Existential/Humanistic psychotherapeutic method

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orchidgal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a branch of psychology that addresses psychological problems due to existential problems (the human dilemma of existence) and others fear of life, fear of death... is anyone familiar with this area of study and having dealt with people who have faced their own existential dilemma - what is the treatment process like? what kinds of issues are discussed? anyone doing academic work in this area? Ernest Becker wrote a bit about this in the Denial of Death.

Also how is this method phenomenological? How is that subjective method used?

When a psychologist or psychotherapist (what's the difference?) practices do they focus on certain methods whether cognitive, behavioral, traditional Freudian psychotherapy, positive optimism...? Are their guidelines for practice?

Also I am finding that many practitioners involve other methods eneagrams, myths/archetypes (Jungian?), energy levels, etc. What are the "methods" of a practitioner? Are they based on scientific methods/practices? How does a practitioner work?

How intellectually challenging is the work? Is there a lot of publishing involved for those in practice? Are there people who do both?

What's the difference between being an MD in Psychiatry vs. Psychologist vs psychotherapist (what degree gives one the title of psychotherapist?) vs LICSW/social worker? How do the practices differ?

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I went through a major stage of existential angst (worthy of a philosophy major) and let me tell you it would have been nice if any of my psychiatrists/psychologists had any existential training whatsoever. I mean, CBT is good and all, but sometimes you just don't want to hear 'well I don't know whether free will is an illusion, but when you feel this way have you tried any thought-stopping mechanisms and visualization to combat your anxiety?'. Actually the one person who was any help whatsoever was a psychiatrist but I think he was just intelligent rather than trained in any techniques. I only know a little about Jungian analysis but some of it seems very cool, particularly his writing on the dynamic between the shadow and the self.

Actually if I were ever going to practice, which is unlikely, I'd probably go for a Jungian approach-- the major reason I don't want to do therapy is I don't like boring or stupid people and anyone who's even heard of Jung is probably of above average intelligence and I'm good at sounding vaguely philisophical without ever giving any practical advice :laugh:

EDIT: and unfortunately I'm not a grad student so I can't answer any of your questions except the last: As you said a psychiatrist is a medical doctor and a psychologist has a PhD in psychology, or a PsyD, and to practice one must pass the EPPP licensing exam. A psychotherapist is not a protected term- at least in Mass anyone can call themselves a psychotherapist...you can have a PhD in comparative literature or an MSW or no degree.

Existential Therapy...... what kinds of issues are discussed?

http://www.existential-therapy.com/

....do they focus on certain methods whether cognitive, behavioral, traditional Freudian psychotherapy, positive optimism...? Are their guidelines for practice?

The person can practice however they want (within ethical boundaries). It gets a bit questionable with the fringe orientations (EMDR, etc), but most responsible clinicians will stick with methods that are supported by peer-reviewed research.

What are the "methods" of a practitioner? Are they based on scientific methods/practices? How does a practitioner work?

It depends on your orientation. Each orientation has their own framework, terminology, methods, etc. As I mentioned above, whatever methods/orientations should have research that supports it, though some orientations have more than others.

As for how a practioner works....again, depends on their orientation.

How intellectually challenging is the work? Is there a lot of publishing involved for those in practice? Are there people who do both?

It may vary by population. I like to diversify, so it stays pretty interesting. If you treated pseudo-pathalogy (wanna-be neurotic soccer moms), that would probably get pretty boring, but if you work with complex cases...that should keep it challenging. You can choose to publish if you'd like, though it can take some work to get a doc accepted. Many professors actively publish and have a private practice on the side.

What's the difference between being an MD in Psychiatry vs. Psychologist vs psychotherapist (what degree gives one the title of psychotherapist?) vs LICSW/social worker? How do the practices differ?

A psychiatrist is a physician that gets additional psych training. Traditionally they do meds management and may or may not do individual therapy. A psychologist can do a range of things including: teaching, researching/publishing, therapy, assessment, consulting, etc. A psychotherapist is a generic term for people who do counseling.. An LCSW/SW, etc tend to do more short-term solution based services. This can vary, but they get a broader range of training, outside of just therapy skills.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
Yalom has an interesting book on existential psychotherapy. I belive it's called Existential Psychotherapy. ;)

Thank you all for responding to my post. Very informative. I found a couple books on case studies of patients with existential problems and will take a look at it. The author is Yalom.

I have another question.

Regarding one's practice... and research in developing/ongoing psychotherapeutic methods... can a practitioner be particular as to the kinds of cases s/he is working with? I must say I don't know if I want to develop the breadth to deal with certain kinds of cases... which may not have the intellectual interest or personal passion that brings me to the work. And also, yes I would be more interested in highly intellectually challenging cases... which may lend itself to those with either high level of cognition or those that do not. (elementary postulation wreaked with undefined terms I know). Can a practitioner choose not to take a case and refer the client to someone else? And in this case, am I looking at private pay for services versus working within a health care network? I would rather practice in an academic environment while conducting clinical research.

i heart huckabees was a good movie and somewhat relevant...existential investigator

You can develop your practice in anyway/direction that you want to take it. :) It may take a long time and be an uphill challenge. I really recommended that you are working on your Ph.D/LPC/LCSW or what have you before you get too caught up in which particular population that you want to work with. I think that during your internship/practicum year you should see the widest variety of clientele possible so that you have at least been exposed to a little of everything, you never know who will walk through your door and ask for help.

Yes you can refer patients to other providers if they present with an issue you are not comfortable working with or they do not fit your practice as you see it. The private pay vs insurance question does not matter, I think that taking insurance will mean that you will have a wider base of people seeking your services.

*Not being harsh or mean to patients* Just remember that everyone that you turn away or send to another provider is less money in your pocket at the end of the day. Good luck.

Jeff

I know this is an old topic, but I am curious if anyone has any newer info or resources on this type of therapy. If you cannot tell from my name on here, I'm into it :) I'll post a newer book i've found a bit later

Does anyone know of clinical doctorate programs - psyd or phd - that specialize in humanistic/existential psychotherapy?

Thanks!

Does anyone know of clinical doctorate programs - psyd or phd - that specialize in humanistic/existential psychotherapy?

Thanks!

There are several programs that do, you just have to find them. I believe that there is a post somewhere on this thread that lists a good number of humanistic programs, and then goes back and cancels out ones that are not APA accred.

Off the top of my head: University of Seattle (I think it's this, or somewhere in Seattle/Washington) there is an M.A. Existential-Phenomenological Psychotherapy/Psychology.

Duquesne University- Clinical, PhD
University of West Georgia, Psy.D (can't remember if its clinical or counseling)
Our Lady of the Lake- Counseling PsyD- they are humanistic but with a major emphasis on postmodern approaches