Experiencing double vision through loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JCLewis90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm about to start my 2nd year of dental school, so it's time for me to get my hands on some loupes. Last semester, I was measured and ordered the Rydon frame with 2.5x mag from Orascoptic. Upon receiving the loupes and trying them on, I quickly realized something wasn't right with them. I was experiencing double vision to the point that I couldn't focus well enough to practice with them on my typodont in our sim lab. I shipped them off 2 or 3 times for Orascoptic to make adjustments, but the result was always the same. I found that when pushing in on the temple area of the frames, the telescopes would fan outward and the image would come into focus. After several readjustments by Orascoptic without fixing the problem, I switched to Designs For Vision. I got their Nike Skylon Ace frames. When they came in, I tried them on and had the same exact problem.

Has anyone ever had this problem? My Designs For Vision representative is thinking that these flexible sport frames that I've been getting are just too flexible for me and are bowing inward when I put them on. I don't have a big head at all, for what it's worth haha. I have 20/20 vision and have never experienced anything like this before. I'd really appreciate any advice.. I need to have loupes pretty soon

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If your classmates have the adjustable interpupillary types of loupes, ask them to let you try their loupes. You can adjust the interpupillary distance and see if that would help.

Return the loupes and get some flip-ups, you'll be able to adjust the IP distance yourself and save yourself from shipping them off and being without loupes for weeks. At this point, you don't have much to lose by trying out some flip ups.

Return the loupes and get some flip-ups, you'll be able to adjust the IP distance yourself and save yourself from shipping them off and being without loupes for weeks. At this point, you don't have much to lose by trying out some flip ups.

THIS. I couldn't get on the loupes bandwagon in dental school, so I got myself some Surigtel Flip-ups in residency. Moved the IP distance as much as I wanted until I was happy with it. Five years later, I got through the lens ones and they just copied my IP distance from those.