Quantcast

Ex-teacher turned pre-med, second bachelor's- am I competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebaconatrix

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
So I got my first degree, a BA in History from George Washington University (a pretty reputable school) with an overall GPA of 3.41 and a science gpa of 3.7 (only 3 classes). Had no idea what I wanted to do with my life other than take a break from school while debating the pro's and many cons of doing law school or a MPP etc.
I took maxed courseloads through UG1 (my time at GWU) every semester and worked 20 hours a week as an RA the whole time. I started an organization, was on boards for 2 others, and did competitive ballroom dancing. Decided to graduate in 3 years due to the cost of living in DC when I was accepted into Teach for America, and moved to San Antonio.

Teaching changed my entire perspective and inspired my switch into healthcare. However I had virtually none of my prerequisites completed for med school and with the Americorps award I decided to pursue my post-bac for premed. I'm more than halfway done with my coursework now, with a 3.79 Postbac (PB) GPA (all science) with a full-time science courseload. If I play my cards right I will end up with a 3.85-3.9 postbac GPA. I am on track to get my second bachelor's in Biochem since it only adds one semester, and will have a committee letter to support me as well as excellent science faculty LOR.

I am currently working at the only level 1 trauma center ER in south texas as an ER tech, am EMT, EKG, and ACLS certified (will probably get PALS too but later). I will be shadowing and adding volunteering in whatever spare hours I can find. I also have been teaching piano lessons and TAing Calculus-physics as well as Bio 1 so have managed this post-bac GPA while working 36 hours a week.

I plan on studying for the MCAT for the next 8 months and take it in March 2017, apply to Med schools (Hopefully all in Texas) summer of 2017. I don't really know anyone in my situation to compare to or whether my post-bac will bring me up enough (when I combined my postbac and my UG1 it took my overall to a 3.56).

Thoughts? Anything I should add or make sure I do?

Last edited:

SpoiledMilk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak to your qualifications. Others more knowledgeable can do so. But anonymity is prudent on forums like this. If that is your real picture, it is best to replace it with something more discreet.

Reactions: 1 user

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
You're lucky to be a Texas resident. With your postbac GPA and experiences, I'd bet any score above 509 will give you a really good shot at med school

thebaconatrix

Reaction score
I cannot speak to your qualifications. Others more knowledgeable can do so. But anonymity is prudent on forums like this. If that is your real picture, it is best to replace it with something more discreet.
Sorry- I didn't realize if I signed in with Facebook it would pull that. It's changed, thanks!