1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Expected Progression

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by LabDoc33, 09.28.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. LabDoc33

LabDoc33

Pre-Medical
    Hey friends,

So I just took my first practice MCAT today, I am not even relatively close to being done content review as I am taking physics 2 and orgo 2 this semester, as well as being done about 1 month out of 4 months into a TPR course.

So I got a 22 today (8/7/7), which I'm pretty content with as a starting point. I'm gunning for anything north of 28, since I wish to apply to DO schools.

My test date is January 23rd, I work full time so its very hard to study anything > 3 hours a day right now, however come December my school semester ends, and I have it worked out with my employer that I will only be working part time, so I can focus on nothing but the MCAT for the last 5 weeks of prep.

My question is, for those experienced MCAT'ers, how can I be expected to progress?/ how rapidly have you progressed? I have access to all AAMC practice tests and all TPR practice tests.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. neekzg

neekzg 5+ Year Member

I would wait to take all of your practice tests until those last 5 weeks, or at least until you're done with content review. You'll be able to gauge your progression more accurately only after you've finished those last pre-reqs and all of your content review. Was the test that you took from TPR or AAMC? Your science scores will likely go up naturally as you re-familiarize yourself with all the material/learn the rest of the material and get used to the testing format. Your verbal seems to need some work; I'm not sure how great the TPR Verbal course you're taking is (some of my friends that have taken the Westwood/LA TPR course hated their verbal instructors) so make sure to practice with any resources you can get your hands on.

4. LabDoc33

LabDoc33

Pre-Medical
    My practice test was AAMC 10. I now have 18 practice tests at my disposal (8 AAMC? and the rest TPR) , I plan on taking one every 2 weeks just to build my endurance and keep reassessing with a grain of salt. I plan on saving the AAMC's until those 5 weeks.

I know I fell apart on verbal at the end of it, the last two passages I missed 7 questions total, so that's an issue with endurance I would like to believe.

I don't love my verbal instructor, I think I will benefit much more from practice, which I truly have done none of yet. I have the TPR VWB and EK 101 verbal to work with.

I am TOTALLY lacking in content knowledge, the questions that require analysis of an experiment I find I do relatively well, its the background knowledge I'm weak on.

5. ciestar

ciestar 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    My one major criticism of the TPR course.
    They want you to burn a majorly important AAMC at the very beginning, which you shouldn't.

6. LabDoc33

LabDoc33

Pre-Medical
    I absolutely agree @ciestar I refuse to use any other AAMC's besides 3 (which isn't totally indicative of the most recent test form) between now and December when its grind time. I plan on using TPR tests, I'm also thinking about getting Gold Standard tests but I honestly don't know if I will have enough time to do all these FL's.

I honestly thought AAMC was easier relatively compared to TPR passages online, but this certain test may have just played to my strengths of what I definitely know thus far.

About the ads