Experimental Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brightsideup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few questions about the MA. What are they looking for in applicants? Are they very competitive? Do I say that I'm using it as a stepping stone for a PhD in my personal statement? Any program suggestions? I'd prefer to stay in Texas or at least the south.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, as in many cases in the application process the answer is "it depends". Programs vary in what they want out of their applicants, and they also vary in how rigorous they are. I think I saw a posting with a list of funded Master's programs that would be a good place to start--there were a lot of good programs on that list. As for the rest of your questions, I'll give you some feedback on my experience.

I just received my M.A. from a top-ranked general psych program. Our program is very competitive, taking around 10 students a year. My sense is that they look for applicants who have solid to strong grades & GRE scores. They also want students who have research experience. Most grad students come in with research experience on several projects or for multiple years (presentations can help, too). An honor's thesis doesn't hurt either, but it is not required. Our program is very research oriented,
so they want students who have demonstrated that they have worked on research and want to continue on that path.

Unless your Master's program is a terminal degree, definitely mention that you want to continue onto a Ph.D.. That is the primary goal of my program, and they want students who want to use their program as a stepping stone.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Good luck! :luck: