exam krackers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jchopra85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i've been studyin with TPR for the last couple months... a friend of mine has the exam krackers books..i was wondering how are they? do they cover all the main things you need to know for the mcat? i was thinking of using them for review...

thanks for the input..!

Members don't see this ad.

jchopra85 said:
hey guys, i've been studyin with TPR for the last couple months... a friend of mine has the exam krackers books..i was wondering how are they? do they cover all the main things you need to know for the mcat? i was thinking of using them for review...

thanks for the input..!

Woudn't asking your friend be more ideal?

Zuras said:
Woudn't asking your friend be more ideal?

Hehee Zuras, at least answer him if u wanna reply.

But yeah, I think EK books are top notch. I would even suggest using it as main study source even if they're thin with less materials compared to other companies'. You're better off mastering the info in EK because the MCAT really tests for reading comprehension and major/minor concepts with exceptions. That i think is more than sufficient for the MCAT. Easier said than done though , :p Because honestly I can find almost find the answer to questions from either the passage itself, or in EK. So don't think EK books are too thin and cover too little.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am using Ek books and they are great, the only problem that you might encouter is having trouble understanding a concept since they do not provide too many examples. I would say use EK, for everything u dont understand review it from a textbook. That should be more than sufficient. I think the biggest thing that most ppl overlook is the importance of doing practice q's, which 1001 series are excellent for

i used exam krackers almost exclusively. i would check out some kaplan stuff if i wanted more detail, but that was very rarely. as i havent taken bio since high school (6 years ago), i taught myself the material from the ek bio book. im scoring 10 and 11 (1 point away from 12 on 5r today) on bio part of aamc tests and i owe most of that to the simplicity and comprehensiveness of ek

i agree with everything thats been said in this thread....problem is, anal pre-meds like myself still feel compelled to learn all the details from TPR and such....EK is high yield for those who already have a good grasp of things...

i think the 1001 series is tough and unrealistic, esp for Physics because theres too much calculations...i liked the BIO and Verbal.....

i would learn everything using TPR or Kaplan...then go use EK....in fact i think i will go through the EK books next wk briefly and touch up on concepts here and there....

So,do you guys reccomend only the 1001 series or even the review books?

Also, if you already have the audio osmosis, do you still need the review books?

Do the review books talk about stratergies to approach the respective sections?

thanks

Using EK only would be a terrible idea IMO. Use it as a review, its very complete as a refresher. However for more in depth understanding use Kaplan or TPR. You'll have a very hard time understanding more in depth concepts if you simply use EK by itself.

Sundarban1 said:
Using EK only would be a terrible idea IMO. Use it as a review, its very complete as a refresher. However for more in depth understanding use Kaplan or TPR. You'll have a very hard time understanding more in depth concepts if you simply use EK by itself.

do you guys think listening to audio osmosis would be good enough for a review? or should we also look over some 1001 bio/phys/orgo practice materials? i've been sticking to tpr practice materials so far and other than orgo, it's going well.

Sundarban1 said:

OMG! I just spent $30o buying examkrackers, 1001 series for all subjects, and mini mcat book and now I hear that their are not that good. Should I return them? They are unopened and if they are not good review, then their is no point opening them. Before I bought the series I heard all these good things about the books and now I hear some negative things regarding the extent of the review. I am taking it in April and dont want to waste time deciding which books are good and which are not. Which books should I get?

You should definitely keep them, some people may not like them, but they really are very complete and insightful for the most part. In fact, I bet if I had these books during physics in undergrad, I would've aced my classes. The genetics chapter is not that thorough, so I'd use something else for that. Otherwise, the books are awesome, 1001 are excellent too, some questions are excessive, but they really help you to think in different ways and get more practice.

I agree. EK is very good, especially for a non-science major like me. If I'd had their review book during my undergrad physics class I wouldn't have struggled so much. Bio and verbal 1001/101 are especially good as well.

I also agree. I had already ordered the EK books when i took chem I & II and found EK did a MUCH better job of explaining concepts than either my prof or the book. I aced the 2 classes because of EK.

I am using it alone as study material for the MCAT. If you have too many sets of books you will never get all the way through one. Pick one method and stick with it.