Exempt course help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3 courses which are "extra to degree." For example, one of these courses shows 3 credits taken and 0 credits passed. The grade is indicated as A+. Would I mark this down as exempt?

Is there a way to explain on AMCAS how this course is only extra to degree and I actually had been awarded the credits. The 0 credits passed part just means it did not contribute to my degree.

It could be confusing for someone unfamiliar with how the transcript reads to interpret it.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a way to attach a note onto AMCAS? An AMCAS staff might think "3 units taken, 0 units passed" means that I have not been awarded credit.

My college website states: "Courses successfully completed while registered in a program which are not being used for degree credit are known as courses extra to the degree. Such courses are, however, included in the assessment of academic standing. Students who register for more than a minimum number of courses for graduation should designate the additional courses as extra"

Which I think is sufficient explanation to say that those courses do actually count.

Is there a way to attach a note onto AMCAS? An AMCAS staff might think "3 units taken, 0 units passed" means that I have not been awarded credit.

My college website states: "Courses successfully completed while registered in a program which are not being used for degree credit are known as courses extra to the degree. Such courses are, however, included in the assessment of academic standing. Students who register for more than a minimum number of courses for graduation should designate the additional courses as extra"

Which I think is sufficient explanation to say that those courses do actually count.

I don't think it's necessary. They will know. If you got a C, they would sure as hell include it in your GPA. So they would absolutely any grade you receive into your GPA.