Excel Spreadsheet for Logging Veterinary Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M&D

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN pre-vets,

My husband made this amazing Excel spreadsheet for logging veterinary hours. It's too good to be used by only one person. I have created a gmail account (in the name of my dogs) for the sole purpose of sharing it with you guys, while keeping my identity anonymous. Most beneficial will probably be to download the document in stead of using the online excel version. The information currently in the document is fake information, just to show you guys how to use the document. Off course you can remove the information, and input your own.

This is how it works:
  • Sheet two contains drop-down information. You can enter your own clinics and animal types. By clicking "save", your personal drop-down info will appear in the drop downs on sheet one.
  • Sheet one is pretty self explanatory.
  • The columns on the right side of sheet one will automatically calculate your hours when clicking "save".
If something is unclear, please feel free to ask. If you guys have ideas on how to improve it, I would be happy to hear but I'm not sure my husband will be able to fix anything right away (it took me a long time to convince him in the first place).

I hope this will help someone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Fyi (unless it's been changed in the last 3 years) VMCAS also asks for a contact number for each experience you list. I used email addresses for some if I couldn't dig up a phone number, but I'd recommend also keeping track of that to make your life easier during the application process.

Reactions: 4 users
I used something very similar myself while a pre-vet. I actually recommend people keep it as a google drive spreadsheet to avoid losing if your computer crashes/whatever. I'd put notes about interesting cases or thoughts I may want to include in essays sometime in the future.

Also kept one with surgery experience as a vet student.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fyi (unless it's been changed in the last 3 years) VMCAS also asks for a contact number for each experience you list. I used email addresses for some if I couldn't dig up a phone number, but I'd recommend also keeping track of that to make your life easier during the application process.

That's great to know! Is it typically a clinic phone#, or the veterinarians personal phone#?

That's great to know! Is it typically a clinic phone#, or the veterinarians personal phone#?
I included clinic phone numbers when I applied, I assumed the vets I worked with wouldn't be happy about me giving out their cell phone numbers. Most schools don't call experiences anyway, except maybe if something looks fishy, but it's probably best to include contact info if you've got it.

Reactions: 1 user