Explain this... (UW Self Assessment)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I decided to do the UW Self Assessment Exam instead of another NBME because I didn't want to spend 45$ and not be able to review the answers. And I also wanted to see what areas I was weakest in. Anyhow, I did it, and I think overall the difficulty is much harder than NBME II or IV (the ones I've done), but the questions are pretty good (although some are a little too similar to UW qbank questions).

Anyhow, i went to look at my score report and, well take a look at it. It doesn't make any sense. How could I be borderline/lower in nearly every subject and still pull a 244? I am confused. I was under the impression that the band was incomparison to everyone, not just your own scores.

UW.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

It is most likely based on their pre-established standard and not how everyone else does in it.

Did anyone else notice the typo?

General principles of health & decease

By their soon to be correction you will see how true it is they lurk these forums :laugh:

I think it is probably because it only came out a few weeks ago. Maybe only really, really smart people have taken it so far. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Your performance is plotted on a scale of 200 to 800. The shaded region indicates the border line performance. Performance bands in subjects and systems indicate relative strengths and weaknesses, while the width of a band reflects the consistency of performance in a subject/system. A narrow band indicates consistent performance, while a wide band is suggestive of inconsistent performance.

At least I know I consistently suck at renal (well, I already knew as much).

surebreC,

Sorry....don't get your score report. I'm confused too?? :confused:

How can your score be a 244, yet most of your subjects are either boderline/low??

How did you do on NBME 2 and 4? Are the results similar/comparable to the UW self-assesment?

Was there an equal distribution of questions in each category? If not, then weighting would explain the score.

Was there an equal distribution of questions in each category? If not, then weighting would explain the score.

I think this is probably correct. I looked at the breakdown and it looks like I was getting >80% of path questions correct and they accounted for the majority of the questions.

Most of your bars actually stretch over most of the score range. Is this like the NBME where width of bands indicates precision of measurement?

If so, those bands seem huge compared to what I saw on my NBME report.

Does this basically mean that there isn't enough data to precisely place your bar in the score sheet? or not enough questions in each subject?

Most of your bars actually stretch over most of the score range. Is this like the NBME where width of bands indicates precision of measurement?

If so, those bands seem huge compared to what I saw on my NBME report.

Does this basically mean that there isn't enough data to precisely place your bar in the score sheet? or not enough questions in each subject?

I don't know, those bars really confuse the crap out of me. I guess it's the range of where you score compared to other people? So if you miss a question that everyone else gets and get a question that everyone else misses you will span from one end to the other? My NBME bars were much more compact than that but reviewing it I see some really careless mistakes in my part (i.e. not completely reading a question because I thought I knew the answer).

I just looked up the renal questions since I scored so lowly on those... I missed 3 out of 14 - how does that put me in such a tightly grouped "lower" score...

Got a response from UW (apparently they do read these forums). There was a glitch in the software which screwed up the score report (most of the bars should have been on the other side). They fixed it and now the bars correlate with the score.