity is not a good argument.

Ben Carson, a world renowned NEUROSURGEON denounced evolution saying “complexity of the human brain” as proof that evolution is a myth: “Somebody says that came from a slime pit full of promiscuous biochemicals? I don’t think so.”

Sometimes even world-renowned neurosurgeons are wrong.

Reactions: 3 users
Inb4 OP makes claim that people who believe in evolutionary theory are closed minded because they don't consider "competing theories".

proof that evolution is a myth: “Somebody says that came from a slime pit full of promiscuous biochemicals? I don’t think so.”
Ha! Im not a christian so I dont believe the world 6000 years old, I believe the universe is over 13B years old
But you believe that the universe came from a cosmological slime pit full of promiscuous dark matter? I don't think so. :D

To qualify, I'm actually voting for Carson. Doesn't mean he's Jesus

He also spouted off some nonsense about too many vaccinations being administered too closely together. Either he doesn't understand how biology works, or he's pandering to his base.

As a bio major, you've been presented with the arguments supporting the theory of evolution, so you already know why people believe in evolution. Do you want to refute any of these arguments, or are you literally just asking me to repeat things you've already been told?

As far as your linguistics argument goes, I believe that there is a genetic defect that renders the individual incapable of logically converting verbs between past and present tense. Sufferers of this disorder have to memorize the tenses of every verb as if they are completely unrelated words. If they learned the word "want" but had never learned the word "wanted," they would have no idea what you were talking about when you told them that you had "wanted" something. To them, "wanted" would just be an unknown word rather than the obvious past tense of the known word "want." The fact that a genetic defect can produce such an effect is proof that language is heritable and thus subject to natural selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.