ExamKrackers Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

susan767

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm practicing verbal from ExamKrackers 101 passages and just thought I'd ask how everyone else is studying for the verbal sectin. The book is written for taking each section test in 85 minutes, whereas on the real thing is on the computer and we only have 60 minutes to complete with 7 passages and 40 questions. Should you take the full length with 9 passages in 85 minutes and score yourself, or do 7 passages (40 questions) in 60 minutes like the real exam? Any input and information from how all of you are studying for the verbal section would help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm practicing verbal from ExamKrackers 101 passages and just thought I'd ask how everyone else is studying for the verbal sectin. The book is written for taking each section test in 85 minutes, whereas on the real thing is on the computer and we only have 60 minutes to complete with 7 passages and 40 questions. Should you take the full length with 9 passages in 85 minutes and score yourself, or do 7 passages (40 questions) in 60 minutes like the real exam? Any input and information from how all of you are studying for the verbal section would help! Thanks!
I would do about half and half, but probably try to finish in 75 min and 55 min as the real mcat will have longer passages and nerves. Do half of them 40 questions so you will get used to the format, and half of them full lenght so you can build up endurance.

I was doing full length tests in the beginning to increase my endurance. If you can do a full length, then you probably can finish the new test with ease. Now, I'm just doing the first 5 passages, then the last 4 in two separate sittings, trying to increase focus and attention while maintaining speed. I would try to do a few full lengths and for those few work hard at maintaining focus. After awhile you get used to it and it becomes easier to the point where half the verbal section seems pretty short.

i would suggest doing the full sections, mainly because you build endurance, but also because you also get your scaled scores from the back!