Exercise Physiology Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Architect2PT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few DPT programs I'm looking at require Exercise Physiology as a pre-requisite. It seems to not be readily available in the Chicago area. (UIC has classes but they are for Kinesiology majors only.)

One option is the United States Sports Academy which has an online class accepted by at least 2 programs I'm looking at. Unfortunately, it will end up being pretty expensive.

Has anyone taken this class? Any feedback?

Or does anyone know of other options?

Members don't see this ad.

The US Sports Academy teaches an online course for Exercise Physiology that UNC-CH will accept. The course call name and number are- SAR 520 Exercise Physiology. It can be found at www.ussa.edu

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the link below. I've taken regular classes at UCLA and through the extension but never online. However, all the professors I've had were either experts in the field or members of the UCLA faculty.......money well spent!

https://www.uclaextension.edu/r/Course.aspx?reg=V5617

Thanks! Looks like that would be like $2000 less than US Sports Academy. I e-mailed the schools (OSU and UNC) to see if they will accept it. Crossing my fingers...:xf:

what PT school requires ex phys? I know Univ of Wisc-Madison does, but none of the Illinois schools do...where are you looking to go?

UIC does offer exercise phys in the summer for non-kines majors, I believe, because I looked into taking it there. Also check out Northern Illinois Univ (in Dekalb). I don't know where you live, but I know they have ex phys...they offer a master's degree in ex phys and have a PT school and undergrad athletic training program.

Has anyone actually done the UCLA Extension Physiology class? I have several questions:

Do you need to be a UCLA student to take it?

Is it really only $575?!?

Will DPT programs accept it?

If you have taken it before: is it hard?

Anyone taken the UNM or USSA online exercise physiology courses? Did you happen to verify if MGH or Boston University will accept them? (I'm anxiously awaiting a response to the email I sent on Monday.)

I'm in a bit of a bind. I've been planning on taking the UCLA Extension online course in January. However, I just found out that they're not offering the online section until March. That wouldn't be a problem except that it doesn't end until after the MGH and BU DPT programs start.

Anyone know of any other online exercise physiology courses that I could complete before the end of May?

Has anyone actually done the UCLA Extension Physiology class? I have several questions:

Do you need to be a UCLA student to take it?

Is it really only $575?!?

Will DPT programs accept it?

If you have taken it before: is it hard?

Hey I am currently taking the UCLA extension physiology class. The course is online and you never have to meet up for those of you that live far away or out of state. You do not have to be a UCLA student to take it. Anyone who has online access and the money can take it since the people in my class are from all over the US :)

It is $575 sadly no financial aid so I had to pay it out of my own pocket (I actually cringed at the price). Not complaining too much since the class was full and I checked the website from time to time and was lucky to get in when someone dropped the class.

Most DPT schools will accept it but you should check with the schools that you are applying because I know this course isn't really offered at a lot of colleges. UOP's DPT program does not accept online exercise physio even though I told them that there aren't any that are NOT online. Stupid thing is that they accept medical terminology online but colleges offer that in classroom settings. So in the end there was no point in applying to that school. oh the irony...

The class is okayy. Every week the professor posts powerpoint slides and lecture notes. Reading is supplementary but I am a type of person who reads even though theres lecture notes since it kinda gives me more ground/reinforcement of material. Online discussion of the material each week. I just took my first midterm online. It's a 2 hr free response timed test.

Heads up for anyone that's applying this cycle...I learned the hard way that UCLA only offers the online version of exercise physiology every other quarter. It won't be offered again until March 28 - June 19. Unfortunately, the two programs that I'm applying to that require it both start before it ends.

Heads up for anyone that's applying this cycle...I learned the hard way that UCLA only offers the online version of exercise physiology every other quarter. It won't be offered again until March 28 - June 19. Unfortunately, the two programs that I'm applying to that require it both start before it ends.

I just checked right now for and exercise physio is offered this winter (but it's not an online course sadly). It sucks that they don't offer it online every quarter (prob because of budget cuts we are suffering from in CA) Like you said, the next time this course is online is Spring 2011.

There's actually a discount right now if anyone CAN take this course this winter in classroom settings. You guys should sign up before 12/11/10 for $495. If you sign up after 12/11/10 it's $545. The class starts 1/1/11. In the end, still cheaper than $575 (which is what i paid boo)

Here's the link:
https://www.uclaextension.edu/r/Course.aspx?reg=W1120

go go go~! :D

P.S. anyone want to buy my exercise physio book off my hands after december? i bought it for $50 with shipping. It's in pretty good condition and has the CD with it (CD unused) lol

Last edited:

I'm in a similar situation...
But today, I just found this online Exercise Physiology course at Northeastern that finishes in April.

https://www.cps.neu.edu/courses/NTR6148/

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for sharing the information.

BTW do they allow outside student to take it? And how much??
Anyone that's been accepted to UNM can take the course. The course is $788.20.

If you decide to enroll...The application process is very simple (especially if you already have an undergrad). It's a short online app and if I remember correctly, the app fee is only $10. You must email the instructor to enroll in the course. If I were you, I'd go ahead and email the instructor while you're waiting to hear back on your app. Tell him you've already begun the app process.

Anyone that's been accepted to UNM can take the course. The course is $788.20.

If you decide to enroll...The application process is very simple (especially if you already have an undergrad). It's a short online app and if I remember correctly, the app fee is only $10. You must email the instructor to enroll in the course. If I were you, I'd go ahead and email the instructor while you're waiting to hear back on your app. Tell him you've already begun the app process.

I found this online class too:
http://www.hkeducationcenter.com/showCourse.cfm?CourseID=9&orgCode=HKUSA&fCourse=HFFT103

The price is amazing! I'd definitely check with prospective schools before enrolling though.

$79 for an online class? Yeah, definitely check it out with the school first. And I dont understand how programs accept an exercise physiology class taken online, my ex phys class was difficult, the professor only had 20 qs each for the test and the answers were ridiculous, there was definitely no educated guessing, but that's just me.;) Do you have labs for these online courses?

$79 for an online class? Yeah, definitely check it out with the school first. And I dont understand how programs accept an exercise physiology class taken online, my ex phys class was difficult, the professor only had 20 qs each for the test and the answers were ridiculous, there was definitely no educated guessing, but that's just me.;) Do you have labs for these online courses?
I can only speak for UNM. There are no labs. The entire course is online. Interesting side note - the instructor's a PT.

I can only speak for UNM. There are no labs. The entire course is online. Interesting side note - the instructor's a PT.
So then do students take test at a certain location, like a test center?

So then do students take test at a certain location, like a test center?
Nope. It's ALL (lectures, discussions, assignments, tests, etc.) online. You're missing out if you've never taken an online course. They've been a godsend for me.

Nope. It's ALL (lectures, discussions, assignments, tests, etc.) online. You're missing out if you've never taken an online course. They've been a God-send for me.

Could you please ask u of boston if this cheap online course is accepted?

And then please tell me their answer.

Nope. It's ALL (lectures, discussions, assignments, tests, etc.) online. You're missing out if you've never taken an online course. They've been a godsend for me.
ROFL, I guess Im a little bitter because I never thought of taking EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY online. I mean I did work in that class and got away with a B+. I wonder if programs accept A&P I and II or other science courses taken online as well. Sheesh! LOL.

Could you please ask u of boston if this cheap online course is accepted?

And then please tell me their answer.

Steph you can't be serious lol. Like seriously? For real?

OK, ill do it, Who do I email?

Look up the contact info on the BU site and then email them your question.
LMFAO.......Or you can do this:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Remember you want the documentation for yourself, just incase they dispute it later.

ROFL, I guess Im a little bitter because I never thought of taking EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY online. I mean I did work in that class and got away with a B+. I wonder if programs accept A&P I and II or other science courses taken online as well. Sheesh! LOL.
It's my understanding that it's pretty much the ONLY science course that can be taken online since you're required to have labs for biology, chemistry, physics and a&p. Don't beat yourself up. Online courses aren't necessarily easy just b/c they're online. Believe me. I've had some doozies. Some of my instructors took the attitude that you should do extra work b/c you didn't have to go to an actual classroom (which completely defeated my purpose in taking an online course). You're fortunate that you found an onsite location to take it. It's not readily available in very many places. I've also found that if it is available, it's usually only available to kinesio majors or grad students.

It's my understanding that it's pretty much the ONLY science course that can be taken online since you're required to have labs for biology, chemistry, physics and a&p. Don't beat yourself up. Online courses aren't necessarily easy just b/c they're online. Believe me. I've had some doozies. Some of my instructors took the attitude that you should do extra work b/c you didn't have to go to an actual classroom (which completely defeated my purpose in taking an online course). You're fortunate that you found an onsite location to take it. It's not readily available in very many places. I've also found that if it is available, it's usually only available to kinesio majors or grad students.
It was a pre-req to graduate as an Exercise Science major at Florida State. And the lab was a complete waste of time. I had to take Metabolism classes with the dietetics majors also. (Nutrition classes are so damn hard)

It totally makes sense now! Duh! Why didn't I think of this earlier. Your right, this class was restricted to AT, Kines, Ex Science, Ex Phys majors. I will see myself out of this thread lol!!!!

It was a pre-req to graduate as an Exercise Science major at Florida State. And the lab was a complete waste of time. I had to take Metabolism classes with the dietetics majors also. (Nutrition classes are so damn hard)

It totally makes sense now! Duh! Why didn't I think of this earlier. Your right, this class was restricted to AT, Kines, Ex Science, Ex Phys majors. I will see myself out of this thread lol!!!!

I wouldn't worry about the class being a waste taken in person. I'm sure the skills used and learned will translate over to PT school fairly well..