Exam score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilgreenolive

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know about anybody else but I just got my MCAT score and I'm not very pleased with myself. I know standardized test scores aren't an accurate representation of an individual as a whole but it really makes me question my intellectual ability among other things...

Members don't see this ad.

How and how long did you study? Did you do significantly worse than your practice tests?

The only thing you can really do at this point is to find out what went wrong and do your best to correct it. It's hard but it's one bump in the road. Take your time, refocus, and start getting ready for a retake. Schools aren't going anywhere.

I don't know about anybody else but I just got my MCAT score and I'm not very pleased with myself. I know standardized test scores aren't an accurate representation of an individual as a whole but it really makes me question my intellectual ability among other things...

There is always dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
How and how long did you study? Did you do significantly worse than your practice tests?

The only thing you can really do at this point is to find out what went wrong and do your best to correct it. It's hard but it's one bump in the road. Take your time, refocus, and start getting ready for a retake. Schools aren't going anywhere.

I studied for 10 weeks, about 6-10 hours 5-6 days a week. I used Princeton Review as my study tools and did the online only study prep. I can't afford to pay for the in class stuff.

And you're totally right, they aren't going anywhere and I can always try again. I think I am going to take it again the spring. I didn't do very well on the CARS and psych/soc sections. CARS has always been a difficult section for me and there are so many theories with psyche, I didn't do a great job at memorizing and learning those.

I studied for 10 weeks, about 6-10 hours 5-6 days a week. I used Princeton Review as my study tools and did the online only study prep. I can't afford to pay for the in class stuff.

And you're totally right, they aren't going anywhere and I can always try again. I think I am going to take it again the spring. I didn't do very well on the CARS and psych/soc sections. CARS has always been a difficult section for me and there are so many theories with psyche, I didn't do a great job at memorizing and learning those.

Did you take any practice tests?

How bad are we talking here? Less than 500? Did you do everything that AAMC has to offer and thoroughly review each and every question, even the ones you got right? I would not recommend a course as they are super over priced, but you 100% have to buy everything that AAMC has to offer as this is as close to the real deal as you can get. Also, Khan academy is a great resource for pretty much every subject, and its free.

As for Dental school, eehhh I'm not interested in that field of work.

There is no psych on the DAT.

Everyone says that, but it's a pretty sweet lifestyle. With no residency required, ur out in 4 years.

There is also optometry school. No CARS section on the OAT.

How bad are we talking here? Less than 500? Did you do everything that AAMC has to offer and thoroughly review each and every question, even the ones you got right? I would not recommend a course as they are super over priced, but you 100% have to buy everything that AAMC has to offer as this is as close to the real deal as you can get. Also, Khan academy is a great resource for pretty much every subject, and its free.

I got 497, it's not horrible I suppose but I was really hoping I got 505 or 510. I didn't use anything from AAMC but I always went over the questions I got incorrect on my practice exams and other prep materials. If I take the test again I'm going to utilize AAMC more, there's just so much stuff out there and I only had 10 weeks it was a bit overwhelming to try and use more resources.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got 497, it's not horrible I suppose but I was really hoping I got 505 or 510. I didn't use anything from AAMC but I always went over the questions I got incorrect on my practice exams and other prep materials. If I take the test again I'm going to utilize AAMC more, there's just so much stuff out there and I only had 10 weeks it was a bit overwhelming to try and use more resources.
AAMC stuff is more important than any other practice material you can use. If you retake, I'd say focus on this. What was your breakdown if you don't mind me asking?

AAMC stuff is more important than any other practice material you can use. If you retake, I'd say focus on this. What was your breakdown if you don't mind me asking?

My breakdown:

Chemical and Physical foundations- 125 (confidence band 124-126)
Critical Reading and Analysis- 123 (confidence band 122-124)
Biological and Biochemical- 126 (confidence band 125-127)
Psychology and Sociology- 123 (confidence band 122-124)

My score is 497 but the c band is 495-499.

My breakdown:

You can get into low tiered DO schools and podiatry schools with those scores.

My breakdown:

I was doing about the same on CARS and P/S when I first started studying. I watched every psych soc video on Khan academy while taking notes which helped a ton. I also used Anki which is basically an flashcard app which I would recommend to everyone. For CARS I used everything through AAMC and also used the Princeton review hyper learning.

I think not touching any of the AAMC material was a very big mistake. They're the most trusted resources to give you an actual feel of what the test will be like as well as a decent score prediction. Definitely focus on these your second time around.

Reactions: 1 users
I was doing about the same on CARS and P/S when I first started studying. I watched every psych soc video on Khan academy while taking notes which helped a ton. I also used Anki which is basically an flashcard app which I would recommend to everyone. For CARS I used everything through AAMC and also used the Princeton review hyper learning.

Oh okay awesome, thank you for all the feedback, I'll definitely be using AAMC the second time around although it'd be nice to get in this time and not have to take it again. Have you already applied?

Oh okay awesome, thank you for all the feedback, I'll definitely be using AAMC the second time around although it'd be nice to get in this time and not have to take it again. Have you already applied?
No problem! Good luck with your cycle or your retake! I submitted around early August so I'm just waiting now haha

You can get into low tiered DO schools and podiatry schools with those scores.

I've thought about DO but I haven't really looked into all that much, I'm not a huge fan of the manual manipulation aspect of it but maybe it's not as scary or uncomfortable as I think it is.

I've thought about DO but I haven't really looked into all that much, I'm not a huge fan of the manual manipulation aspect of it but maybe it's not as scary or uncomfortable as I think it is.

If you are not gun ho on DO, retake, get a 509 or whatever you have to get, and go to MD school then

Exciting and nerve racking haha. I applied to a few DO schools and then Jeff, MCW, my state schools, EVMS, OUWB, RF, temple, and loyola. Pretty much shotgun approach haha.

Yeah I imagine it is. My blood pressure goes up just thinking about hitting the submit button on my AMCAS application packet. Shotgun is good! I've been told casting your net wide is the best approach. I have 12 schools on my list and they're spread out all over the US.