ExamKrackers 1001 O-Chem Questions.... Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organichemistry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on using the ExamKrackers 1001 O-Chem questions as my primary means of studying for the Organic part of the DAT. My question to those who have taken the test... is that enough? I've heard the organic section on the real DAT isn't all that bad... and I don't want to waste literally hundreds of hours memorizing every mechanism that I learned in my Org Chem classes.

I plan on doing all the questions in the book, reviewing all the answers, and in areas I am weak or reactions I am unsure of, consulting my organic chemistry notes from sophomore year and the kaplan blue book.

Will this be enough? My goal is about a 20-21.

Members don't see this ad.

organichemistry said:
I'm planning on using the ExamKrackers 1001 O-Chem questions as my primary means of studying for the Organic part of the DAT. My question to those who have taken the test... is that enough? I've heard the organic section on the real DAT isn't all that bad... and I don't want to waste literally hundreds of hours memorizing every mechanism that I learned in my Org Chem classes.

I plan on doing all the questions in the book, reviewing all the answers, and in areas I am weak or reactions I am unsure of, consulting my organic chemistry notes from sophomore year and the kaplan blue book.

Will this be enough? My goal is about a 20-21.

I don't know anything about EK's Ochem questions, but youre absolutely right about Ochem on the real DAT not being bad. Its actually really easy. You don't need to know mechanisms, all you need is: memorize all reactions, acid/base strengths, nucleophile strengths, hybridization, spectroscopy and you'll break a 20. If you want a really high score then you should do less memorizing and more understanding, but for the sake of breaking a 20 memorizing is enough.

i got a C in orgo 1, D in orgo 2. I studied kaplan orgo for about 2-3 days the week before the test and ended up w/ a 21...DAT orgo is a joke. i wouldn't waste your time going outside of kaplan, even that was too in depth.

bbbbbbb said:
i got a C in orgo 1, D in orgo 2. I studied kaplan orgo for about 2-3 days the week before the test and ended up w/ a 21...DAT orgo is a joke. i wouldn't waste your time going outside of kaplan, even that was too in depth.

hmmm. if it is THAT easy, it seems i could really gun for it and maybe get a 25 on it. once you get to 21-22, it only takes a couple of questions to REALLY bring up that score. i figure it would take less effort to gun for 28 or 29 correct answers on organic chem than for 37 or 38 answers on biology.

basically, seems like it would be easier for me to make a 18 or 19 on bio and then a 25 on organic than to make a 21 or 22 in both :)