Exhausted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eik Ooc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker here. Throwing some chum in.

2.9 Undergrad GPA, many years ago for B.S.
3.75 PostBacc GPA, taking science courses at the Uni
3.35 Cumulative GPA at time of application
35 Diagnostic MCATs
Decent EC's/volunteer work
Sincere personal statement

I've been working fulltime in a demanding profession while doing the fulltime premed thingamajig (18 credit hours per semester, volunteering etc.) for two years.

So this is it. The last lap. I apply June 2011.

The thing is...I'm utterly exhausted. I'm so tired. Hard work and sleep dep aren't the problem really. It's the thought that this may be a collossal waste of two years of my life, that all of this may have been for nothing that's the the problem. With each week that passes, I grow more certain that there's no way in SDN that I'll be accepted MD or DO.

Maybe I just need a good night's sleep or maybe a wake up call.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you've already done all the major work, so just apply broadly and see what happens. Worst case scenario you dont get accepted. So you take a gap year to either work fulltime and build your resume or you do another year year of coursework and add to your GPA.

Don't stress yourself out too much. If you really want in you'll get there.

Long time lurker here. Throwing some chum in.

2.9 Undergrad GPA, many years ago for B.S.
3.75 PostBacc GPA, taking science courses at the Uni
3.35 Cumulative GPA at time of application
35 Diagnostic MCATs
Decent EC's/volunteer work
Sincere personal statement

I've been working fulltime in a demanding profession while doing the fulltime premed thingamajig (18 credit hours per semester, volunteering etc.) for two years.

So this is it. The last lap. I apply June 2011.

The thing is...I'm utterly exhausted. I'm so tired. Hard work and sleep dep aren't the problem really. It's the thought that this may be a collossal waste of two years of my life, that all of this may have been for nothing that's the the problem. With each week that passes, I grow more certain that there's no way in SDN that I'll be accepted MD or DO.

Maybe I just need a good night's sleep or maybe a wake up call.

Doing something similar, I don't see how it's physically possible to do all of that. The most I've been able to manage while working full time as an engineer (40-50+hrs/week) is 11 credit hours (with 2 labs) and volunteering.
How you've managed, and doing so while maintaining such a high GPA, is beyond me. Kudos to you, and good luck on your last lap!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Eik Ooc,

I am not a true non-trad (I only took two years off after college before applying) but you look like you are doing great to me. Your old GPA may seem like it weighs you down, but your post-bac GPA looks awesome. I think you are definitely set for an MD acceptance. Keep up the confidence! Adcoms will definitely see what you have done, and acknowledge it accordingly. Your road is almost over, friend. :)

i was talking to my wife about this yesterday. i am taking classes with premed people that seem oblivious to the competitiveness of the situation. They say things like I am going to this certain school and "I am starting their fall of 2011 and I am thinking about applying in the next month or so." Or they say "When I apply, I will get in." Some days I wish I had that much confidence and I was that niave to not be worried about the process at all. this SDN has been a huge help preparing me for the process and has played a huge part in freaking me out, especially when i see those "3.92 GPA, 34 MCAT, no interviews" threads. But just know you are almost done. Have the confidence that you will get in, but i know how hard it is.