Examkrackers vs. Kaplan classroom courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AL24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my 3rd MCAT this summer (late July) and am considering which classroom/online course to take.

I used Kaplan for my first two MCATs and scored 30 and 29, respectively. I didn't find Kaplan all that helpful, so am now considering taking the EK classroom course. I already have all of the materials (the course books plus the 1001 question series), though I am wondering whether EK gives you the same amount of access to practice tests (including AAMC) that Kaplan does.

Feedback welcome! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking my 3rd MCAT this summer (late July) and am considering which classroom/online course to take.

I used Kaplan for my first two MCATs and scored 30 and 29, respectively. I didn't find Kaplan all that helpful, so am now considering taking the EK classroom course. I already have all of the materials (the course books plus the 1001 question series), though I am wondering whether EK gives you the same amount of access to practice tests (including AAMC) that Kaplan does.

What sections were you struggling with?

Of the three sections, I am most concerned about PS.

I am looking for a course that can give me solid content review but also access to lots of practice materials -- I already have both the Kaplan and EK books, but I think the routine and discipline of going to class, say, 2x week and also being drilled with practice materials will be most helpful for me.

What was it about Kaplan that didn't work for you?

I didn't find the classroom portion all that helpful, but the online materials they provide in the way of full length exams and subject tests were outstanding. If I were you, I would invoke my right to regain access to Kaplan's materials and communicate with the course instructor about any difficulties you have with the PS section. If you are at the 30 mark, you probably have a pretty solid foundation in the theory with a few uncertainties here and there. Study what you're shaky with using EK books and go through Kap's subject tests.

I personally think that once you pass the 30 mark, people's scores are determined by their test taking ability and practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm I don't know what EK in class would be like but I'd assume they're using the same books I'm using. They are more conceptually based than mechanical (I personally find their PS weak but to each their own). Have you looked into TPR? They are good with PS section (I have their course books). Have you tried to self study? The best physical science books come from Berkeley Review. At least that is the word on the street.

Of the three sections, I am most concerned about PS.

I am looking for a course that can give me solid content review but also access to lots of practice materials -- I already have both the Kaplan and EK books, but I think the routine and discipline of going to class, say, 2x week and also being drilled with practice materials will be most helpful for me.

I can't speak for the EK classroom, but the Kaplan classroom, in my experience, is worthless. You are just read the coursebook by someone who knows just a little more than you do. It's definitely not high yield learning time. I would be willing to wager that you will either know the material and be bored or not know it and be frustrated. Either way, it wasn't the best choice, at least for me.

If you do need structure you might be better off with a study buddy and some other books. If you did Kaplan 2x you had access to all of the classroom materials, so take a look at them for yourself and see if you think it's worth it.

I, like yourself, have really been struggling with the PS section. I think half was intimidation and the other was just simply a lack of preperation from my physics courses, which were years ago.

I tried:

Kaplan: didn't really like it for PS. They would assume you knew more than you might know and didn't really reinforce the info well.

EK: way to little background info. I felt that if they would just explain this little thing or that or why they are doing what they were doing I would have understood it 10x better, but needless to say they didn't.

Nova: This wasn't bad, but it seemed to go from very basic to very difficult in about the span of 1/2 a page (plus some of their problems required a calculator... WTF?). So, I got the basic stuff, but missed the transition the more difficult. Nice chapter review questions though.

Now I'm doing the Berkeley Review and let me tell you, it is a night and day difference. These guys teach you what you need. They don't make the assumption that you already know it, they walk you through the material step-by-step. I am starting to think I might actually have a shot at increasing my PS scores. I haven't tried their Gchem yet, but I've heard it's equally as good.

I know they don't have a course on the east coast, but their books are golden. At least thus far.

I would honestly recommend picking up the BR PS books and setting up a study schedule, then just make yourself stick to it.

I'm not sure you'll get much out of EK classes. Every prep company's classroom performance is dependent on the instructor and not the company itself. EK's success comes from their concise review books, 1001 series and their bestseller( 101 Verbal). They have only a handful of full-lengths--I think 3 or 4 which you can buy on directly from them for $20. They have nowhere near the breath of practice materials found in Kaplan.

If you are looking to get a fresh start with new materials you may wanna consider TPR. They have good amount of practice materials.

Your best bet is to see how the EK class is around your area. Ask other pre-meds if they've taken the course in your area. You should also call up and ask if you can sit in on a class. The key here is to find out how the classes are in YOUR area. Teacher quality can differ greatly from area to area.

I don't know if EK gives you access to the AAMC practice tests. I do know that EK's practice tests are horrible.