Examkrackers Audio Osmosis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into the examkrackers audio osmosis, it seems like a great way for me to study since I am low on cash flow and busy with kids. These seem very versatile because I could pop them in at any time. I don't live anywhere that I can do the classroom sessions and its' hard for me to sit at a computer for hours on end to do the online ones. The CD's combined with practice tests and some books seems like a good plan. Opinions? :p
Anyone ever use the audio osmosis and what's your review of them? Good, bad? :thumbup: :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

medmom said:
I have been looking into the examkrackers audio osmosis, it seems like a great way for me to study since I am low on cash flow and busy with kids. These seem very versatile because I could pop them in at any time. I don't live anywhere that I can do the classroom sessions and its' hard for me to sit at a computer for hours on end to do the online ones. The CD's combined with practice tests and some books seems like a good plan. Opinions? :p
Anyone ever use the audio osmosis and what's your review of them? Good, bad? :thumbup: :thumbdown:

I think Audio Osmosis is a good adjunct to practice tests and review books. I travel a lot for work (several hours a day). I probably listened to the complete set of CD's five times. It really helped supplement my 'formal' studying.

By the way, does anyone want to buy a used set of Audio Osmosis CD's? $100 for the set. :)

medmom said:

i know someone who used them intensely-- in her discman, at night, etc. the thing is that by the test time, you want as much of the examkrackers books as possible to be at the top of your mind... eg, you hear "nephron" (kidney) and start naming off facts, imagining pictures, etc. don't be overwhelmed by that, because it comes with practice.

if you are low on cash, i recommend the EK books-- but the whole set from amazon or barnes and noble (it is significantly cheaper than on the EK website). or if you don't need the math book, consider buying them separately. but don't skip the verbal book because you think you are a good reader, as the MCAT verbal is very different than regular reading, and the EK verbal book is incredible-- it will raise your score a few points.

the EK books are definitely the best.... they cut it down to what you need to know, and give you good intuition about how to do the test itself.

the only drawback is that their tests are way too hard. the kaplan tests are similarly hard. what it means is that people in EK or kaplan will jump significanlty on test day (or with a real practice MCAT), and people who take princeton review will basically stay the same-- because the princeton review tests are much more at the level of the MCAT (though still harder).

my overall recommendation for you would be to buy those EK books, and also to order (whether online or on paper) the OFFICIAL AMCAS released MCAT tests. those are just like the real MCAT you will take.

the real mcat is different than any of these practice tests in basically three ways (in my opinion). 1) it is easier for the most part, ie there are more simple questions and don't require as much obtuse knowledge; 2) there are more questions that require an "understanding" of science, because there will be passages that you have most likely not studied, and you have to just bring your background to the table and figure it out--- and the EK books will hopefully teach and convince you that all of these problems are doable, and almost never impossibly complex; 3) there are more tricky questions, ie just weird mind benders. but that third category is relatively small, but AMCAS can do it like nobody else.

this may be stressing you out, but look at an AMCAS scoring system, and realize that you are not aiming for 100%, but instead can miss a fair number of questions and still get a 30 or whatever you are aiming for.

the EK books are harder than any other book, and to a degree require you to understand the material better. but that pays off.

i took a princeton review course. i stopped going, only using the EK books, and taking their diagnostic tests -- and went from a 23 or something to a 35 in 10 weeks.

obviously i am a big supporter of the EK books. i don't work for them or anything, but have talked to a lot of people, and what I've written is more of a consensus opinion than merely my opinion.

feel free to write more and i'll offer any clarification or advice--- largely because you're a mom with kids and i feel for that and can imagine the busier path you have chosen.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Audio Osmosis and thought they were very helpful. I used them alot in the car since I commuted alot, but I didn't use them at home or on a portable CD player.

I recommend AO for anyone who spends alot of time in their car, but I don't think they should be used as the PRIMARY source of information. You still need to buy Kaplan, PR, or EK books and use them thoroughly. In addition to the books, you should buy practice tests and the official AAMC items.

In your case, since you're very busy at home, you could listen to the CD's while you're doing household things, and then hit the books when you have time to sit down and study. You can find good deals on all of these things on ebay. Hope that helps and good luck.

Audioosmosis is a good product. I have it, I use it, and I recommend it to anyone that is in a car a lot or has a mindless job where they can listen to stereo. I've found that I can't use it when my kids are around though. You're kids may be different.

I have these CDs of AO and while I am in Kaplan too, I will be listening to these over and over again for my final review before the test. I think sometimes it is hard to fully get all of the chem material as talk, sometimes it goes a bit fast - but you can always rewind it :thumbup:

I like using them alot, on the bus to class, before sleep, etc. It was def a good buy :)

medmom said:

I give them a Thumbs UP! I think its a great way to augement and actually turn what would no have been productive into productive time. They can be a tad corny here and there, but all in all its nice. To find a used set I'd look on www.half.com maybe ebay or just spend the 200 I think (give/take). Having said that, I would not rely on AO as my only prep for the MCAT.

Good Luck

Rob

91Bravo said:
I think Audio Osmosis is a good adjunct to practice tests and review books. I travel a lot for work (several hours a day). I probably listened to the complete set of CD's five times. It really helped supplement my 'formal' studying.

By the way, does anyone want to buy a used set of Audio Osmosis CD's? $100 for the set. :)

I would be interested in buying your CD's. I travel quite a bit as well and feel that it would be a most benificial use of that time! Just let me know how to contact you!

Jeremy