Excited, naive, and slightly scared OMS1 here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gensurghopeful

Reaction score
Finally got into medical school at the age of 25... never for a second do I doubt wanting to become a physician, but now that I'm here I'm excited, and also worried that my dream of becoming a surgeon will die if I don't crush COMLEX and USMLE...

My MCAT was pretty weak and my GPA was solid. I guess the point of this post was to see what can I start doing RIGHT AWAY, when I start in a months time, to improve my ability to crush those exams at the end of OMS2 year...

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
learn things really well the first time, and use a system like firecracker or anki religiously if you really want to retain / do well

Reactions: 4 users
Work ur ass off every single day no matter what.

I was just like you... very happy and excited.

I am starting 3rd year on Monday and EVERY ounce of excitement, happiness, fulfillment has been drained from me these past 2 years.

This **** ain't gonna be easy and it's not supposed to.

Just remember it's a LONG road and you are JUST barely getting onto the highway.

Stay in ur lane, keep your head down, avoid all the bull, and do your thing.

Med school sucks balls.

Am I miserable? You bet your ass I am.

But in a sick way... I love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Work ur ass off every single day no matter what.

I was just like you... very happy and excited.

I am starting 3rd year on Monday and EVERY ounce of excitement, happiness, fulfillment has been drained from me these past 2 years.

This **** ain't gonna be easy and it's not supposed to.

Just remember it's a LONG road and you are JUST barely getting onto the highway.

Stay in ur lane, keep your head down, avoid all the bull, and do your thing.

Med school sucks balls.

But I love it.
Going to second this. The process can really suck, especially around boards. But hit the ground running Day 1, take full advantage of the resources the school offers and slowly but surely find the best ones for you as you refine your study habits. You will get SO efficient at studying before you know it and be able to introduce more balance to your life, but definitely start out strong.

Reactions: 2 users
You're gonna get so many different advice, but I feel like the most important ones you should listen to are things that pertain to time management skills. If you are very good at honing this, everything else in med school will fall in line very easily and it will be a lot easier for you to manage things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Finally got into medical school at the age of 25... never for a second do I doubt wanting to become a physician, but now that I'm here I'm excited, and also worried that my dream of becoming a surgeon will die if I don't crush COMLEX and USMLE...

My MCAT was pretty weak and my GPA was solid. I guess the point of this post was to see what can I start doing RIGHT AWAY, when I start in a months time, to improve my ability to crush those exams at the end of OMS2 year...

Cheers!
Read this:
Goro's Guide to Success in Medical School (2017 edition)

Just to inject a dose of reality, not many DOs becomes surgeons. The odds are that you will end up in Primary Care, Psych, Neurology, ER, PM&R, Ob/GYN, gas or rads.

Read this:
Goro's Guide to Success in Medical School (2017 edition)

Just to inject a dose of reality, not many DOs becomes surgeons. The odds are that you will end up in Primary Care, Psych, Neurology, ER, PM&R, Ob/GYN, gas or rads.
Does primary care include both FM and IM?
What can I do to break out of this mold and try and get a surgical residency?

Off the top of my head I wouldn't be opposed to doing neuro, rads, ER, maybe even IM so that's fine. Surgery has been a dream of mine, but thankfully I am over the moon already that I will be a doc period.

Reactions: 2 users
Does primary care include both FM and IM?
Yes

What can I do to break out of this mold and try and get a surgical residency?
Do well on Boards and seek the advice of our wise resident colleagues.

Don't do research in Summer of year 1, unless you are SURE to publish, please, just go to Vegas and enjoy yourself, try not to blow through all your loans.

Reactions: 1 user