Experiment equations confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Just wondering if anyone can clear this up for me
I have to do a pharmacokinetics lab. Basically we did a Sodium Salicylate IV and orally.

I have the Bioavailabilty F which is 0.422 which I got by dividing the AUC oral by AUCiv.

My confusion is with the clearance equation.

I have clearance = dose/auc iv

For the Clearance for the oral = Dose x F/Auc is this the AUC for the oral or the IV
with the AUC for the Oral I get the same clearance?
They both had the same dosage concentration which is 120mg/kg. Scenario is for a 600kg horse.

Should the clearances be the same? I get 0.0019 for the clearance of both. 0.0008 if I use the AUCiv so I assume that the lower the AUC the higher the clearance?? Then the 0.0008 can not be right.

I am guessing clearance has nothing to do with the route? Once they are both in the blood?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is not. And I am ashamed to say I cannot answer it. :oops:

I don't think route matters for clearance, but I don't want to say that and have some of our genius pharmacy peeps come in and correct me. :laugh:

EDIT: I guess I should move it to the correct forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clearance should not be dependent on the route of administration. Your F takes care of the differences in absorption. Once is in the bloodstream, it gets cleared at a certain rate, dependent on kidneys, liver, lungs, sweat, etc.

I assume that the lower the AUC the higher the clearance??
Look at your equation: Cl = DF/AUC.

Lets get rid of all the fancy variables and see how similar it is to an equation we're familiar with: y=1/x. Inverse relationship.

It is not. And I am ashamed to say I cannot answer it. :oops:

I don't think route matters for clearance, but I don't want to say that and have some of our genius pharmacy peeps come in and correct me. :laugh:

EDIT: I guess I should move it to the correct forum.

You can't be serious, this is first year stuff. :rolleyes:

You have never been wrong about something simple? I wasn't even wrong, I just wasn't 100% sure that route never matters for clearance. :p

I've been wrong for simple stuff many times of course :smuggrin:, I was just suprised you said you couldn't answer it and was thinking some pharmacy genius could answer it, since I thought we were both class of 2013 ?

Not trying to be a smart ass, was just genuinely suprised since that was like the biggest thing emphasized to us during first year/first quarter pharmacokinetics.

Be nice. I have forgotten a lot of stuff I don't use often.

I really meant nothing offensive by it but was suprised. See this is why I started my thread about communication difficultities, since people misinterpret my actions often even with most harmless intent. :(

I really meant nothing offensive by it but was suprised. See this is why I started my thread about communication difficultities, since people misinterpret my actions often even with most harmless intent. :(

no worries. I just have to stick up for my owle buddy. :)

I've been wrong for simple stuff many times of course :smuggrin:, I was just suprised you said you couldn't answer it and was thinking some pharmacy genius could answer it, since I thought we were both class of 2013 ?

Not trying to be a smart ass, was just genuinely suprised since that was like the biggest thing emphasized to us during first year/first quarter pharmacokinetics.

:laugh:

I wasn't offended, so no worries. Like I said, I thought that was the case but just wasn't sure. I didn't really think it would take a genius to answer the question. ;)

I am c/o 2013, BTW. We both started rotations recently, right? Do you have any classes left before graduation? We go back for 6 weeks of classes after rotations before we get to graduate.

:laugh:

I wasn't offended, so no worries. Like I said, I thought that was the case but just wasn't sure. I didn't really think it would take a genius to answer the question. ;)

I am c/o 2013, BTW. We both started rotations recently, right? Do you have any classes left before graduation? We go back for 6 weeks of classes after rotations before we get to graduate.

No I am done. Slavery is over for me, thank god. :luck: Just rotations and graduation research project and I am done ~ a year from now. Well, good, looks like we'll be entering match process together comrade, perphas even interview together, who knows ? :luck:

I don't start rotations until May 14th. Then there are 8 blocks of 6 weeks, then maybe 2-3 weeks of classes (board review, new drugs, new laws, etc). Is it normal to start rotations as early as you guys do? Did your semesters always end in April?

I don't start rotations until May 14th. Then there are 8 blocks of 6 weeks, then maybe 2-3 weeks of classes (board review, new drugs, new laws, etc). Is it normal to start rotations as early as you guys do? Did your semesters always end in April?

no, ends in June, but P4s graduated so we are technically and logistically become P4s now.