May 9, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
Hey all!

I was just wondering if it is standard for ASCs to sign exclusivity contracts with anesthesia groups? Or is it just a free for all and any anesthesiologist can approach the ASC for work?

criticalelement

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 24, 2014
Status
Attending Physician
The ASC is usually owned by a consortium of surgeons and proceduralists. We are usually hired on as employees of the consortium or they just plain ole leave us out and hire their own CRNAS. Sometimes they do go into an agreement with an anesthesia group to ensure coverage and they are not left high and dry.

Reactions: Consigliere
OP
B
May 9, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for the reply Crit...Would it be kosher for me to essentially go "door-to-door" to ASCs and offer my services as anesthesiologist? If so, who should I ask for? Medical director or anesthesia director?

Mman

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for the reply Crit...Would it be kosher for me to essentially go "door-to-door" to ASCs and offer my services as anesthesiologist? If so, who should I ask for? Medical director or anesthesia director?
ASCs function the same as hospitals in terms of anesthesia contracts. Nearly all of them either have an exclusive contract with a group of some sort (AMC, private group, academic department) or employ their own anesthesiologists and/or CRNAs/AAs.

If you have a question about who or what has that contract I'd suggest asking to speak with the president or CEO of the ASC. If that's not possible, you can talk to the head of the anesthesia services although if they have a contract to provide services the odds of them returning your call are slim.