Exam experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cristagali

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took test on Sept. 23, got scores today. Sorry folks..I'm human 198/81!

I'm nearly 40 y/o , US IMG in European school. Married, wife (just completed Phd) two kids, one 12 weeks old!!! Studied two months March April, stopped for finals, then studied two more months and took exam. European schools are 6 years. I had anatomy 5 years ago, biochem 4, patho 2, micro 2, pharm 1 year ago. I really had a lot of cobwebs to dust off!!! Anyway, what advice do you want from an 81'r?? KEEP resources LIMITED!! I had way too many books per subject and really diluted myself. Pick a source and stick with it, whether Kaplan, BRS, high yield, whatever, just keep your sources minimal. Do shi# load of questions. The only "Shelf exam" i ever took was when my wife asked me to make a list of food on the shelf before we went to Tesco!! I envy the USMG. two years condensed courses and shelf exams to hammer it in..thats the way to go!!! Sources: FA FA FA!! great book. poorly organized, authors are now complacent, but still the best Step 1 review out there!! I should have reviewed more. Missed 8-10 quests right out of FA, maybe more.

Anatomy-FA+HY Neuro
BS- nothing can prepare you for those &^%$ question!! FA is enough for stats.
Micro-FA + immuno review
Patho FA+BRS, Robbins, etc. just pick ONE!!!
Pharm FA enough
physio, FA NOt enough, but my test wasn't so bad, lots of arrow questions.
Question sources: Q-bank, Robbins quest. book, NMS, Blueprints, BSS
BSS and NMS, don;t follow format, but great practice.
Qbank avg 67%
NBME A-440 (10 days before) B-430 (5 days before) (correlation right on)

Did I want a little higher??of course, but I'm happy with the score. I meet the interview threshold at a number of schools and if I get an interview...I'll get the job!! Anyway, thanks to a number of people who gave advice. My step 2 strategy will be different. Good luck to all :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on passing Step 1! That's great news! One step closer to being a doctor!

Nice job, I knew you'd do well! I recall our many PM's back and forth!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone. My post is aimed for the non-traditional student and /or IMG. Hopefully it will be helpful for them. As for USMG, you guys really shouldn't make less than 90 on that exam. It's not so bad. Good luck. :D

I am happy to have contributed, in a small, part to the distribution of scores for the Step 1. However, I would prefer to be a little further up the curve the next time I open that pretty little envelope from my friends at ECFMG! And Idio, thanks for your advice on Step 1. :thumbup:

Cristagali said:
I am happy to have contributed, in a small, part to the distribution of scores for the Step 1. However, I would prefer to be a little further up the curve the next time I open that pretty little envelope from my friends at ECFMG! And Idio, thanks for your advice on Step 1. :thumbup:

I really like your positive attitude Cristagali. Good job on your exam. I am an IMG too and i know how difficult it is to even committ yourself to take the exam. I keep studying for it, feeling unprepared and postponing it. Something always comes in the way, like clinical rotations, and then i am back at square one starting to study all over again. Frustrating. So you should be very proud of yourself considering you are married with children, that you have put this first step behind you!!!! Congrats. :thumbup:

If you noticed, I did postpone once and restarted my studies later. But you really need to block 4-6 weeks and hit the material hard. Sounds like you've already done your reading, so do FA and questions, questions, questions and FA and questions. After 3-4 weeks of that, Do a NBME exam and if you're over 400, you have a very, very good chance of passing. I'm sure you want better, but it should reduce your anxiety levels come test day. To be honest, I thought my score would be a little higher. I finished every block with 10 minutes to spare and felt pretty good, but the NBME doesn't lie!!! It was right on the money. Good luck! :thumbup:

Cristagali said:
Thanks everyone. My post is aimed for the non-traditional student and /or IMG. Hopefully it will be helpful for them. As for USMG, you guys really shouldn't make less than 90 on that exam. It's not so bad. Good luck. :D

Congrats, sounds like you had alot on your plate. take it easy and enjoy