Existential Psych program suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

namepl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for a second run at grad school apps after being passed over last time because my interests were a bit on the vague side. I've drifted towards a humanistic, mostly existential viewpoint since then, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding faculty doing that sort of research. Any suggestions on programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck on that one!

Forget about finding a clinical psych researcher with a humanistic perspective.

If you don't have a positive or, if your a real radical in the field, to the far left a post-positive orientation towards research, your basically out of luck!

Counseling psych is a bit more supportive of qualitative/humanistic research, I think. Social work, too.

I'm getting ready for a second run at grad school apps after being passed over last time because my interests were a bit on the vague side. I've drifted towards a humanistic, mostly existential viewpoint since then, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding faculty doing that sort of research. Any suggestions on programs?

Check out Duquesne University. I don't know about it much, but one of my college professors teaching humanistic psychology went there and so he taught half of the course about existential phenomenology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greg Neimeyer, UF.

Calhoun and Tedeschi do research on posttraumatic growth, which is a construct which has an existential flavor to it. They are both at UNC Charlotte.

Calhoun and Tedeschi do research on posttraumatic growth, which is a construct which has an existential flavor to it. They are both at UNC Charlotte.

...but there's no clinical or counseling psych program there.

...but there's no clinical or counseling psych program there.

The PhD program is in health psych, but they have a clinical track. Although I honestly don't know much about the program other that the fact that Tedeschi and Calhoun are there, who do interesting work with PTG.

it's a lot easier to find clinical supervisors who have eclectic/humanistic/existential orientations than primary research mentors. I'm, in an externship right now like that: my research is pretty different than my clinical work..