Experience filling out NRMP Rank Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Voxel

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for radiology and preliminary med/transitional year. How does the the process work? For instance, if I wanted X radiology spot and Y prelim spot, or wanted to do X and Y in the same city? Is there any limit to how many programs I put on my rank list? I have not seen the interface yet, but am curious. Please share your experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Voxel - There is no limit to the number of programs you can rank. In your case, you would rank the radiology residencies first and each residency would have another rank list for your internship year. For example:

1. MGH Radiology
a. Boston U - Medicine Prelim
b. Baystate - Transitional Year
c. St. Vincent's - Transitional Year
d. Mt. Sinai (Cabrini) - Medicine Prelim

2. Albert Einstein Radiology
a. St. Vincent's - Transitional Year
b. Mt. Sinai (Cabrini) - Medicine Prelim

3. St. Vincent's - Transitional Year
4. Baystate - Transitional Year

The main match (numbered programs) will determine which internship rank list (lettered programs)gets used (if any). Some people will rank some TYs or prelims (I wouldn't recommend ranking medicine prelims separately) just in case they don't match for residency. I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Advantages:

? You get the opportunity to spend one full year learning real medicine. Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

? If you don't match into Radiology and you decide to go into IM, you can start as a PGY-2 rather than a PGY-1.

Disadvantages:

? A Radiology program whose intern has done a prelim in medicine will have one less year of full payment from Medicare's Direct Graduate Medical Education (DGME) fund when compared to a TY intern.

? You are forced to suffer through one year in Internal Medicine. :(

When you apply for internship and residency at the same time, the program doesn't really know which type of internship you will match into. However, if you are scrambling or reapplying during your internship, they will know what type of internship you are doing. Therefore, they could favor one applicant over another due to funding.

[If you don't match into Radiology and "you decide to go into IM", you can start as a PGY-2 rather than a PGY-1.]

Did you say decide to go into IM? Did I read that right 'cause I had to read it twice? :D I'd rather go into path than IM at this point. I would try to find a radiology spot during PGY1 before trying to match into path.

Don't get me started on "real medicine". I know you were joking but it rubs us radiologists the wrong way sometimes. ;) We know you guys are in the trenches and we appreciate the work you do.