Examkrakers 10 Week Study Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raffertk9181

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the EK 10 week study plan? What did you think? Was 10 weeks enough time? I have heard EK is the best program for MCAT studying, but would it be better to supplement it with other materials as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone tried the EK 10 week study plan? What did you think? Was 10 weeks enough time? I have heard EK is the best program for MCAT studying, but would it be better to supplement it with other materials as well?

IMHO ten weeks is not enough time to study for the MCAT unless you have nothing else going on. Even then that is a short window of time. EK is very good at delivering the basics. You will be ready for most of the MCAT is you use only EK. Their shortcoming is that they lack quality answer explanations, and that is where you really learn the material. I personally think you need to supplement your materials. Start by looking at the SN2ed plan.

Let me caveat my post by saying I'm a working non-trad with typically 2 hours per day to put into it, so my experience may be irrelevant to you.

I am doing the 10 week program. After the first week I skipped their recommendation for day 1 each week, which involves reading four chapters. This is called the "pre-read." Pre-reading four chapters in one sitting was not effective for me and I got nothing out of it. Now I just work through 3-4 chapters per week. Each chapter takes me about a day and a half on average

For the stuff I learned well in my pre-reqs, I think EK is terrific. For the stuff I didn't learn well, I do not think EK is effective. Luckily my pre-reqs prepared me well, so I've only come across a few problematic topics. But for someone with lots of gaps in their knowledge, they should consider something else as their primary content review. For me, I just go back to my science textbooks for stuff I was never exposed to.

I also like the 30 minute tests. More experienced MCAT takers claim they are good and I am satisfied with them. They focus on reasoning, which is what I perceive to be the focus of the new MCAT. I like the fact that for every ~2 hours of content review, I am forced to spend time doing quality passages, avoiding what I see many do: day after day of content with no passage practice.

Finally, the AAMC material is my priority. So ~10 weeks before January 28th, I am going to stop EK even if I'm not done with the program and shift gears to AAMC practice. I cannot imagine anything will be better preparation.