Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I got my first degree, a BA in History from George Washington University (a pretty reputable school) with an overall GPA of 3.41 and a science gpa of 3.7 (only 3 classes). Had no idea what I wanted to do with my life other than take a break from school while debating the pro's and many cons of doing law school or a MPP etc.
I took maxed courseloads through UG1 (my time at GWU) every semester and worked 20 hours a week as an RA the whole time. I started an organization, was on boards for 2 others, and did competitive ballroom dancing. Decided to graduate in 3 years due to the cost of living in DC when I was accepted into Teach for America, and moved to San Antonio.
Teaching changed my entire perspective and inspired my switch into healthcare. However I had virtually none of my prerequisites completed for med school and with the Americorps award I decided to pursue my post-bac for premed. I'm more than halfway done with my coursework now, with a 3.79 Postbac (PB) GPA (all science) with a full-time science courseload. If I play my cards right I will end up with a 3.85-3.9 postbac GPA. I am on track to get my second bachelor's in Biochem since it only adds one semester, and will have a committee letter to support me as well as excellent science faculty LOR.
I am currently working at the only level 1 trauma center ER in south texas as an ER tech, am EMT, EKG, and ACLS certified (will probably get PALS too but later). I will be shadowing and adding volunteering in whatever spare hours I can find. I also have been teaching piano lessons and TAing Calculus-physics as well as Bio 1 so have managed this post-bac GPA while working 36 hours a week.
I plan on studying for the MCAT for the next 8 months and take it in March 2017, apply to Med schools (Hopefully all in Texas) summer of 2017. I don't really know anyone in my situation to compare to or whether my post-bac will bring me up enough (when I combined my postbac and my UG1 it took my overall to a 3.56).
Thoughts? Anything I should add or make sure I do?
I took maxed courseloads through UG1 (my time at GWU) every semester and worked 20 hours a week as an RA the whole time. I started an organization, was on boards for 2 others, and did competitive ballroom dancing. Decided to graduate in 3 years due to the cost of living in DC when I was accepted into Teach for America, and moved to San Antonio.
Teaching changed my entire perspective and inspired my switch into healthcare. However I had virtually none of my prerequisites completed for med school and with the Americorps award I decided to pursue my post-bac for premed. I'm more than halfway done with my coursework now, with a 3.79 Postbac (PB) GPA (all science) with a full-time science courseload. If I play my cards right I will end up with a 3.85-3.9 postbac GPA. I am on track to get my second bachelor's in Biochem since it only adds one semester, and will have a committee letter to support me as well as excellent science faculty LOR.
I am currently working at the only level 1 trauma center ER in south texas as an ER tech, am EMT, EKG, and ACLS certified (will probably get PALS too but later). I will be shadowing and adding volunteering in whatever spare hours I can find. I also have been teaching piano lessons and TAing Calculus-physics as well as Bio 1 so have managed this post-bac GPA while working 36 hours a week.
I plan on studying for the MCAT for the next 8 months and take it in March 2017, apply to Med schools (Hopefully all in Texas) summer of 2017. I don't really know anyone in my situation to compare to or whether my post-bac will bring me up enough (when I combined my postbac and my UG1 it took my overall to a 3.56).
Thoughts? Anything I should add or make sure I do?
Last edited: