expected auto screen rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexwantsanMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing my research;

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do they really screen just the first 90 credits? I always assumed they take your total uGPA to date into account when screening out initially.

'The GPA only includes the first 3 years of college and is most useful as an initial automated screening tool. Subsequent grades are taken into consideration when manual screening is done. If you are screened out immediately and have a low initial GPA, but subsequent better grades, please let our office know.'

I finished 90 credits at a community college before transferring with a 3.3, since these are considered freshmen and sophomore grades by amcas, is there a chance that AMCAS would calculate them as such? I'm tempted to test run the entire application just to see what stats they pop out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
'The GPA only includes the first 3 years of college and is most useful as an initial automated screening tool. Subsequent grades are taken into consideration when manual screening is done. If you are screened out immediately and have a low initial GPA, but subsequent better grades, please let our office know.'

I finished 90 credits at a community college before transferring with a 3.3, since these are considered freshmen and sophomore grades by amcas, is there a chance that AMCAS would calculate them as such? I'm tempted to test run the entire application just to see what stats they pop out.

AMCAS uses your first 30 credits for Freshman, 30-60 for Sophmore etc. regardless of where they're from, as far as I know. But I wouldn't worry about getting a "late" rejection. University of Washington rejects early. I received my rejection less than 3 weeks after submitting. Hope that helps! Good luck!

AMCAS uses your first 30 credits for Freshman, 30-60 for Sophmore etc. regardless of where they're from, as far as I know. But I wouldn't worry about getting a "late" rejection. University of Washington rejects early. I received my rejection less than 3 weeks after submitting. Hope that helps! Good luck!
Well did you appeal?

Well did you appeal?

No I'm not going to appeal as I'm not a resident of Washington, Idaho or Montana so it was a long shot. I wasn't auto screened I was outright rejected lol. I just wanted to reassure you that you will get your rejection quickly from them giving you lots of time to appeal. I read on the UW thread about a girl that appealed and got an interview, so clearly it can work out! Good luck to you!

Doing my research;

My dream school auto-screens based on freshmen, sophomore, and junior cumulative GPA via AMCAS calculated credit hours; if the applicant has <2.7 GPA, they are automatically rejected.

I did a quick estimate and unfortunately i'm still atoning for my stupidity from over 10 years ago; technically my freshmen, sophomore and junior combined GPA equates to a 2.45. I left school after this and returned to make stellar grades. My current undergraduate gpa is around a 3.5 and going up. Overall I believe I'll be able to turn in a competitive application (albeit my first attempt at college grades).

So i'm expecting to be auto-screened out. While I am allowed to appeal and request a manual review, i'm afraid I won't receive the rejection until late into the application cycle. Essentially making my early submission pointless, since my application will probably be put at the bottom of the pile due to my pending appeal. Losing the entire advantage of applying early.

I contacted one admissions advisor, asking if I could be proactive and alert them to the situation, and was told 'no,' I have to wait to be rejected first to appeal. I'm considering a second opinion.

Anyone else go through the same process and were able to successfully circumvent it? Solutions? Advice? Should I go after a dean or associate dean?

On a side note: Anyone know what schools screen based on the first 90 credits?

“Dream schools are like dream girls: better in the abstract than reality”. –The exceptionally wise gyngyn

I suggest that you write off this school. Apparently, they don't believe in reinvention. Can you share which one it is? PM if needed.

There are other schools out there.

“Dream schools are like dream girls: better in the abstract than reality”. –The exceptionally wise gyngyn

I suggest that you write off this school. Apparently, they don't believe in reinvention. Can you share which one it is? PM if needed.

There are other schools out there.
It's University of Washington. Surprisingly, considering how ridiculous their initial GPA screen is, they seem to be fairly open to non-trads who appeal their rejection with at least 2 years of recent strong coursework.

That said, every Washington state resident abhors their initial GPA recalculation and screen :p

It's University of Washington. Surprisingly, considering how ridiculous their initial GPA screen is, they seem to be fairly open to non-trads who appeal their rejection with at least 2 years of recent strong coursework.

That said, every Washington state resident abhors their initial GPA recalculation and screen :p
There's always WSU, PacNW, Touro-CA, both Westerns, UCSF (yes, UCSF), TUNCOM and AZCOM on the west coast.

Are you sure its 2.7 cut off? I thought it was they multiplied the freshman year GPA by 1, sophomore year by 2, junior year by 3 and then this number had to be above 5.

I was supposed to be auto screened by UW but for some reason they let me through. I contacted their admissions office beforehand and they told me to try contacting them about it after I get rejected so I have no idea why I was "let through". But this was with the auto screen tool mentioned above. My GPA is above a 2.7. Just be sure to contact them.

There's always WSU, PacNW, Touro-CA, both Westerns, UCSF (yes, UCSF), TUNCOM and AZCOM on the west coast.
I'd actually be very interested to hear what you think about PNWU, if you're willing to share it. There seems to be some concern about the program from their current medical students.

EDIT: I never realized UCSF was friendly to WA students. Good to know!

I'd actually be very interested to hear what you think about PNWU, if you're willing to share it. There seems to be some concern about the program from their current medical students.

EDIT: I never realized UCSF was friendly to WA students. Good to know!
There have been SDNers who have reinvented themselves who made it into UCSF.

I haven't heard of any troubles at PacNW...if students there can share (by PM), I'd interested in hearing this.

Is this is still the practice of UW? If so I made a 2.63....which is even more frustrating. This is going off my own transcript calculation though, they are semester credits, and equally divided as 30-60-90 by semesters. I'm living on the prayer that AMCAS will calculate my 1nd,2nd,3rd years differently based on credit hours earned, not based on the semesters times they were earned. If that were the case then it would pull some of my higher grades into the formula and probably bump me to a 2.7

Short answer: don't be like me kids and be sure to do well in school.

It was on their website at least 1-2 cycles ago. Now I can't find it and they just vaguely mention that the GPA calculation includes the first 3 years, but they don't saw WHAT the cut off is.

There have been SDNers who have reinvented themselves who made it into UCSF.

I haven't heard of any troubles at PacNW...if students there can share (by PM), I'd interested in hearing this.
Some extensive forum stalking on my part indicates that @sylvanthus is a graduate of PNWU who has expressed many of same things I've heard from current students - mainly concerns about the quality of clinical sites.

Is this is still the practice of UW? If so I made a 2.63....which is even more frustrating. This is going off my own transcript calculation though, they are semester credits, and equally divided as 30-60-90 by semesters. I'm living on the prayer that AMCAS will calculate my 1nd,2nd,3rd years differently based on credit hours earned, not based on the semesters times they were earned. If that were the case then it would pull some of my higher grades into the formula and probably bump me to a 2.7

Short answer: don't be like me kids and be sure to do well in school.

I spoke to admissions before applying this cycle and they confirmed that the only pre-screen was for a 2.7 cGPA. Below that your application will not be looked at but you will have the option of appealing if that happens.

I'm surprised at this new info. Most schools autoscreen at the first three years only ? I thought med schools base approved applications upon the applicant's final CGPA(after they had graduated or before their sr year )
" worried "

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

how low would I be auto screened out?

Last edited:
I'm surprised at this new info. Most schools autoscreen at the first three years only ? I thought med schools base approved applications upon the applicant's final CGPA(after they had graduated or before their sr year )
" worried "

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Where on earth did you get "most" from this thread? Everyone is talking about one specific school that uses this practice.

Im not from WA at all but when I didn't know any better about OOS etc. i was looking at their admissions site and I do specifically remember they weighted the years as someone else said- Fresh x1 Soph x2 Jun x3 and Sen x4. They must have changed it since this previous way seems to be more favorable of an upward trend

Im not from WA at all but when I didn't know any better about OOS etc. i was looking at their admissions site and I do specifically remember they weighted the years as someone else said- Fresh x1 Soph x2 Jun x3 and Sen x4. They must have changed it since this previous way seems to be more favorable of an upward trend

They still use that calculation when evaluating applications. However, they pre-screen for an overall 2.7 GPA prior to even getting to this step. Not sure if this pre-screen is based on first 3 years or overall GPA.