expired Step score on USMLE transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruitloops

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Step 1 and passed it in 1995. Since that was more than 7 years ago, I retook Step 1 and passed this year--with a higher score:cool:. Will my USMLE transcript show my old expired score as well as my newest score?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, your transcript will list all attempts and scores.

For my own interest, how did you convince the USMLE to let you do this? Did you need a letter from ECFMG, or a state board, or just ask nicely?

Yes, your transcript will list all attempts and scores.

For my own interest, how did you convince the USMLE to let you do this? Did you need a letter from ECFMG, or a state board, or just ask nicely?

A step score expires after 7 years if all steps haven't been taken.

I was told that my score expired since I hadn't taken all the Steps. There was no obstacle when I applied to take the exam again.

I took Step 1 and passed it in 1995. Since that was more than 7 years ago, I retook Step 1 and passed this year--with a higher score:cool:. Will my USMLE transcript show my old expired score as well as my newest score?

I have what I think is a more important question. What have you been doing over the past 15 years and what are you planning to do now that you've retaken Step 1?

Did you complete med school, not take Step 2 and are now trying to get into a residency? US or foreign grad?

Or did you have a break in med school? What for? PhD, Post-doc and faculty position?

Or did you just totally bail on med school back then, come back and do it all over again and now you're ready to rock?

Mostly just curious but if it's any but the last option (and maybe the 2nd one) you've got an uphill battle ahead of you.

Reactions: 1 user
I have what I think is a more important question. What have you been doing over the past 15 years and what are you planning to do now that you've retaken Step 1?

Did you complete med school, not take Step 2 and are now trying to get into a residency? US or foreign grad?

Or did you have a break in med school? What for? PhD, Post-doc and faculty position?

Or did you just totally bail on med school back then, come back and do it all over again and now you're ready to rock?

Mostly just curious but if it's any but the last option (and maybe the 2nd one) you've got an uphill battle ahead of you.
In other words, be prepared for questions like these when you interview. Gaps in your CV is something you will need to explain and you WILL get asked.

Out of curiosity, once I'm done with Step 1, 2 and 3, they become indefinitely valid?

I was told that my score expired since I hadn't taken all the Steps. There was no obstacle when I applied to take the exam again.

I have to admit, I am surprised by this. Here's what the USMLE says on their website:

TIME LIMIT AND NUMBER OF ATTEMPTS ALLOWED TO COMPLETE ALL STEPS
Although there is no limit on the total number of times you can retake a Step or Step Component you have not passed, the USMLE program recommends to medical licensing authorities that they:

• require the dates of passing the Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3 examinations to occur within a seven-year period;
  • and allow no more than six attempts to pass each Step or Step Component without demonstration of additional educational experience acceptable to the medical licensing authority.
For purposes of medical licensure in the United States, any time limit to complete the USMLE is established by the state medical boards. Most, but not all, use the recommended seven years as the time limit for completion of the full USMLE sequence. While medical schools may require students to pass one or more Steps for advancement and/or graduation, you should understand the implications for licensure. For states that establish a time limit for completion of all three Steps, the "clock" starts running on the date the first Step or Step Component is passed or, in some cases, on the date of the first attempt at any Step. General information regarding state-specific requirements for licensure can be obtained from the FSMB (www.fsmb.org). For definitive information, you should contact directly the licensing authority in the jurisdiction in which you intend to seek licensure.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this, but I interpreted it to mean that there is no official USMLE expire date. IMG's not completing Step 1-2CK-2CS in 7 years might automatically be granted permission to take a step again, as ECFMG requires this.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my response. I had read the same information that you cited above. Knowing that I needed to get ECFMG certified, I realized that I needed to take Step 1 again and then proceed to Step 2. When I reapplied to take Step 1, I think they also provided this same information you cited and they allowed me to register and take it without asking for any special permission.

The gap in my timeline is due to leaving medical school and then finishing later at a different program. There were serious family issues involved and I needed to get away. AProgDirector, I don't know how specific I should be when I explain the circumstances. Also, I'm planning to mention it somewhere on my ERAS application. I'm hoping not to mention it in my personal statement because I think it will detract from the good research and good mentors I've worked with in medical school. Any advice?

There's a box in the ERAS application asking if your training was interrupted or extended. If you answer yes, you then get a box in which to explain it. You will certainly talk about it there.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to admit, I am surprised by this. Here's what the USMLE says on their website:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this, but I interpreted it to mean that there is no official USMLE expire date. IMG's not completing Step 1-2CK-2CS in 7 years might automatically be granted permission to take a step again, as ECFMG requires this.

I am surprised that APD hadn't known about the seven year rule or at least maybe hasn't had experience with residents who were facing various scenarios regarding the rule.

As I understood it, you need to pass Step 1, 2 (both parts) and Step 3 within seven years per most state medical boards. Some state medical boards don't care when you passed them as long as they are passed (I think). The knowledge tested in Step 1 is somewhat different from Step 2 and Step 3, I guess the thinking is that if you passed them in under seven years then you've got the knowledge base to continue in residency training and be a doctor.

I think they want to avoid having someone who passed say Step 1 and maybe Step 2 a decade ago, they study hard for Step 3 and barely pass and get a residency, but they haven't had micro, pharm, etc . . . recently enough to be able to assimilate new knowledge in residency?

If you passed Step 1 more than seven years ago, but still have an M.D. from a school, then you could retake Step 1 and pass the whole sequence and thereby prove that you are somewhat up to date, or at least knowledgeable enough to begin residency training.

There's a box in the ERAS application asking if your training was interrupted or extended. If you answer yes, you then get a box in which to explain it. You will certainly talk about it there.
How vague/specific should an explanation be in the ERAS application?

I like to be direct and to the point and I don't want to gouge the program director's eyes out with word padding. "Less is more" -- but I don't want to come across as a shady character. Know what I mean?

I am surprised that APD hadn't known about the seven year rule or at least maybe hasn't had experience with residents who were facing various scenarios regarding the rule.

As I understood it, you need to pass Step 1, 2 (both parts) and Step 3 within seven years per most state medical boards. Some state medical boards don't care when you passed them as long as they are passed (I think). The knowledge tested in Step 1 is somewhat different from Step 2 and Step 3, I guess the thinking is that if you passed them in under seven years then you've got the knowledge base to continue in residency training and be a doctor.

These are not the same issue. The "7 year rule" with respect to medical boards is state by state, and I'm pretty sure aPD was aware of this. Just because you want a license in state X (with the 7 year rule) however doesn't mean you get to take the exams again. You just don't get a license.

aPD (and the OP) was referring to the fact that ECFMG requires you to pass all 3 steps in 7 years. For some reason, this gets you another chance to take the Steps again. Not sure I understand the rationale behind this, but whatever.

Hello,
I am preparing to re-take my Step-1 after my first scores expired. I applied for my scheduling permit and its been more than 6 weeks and have not received my scheduling permit. When i call the ECFMG people they keep telling me that they send it to NBME for approval and it is being processed. Do you remember how much time it took for you to get your scheduling permit after you applied?
Thank you.

Hello,
I am preparing to re-take my Step-1 after my first scores expired. I applied for my scheduling permit and its been more than 6 weeks and have not received my scheduling permit. When i call the ECFMG people they keep telling me that they send it to NBME for approval and it is being processed. Do you remember how much time it took for you to get your scheduling permit after you applied?
Thank you.

The OP posted that more than 6 years ago and hasn't been around.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users