expensive dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor.doctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So it comes down to the fact that I only got accepted to two dental schools this cycle (NYU and USC). These two schools are the top most expensive schools. Is it even worth going to either given the fact that I will be half a million dollars in debt after I graduate from either of the schools? NYU is slightly cheaper, but still very expensive. Which one do you think is worth going to if at all? Which school gives you more bank for your buck?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

USC is pbl, which might not be your cup of tea.

If you have no idea what that is, time to do more research on the schools. Just google “usc dental sdn” and “NYU dental sdn” “NYU vs usc sdn” and compare.

Reactions: 1 user
OP probably knows what pbl is because they do it in the interview. I would say your decision should be made based on where you live and want to practice since they are similar in reputation. I would also look up the living costs at both schools because if one school is even 20k cheaper after taking cost of living into account then I would probably go to the cheaper one.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! So it comes down to the fact that I only got accepted to two dental schools this cycle (NYU and USC). These two schools are the top most expensive schools. Is it even worth going to either given the fact that I will be half a million dollars in debt after I graduate from either of the schools? NYU is slightly cheaper, but still very expensive. Which one do you think is worth going to if at all? Which school gives you more bank for your buck?

Thank you in advance!

If you are not getting any financial help I’d say it’s not worth it.

Reactions: 3 users

Thank you in advance!

Is that 1/2 million taking into consideration the 10% tuition hikes you'll have every year and the inflation in cost-of-living as well? I really don't think it's worth it - not when there are so many great careers out there that don't require this weird pseudo-slavery of debt. But don't just take it from me, ask some real dentists on DentalTown or elsewhere.

Reactions: 2 users
NYUCD. If you live in la, you need a car.
I don't think you need a car in NY.
Also, I don't think PBL is worth the money.

Reactions: 1 users
I get that you're looking for an answer but it all depends on how much you're willing to put in and If you went this far, it shouldn't really matter what us anonymous people on SDN tell you. Keep in mind that there's always someone who is willing to take your place. The dental career is not as lucrative as before and you will have to put in a lot more work to obtain that financial success, so if you chose dental for that easy-going life many of us were told, then I'd advise you to rethink your career choice. Do your research on SDN and dentaltown (you will need to email the admin about you being a pre-dental to make an account). Dentaltown is made up of more people who are actual dentist and dental students but if you do not want to go through the hassle of making an account, I'll give you the majority's opinion. A lot of the older generation will tell you it's not worth it, but you can argue that humanity improves overtime, and we will just have to work harder than them to achieve that status of success. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger :p

More info if you're interested :) It's not just 400k-500k on graduation because schools like to increase their tuition ~5% every year plus the accruing interest. When I was at the USC interview they made it seem super easy to pay the tuition with payment plans like REPAYE and PAYE but maybe I was a bit absent-minded and only heard what I wanted to hear and thus I did not hear anything about the tax-bomb. Articles about the Meru who owes about $1 million and the article states how he's able to do it because of the loan forgiveness and he's basically benefiting from the system, but what they don't talk about is the tax bomb he will have to pay at the end, which would be in addition to the payment he has been making for 20-25 years. He will have already paid much more than what he took out... It's not really loan forgiveness, but a pay-over-time as you work and when you've made it pay me a bunch before you can gain your financial freedom. I'm going to attend a pretty pricey dental school :) Personally, I prefer USC over NYU.

Reactions: 1 users
USC, is your gonna pay that kind of money at least chill in the sun.

Reactions: 3 users
I know this post is old, but I came across it and so might someone else. What did you end up choosing?

why would you apply there if you are hesitant to go there? unless im missing something

Reactions: 1 user