Experience section of AMCAS app -- help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiquita888

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

1) Are most people lumping their shadowing experiences under one experience then going into more detail (e.g. type of doctor) under "Description"?

2) Is it a good idea to lump ALL the positions for one organization also as one experience? I've held a different leadership position in the same organization for about 5 semesters. I don't necessarily want to list them all as separate experiences, but if I lump them and all the 5 shadowing experiences I've had into two experiences, won't my experience section look very slim in comparison to everyone else's?

3) I shadowed different docs in the ER over the course of a semester for a class. Should I still mention that in the experience section, even though it was part of a class?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

1) Are most people lumping their shadowing experiences under one experience then going into more detail (e.g. type of doctor) under "Description"?

2) Is it a good idea to lump ALL the positions for one organization also as one experience? I've held a different leadership position in the same organization for about 5 semesters. I don't necessarily want to list them all as separate experiences, but if I lump them and all the 5 shadowing experiences I've had into two experiences, won't my experience section look very slim in comparison to everyone else's?

3) I shadowed different docs in the ER over the course of a semester for a class. Should I still mention that in the experience section, even though it was part of a class?

thanks!

I would mention all of my experiences - even if it was part of a class. Organize them into something logical - by organization is a valid method. If they were two different types of experience (shadowing vs management), I would divide them that way. And btw, do you really think they go by your experience section "looking" slim? Fluffing up your application won't get you far... they can spot hard work when they see it and I'd hope they can spot BS when they see it too.

I would mention all of my experiences - even if it was part of a class. Organize them into something logical - by organization is a valid method. If they were two different types of experience (shadowing vs management), I would divide them that way. And btw, do you really think they go by your experience section "looking" slim? Fluffing up your application won't get you far... they can spot hard work when they see it and I'd hope they can spot BS when they see it too.

He's right. Quality will trump quantity in that section everytime. Listing an organization and then listing all the positions you held in your description should be fine...they will read the descriptions as long as they're not too verbose.

Members don't see this ad :)
He's right. Quality will trump quantity in that section everytime. Listing an organization and then listing all the positions you held in your description should be fine...they will read the descriptions as long as they're not too verbose.

I'm spending quite a bit of time on these descriptions too going into detail about what I did for each experience. Is that too verbose???

I'm spending quite a bit of time on these descriptions too going into detail about what I did for each experience. Is that too verbose???

I said that based on that same mistake I made and was told about later. Also, I've seen recent posts by LizzyM (adcom member) on here who said to keep the descriptions as short and to the point as possible.