Experience hours at UF / Gainesville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoxydude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Im going to be at UF starting this fall, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for places to get clinic/animal hours?:idea:

Ive heard some people work there at the vet college's clinic, is that true? If so how do I get in on that :) ?

Members don't see this ad.

Funny I just called/emailed them regarding a similar issue yesterday. They said they do not allow shadowing or volunteering in either the small or large clinics they have. I dont know about paid positions however.

hmmm.... last time I was in Gainesville I talked to a guy who worked there at the vet college and got to ask him a bunch of questions. He said that most people who came from UF for undergrad and got rejected ended up working there at the clinic until the next round of applications.

So, I guess he must have meant as a paid position?

IDK, but thanks for the info. Lets hope we can find experience hours somewhere else :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm.... last time I was in Gainesville I talked to a guy who worked there at the vet college and got to ask him a bunch of questions. He said that most people who came from UF for undergrad and got rejected ended up working there at the clinic until the next round of applications.

So, I guess he must have meant as a paid position?

IDK, but thanks for the info. Lets hope we can find experience hours somewhere else :)

It's tough in Gainesville because of the large amount of pre-vets. I ended up calling/going in person to various clinics until I found one that allowed me to volunteer. If distance is not a problem, you can look at ones farther away from UF. They seem to be more welcoming of volunteers.

I used to be a grad student at the vet school at UF. I worked at a vet clinic in Micanopy. . .called Micanopy Animal Hospital. Dr.Pearson is AWESOME and she owns the clinic. She graduated from UF herself and pretty much the whole staff is undergrads wanting to go to vet school so she is great to get experience with!! Look them up. . .she might even be hiring. . . lots of students leave for the summer and others get into vet school and will be leaving by August. I haven't worked there for awhile but you should check it out. Also, I think Surburban Animal Hospital in Gainesville does volunteering/shadowing? Another idea would be to try and get some research experience in some of the labs on campus. That is always a great thing to have on your application as well. Good luck!

THANKS GUYS!! You guys are the greatrest!!! I appreciate all of the help!!

I currently work at the UF vet school now as an emergency technician in SA (used to do LA also) and as a research assistant. I got the first job by applying online through the school's employment website and the second by sending out emails to a bunch of departments within the vet school. It wasn't easy, but I would highly recommend trying to get as involved as humanly possible in the college. The faculty and practicing veterinarians are so helpful and have been a big part of helping me get into vet schools this year. Good luck and PM me if you have any more questions.

Thats awesome!!! Thanks for the info! I will definitely try this. Do you happen to remember the address to the employment website? That would be the greatest if I could work there.

jobs.ufl.edu

*side note* on drop down menus don't choose "main campus" as a county location as the vet school is technically not on the main campus ;)

also, you may have trouble getting a job at the vet school working as a tech (might be able to get other jobs however) as last I recall they were ensuring that all tech staff were licensed (or if already hired, were paying them to get educated/licensed) -- could have changed or remembering incorrectly.

Last edited: