Examkrackers 8th Edition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beginningmcatprep1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I've been using Nymeria's MCAT study plan, and I have a quick question: Is it okay to use the 8th edition of Examkrackers for biology? I've been using the 8th edition and just realized it was pre-2015. I'm using Berkeley Review and Kaplan for most of the other sections, but I'm only using Examkrackers for biology and just wanted to make sure this edition would suffice.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely believe you need a post-2015 edition. The MCAT has changed drastically since 2015! In terms of passages, they are much more focused on research-based articles and more conceptually focused than previous years.

As far as overall study strategies go, I recommend taking a prep course. I used Altius and believe it is the reason I did so well on my MCAT. They have great post-2015 resources, 24/7 support, and guarantee you a 90th percentile score if you complete their program! It was well worth the time and the money.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't compared 8th vs 9th or bothered to compare new versions to pre-2015 - but I feel like you should be fine - particularly for the biology section and if you're using it mainly for content review not practice (the practice in the new books has changed to mimic the new exam). Science is science at the end of the day.

I personally recommend having a post-2015 book for the new MCAT as your primary resource for any section. Even if you don't want to spend tons of money - you can get a low cost solution via local marketplaces for used stuff, friends, or Classfieds Section on SDN - all of where you can also resell once you're done. If you want to keep what you have - that's fine too. MCAT Biology hasn't changed in the past 4 years - although how they test it has. If you don’t want to spend money - khan academy is free, the notes for the biology videos are in my signature. and your local library might have a new mcat book you are looking for that you can borrow!

Thank you so much!

I definitely believe you need a post-2015 edition. The MCAT has changed drastically since 2015! In terms of passages, they are much more focused on research-based articles and more conceptually focused than previous years.

As far as overall study strategies go, I recommend taking a prep course. I used Altius and believe it is the reason I did so well on my MCAT. They have great post-2015 resources, 24/7 support, and guarantee you a 90th percentile score if you complete their program! It was well worth the time and the money.

Thank you!